Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202573 - 05/28/10 10:42 AM Question about military SURPLUS stores
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am from outside the U.S. And I have seen several prepping websites and you-tube videos, and many of them refer to "surplus stores". Looking at the variety of packs, stoves, cooking sets and many others, I have to say : I am jealous. However, my question here is more about the nature of such business. And it is mainly about "preparedness" kind of stuff. No knives or firearm related items.

So, anyone here knows how does it work ? I suppose they are all pivately owned. So how do they get their merchandise? Is it new or used ?

Maybe a good idea for a third world guy thinking of starting a small business. So, if you have an insight there (business-wise), it's very much appreciated.

#202574 - 05/28/10 11:03 AM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In the years following World War II, there was a huge amount of military surplus sold through small, generally independent, retailers. Some was in good shape, and the careful shopper could find bargains.

Recently, most of the merchandise is rather poor quality. Usable military surplus is rather hard to find (at least that is my perception).

I have scored some great deals over the years. Mil surp bearpaw snowshoes for $7.50 - in great shape and ready for the trails. I still use a US Army Mountain Cookset, 1951, that is lightweight and durable. Paid less than $5 for it sometime around 1960.

If you like to bargain hunt, you will love surplus stores. But caveat emptor! You are likely to find better stuff at your local "goodwill" store these days (IMO)

#202575 - 05/28/10 11:57 AM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: hikermor]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
The military gets rid of their old, used up stuff, through several channels. What normally happens is that troops turn in used gear to a civilian run facility (I believe we used to call it the DRMO, but I may be wrong). If it is deemed unserviceable, then it is put aside. From what I understand, civvies get first crack at buying them. Or simply take them home. They will then resell it to surplus stores. Thats one way it makes it into the stores.
The other way is simply troops selling their gear back to them, or to other people, who eventually sell it to a surplus store. I have sold a few items, having them written off as "losses", as I could make more money selling it than it cost me to replace it through the military.
One other way is that the US has large inventories of gear that will never be issued. Sleeping bags, uniforms, mess kits, old web gear-it takes up space. They sell it to a contractor, who in turn sells it off to whoever.
I agree with Hikermor-beware of what you but. Some of this stuff is 50+ years old. Old sleeping bags may be in poor shape; old metal frame rucksacks may have broken frames (I snapped 4 in my career alone), and the older cotton gear may be rotten. Its best to have the item in hand, and physically inspect it, before purchasing something. Not to say that there arent great deals-I recently bought a wool blanket, issue, brand new, for $20 I think. Never used. Deals ARE out there-you just gotta go with a good dealer.

#202576 - 05/28/10 12:25 PM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: oldsoldier]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
From what I've seen lately, you gotta ask, "Who's military?" Some of it only appears as military. An AR-15 also looks military, but despite it's mean looks, under the skin only a semi-auto rifle. I stay away from Mil Surplus.

#202577 - 05/28/10 01:06 PM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: hikermor]
ajax Offline

Around us the PX or surplus stores usually get their stock from returning or discharged soldiers. Ammo cans and older style gear is probably sold off by the military in bulk.

About 99% is used, sometimes you'll find some pristine stuff from a desk jockey who never went into the field with his gear. Very rarely you'll come across an unused field jacket, rain gear or boots.

#202579 - 05/28/10 01:12 PM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: Russ]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
If you want a good deal on Military Surplus... only in the united states, I believe, I may be wrong. But IMS Plus has some of the Best military surplus gear around that I have seen. They only have one store in Edwardsville, IL, but they need more!! No affiliation, just happy with their service. smile

#202581 - 05/28/10 01:21 PM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: sybert777]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
IMS Plus ships to the following countries listed below!
U.S. Armed Forces APO/FPO - AA, AE & AP (all locations - please use U.S. as shipping country)
American Samoa (please use U.S. as shipping country)
Aruba
Australia
Austria
Bahamas
Bahrain
Barbados
Belgium
Bermuda
Bulgaria
Canada
China
Croatia (Hrvatska)
Czech Republic
Denmark
Egypt
Federated States of Micronesia (please use U.S. as shipping country)
Fiji
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Greenland
Guam (please use U.S. as shipping country)
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Korea, Republic of
Kuwait
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Marshall Islands (please use U.S. as shipping country)
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Northern Mariana Islands (please use U.S. as shipping country)
Norway
Palau (please use U.S. as shipping country)
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico (please use U.S. as shipping country)
Saudi Arabia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Turkey
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
United States (Including Alaska & Hawaii)
Virgin Islands (please use U.S. as shipping country

#202585 - 05/28/10 03:00 PM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: sybert777]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Let me understand this because I am not a U.S. citizen and do not know much about American law. One poster said the soldiers SOLD their gear. Is this LAWFUL in the U.S. ? I mean all this surplus trading is legitimate and causes no legal problems ?

#202586 - 05/28/10 03:15 PM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I appreciate the insights about the mil surplus, I thought they were mixed : new and used. Marketing the used clothes or boots will be a mission impossible around here. Used American cars were popular a few years back, but clothes will be another story. Even used cookware maybe a problem to market because of local dietary beliefs and traditions.

I tried to visit IMS plus website and received a message that my IP has been blocked by whatever.... ( although my country is in the list ).

Too bad. But anyway I guess it's better to have a closer look at well known sources of outdoor stuff like Cabellas . From our local forums, I can see many happy customers there.

#202588 - 05/28/10 03:45 PM Re: Question about military SURPLUS stores [Re: Chisel]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
As other posters have mentioned, "military surplus" is a complex business.

One of the sources of mil surplus is Defense Reutilization and marketing services

http://www.drms.dla.mil/sales/

This is a great place to start looking for items interesting, useful and strange, and you simply bid on it and if you win, you sell it, keep it, whatever.

Another official source is http://www.govliquidation.com/

The selection of stuff is HUGE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.