Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#202739 - 05/31/10 04:55 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: LED]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There are barter systems currently in use all over the world. Most are kept within communities for obvious reasons. Some trades are direct exchanges, and some use coupons for specified values that can be used anywhere within the barter community.

Here's a local one in MA: http://www.wickedlocal.com/brewster/homepage/x1397979015

Sue

#202745 - 05/31/10 07:46 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: The_Urbivalist]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well new guy, I know I'm answering this a little late, but I've always said anything that is hard to impossible to make, or at least make well:

Small metal items- needles, pins, fishhooks, paperclips, nails, wire.

Cordage- everything from sewing thread to fishline to paracord to clothesline to hawser.

Salt.

Hand tools.

Basically, if you are the Americas, look to see which trade goods other than booze and firearms were the most in demand by the indigenous tribes in your area.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#202748 - 05/31/10 08:38 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: ironraven]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I last bartered in Moscow in 1982 - friend Feliks needed windshield wiper blades for his Dad's car, so we could drive out of town for a party. There were no Car Toys auto parts stores in the USSR back then, and precious few wiper blades apparently. Folks would remove them from their cars when going inside for the night, if they didn't they would probably be gone by the morning and end up on the market the next day. Which is where we went for our wiper blades - our neighborhood source had the blades, and wanted some apples, which we had. About 4 kilos of apples bought us a pair of lightly used wiper blades. Dollars might have been cheaper than apples, but we needed those for petrol, and vodka...

There's barter and then there's barter - no way would I trade guns and/or ammo to strangers or even friends of friends, its not worth it to me no matter what the exchange rate. Also, if I am a source of ammo in hard times, I'm the very kind of person I don't want to associate with, in hard times. If my brother needed some ammo then he can have some, no charge. I'm with Al, I don't foresee America going anywhere near a barter exchange economy.

#202764 - 05/31/10 11:59 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Lono]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I'm with Al, I don't foresee America going anywhere near a barter exchange economy.

By the Power of GreySkull I bet even Goldman Sachs already has a hedged derivatives collateralized debt obligation fund product in dune doubloons for the complex exchange rate future insurance transaction Ponzi scheme for the future post Euro Greek Drachma. wink Any investors anyone. whistle I'd even be willing to triple AAA rate the product myself for just 2% commission of any transaction value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWuoBoeKFyo

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/01/10 12:15 AM)

#202775 - 06/01/10 01:59 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Along with quantities of AA batteries and .22 cal ammo, I currently maintain a minimum stock of 100 rolls of good quality TP. As stated elsewhere, it will be currency if our 'just in time' ordering system is wiped out......oops.

#202783 - 06/01/10 09:21 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I currently maintain a minimum stock of 100 rolls of good quality TP

Good Call. It would seem that the preppers are now the new yuppies. shocked

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to-invest-for-the-debt-bomb-explosion-2010-02-09

Anyway as a prepper do we need to barter trade goods or haven't we prepared sufficiently well enough!!

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/01/10 10:05 AM)

#202797 - 06/01/10 03:27 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Anyway as a prepper do we need to barter trade goods or haven't we prepared sufficiently well enough!!

Always going to be something you need, even if it just a nicer version of what you already have.

Depends on how far you see the world declining - to Mad Max apocalypse levels or Zimbabwe financial meltdown levels. Either way, almost anything is suitable for barter, but it makes sense if it is something you would use yourself. Look at the things troops give to kids in warzones or tourists give to indigenous tourguides.

#202799 - 06/01/10 04:01 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: bigreddog]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I used to barter computer repairs for free treatment from my chiropractor. Her computer was in much better shape than my spine, though, so I ended up writing her a number of checks over the years.

An informal market for the barter of expertise is very common in my social circle. I've obtained free medical advice, extremely valuable legal assistance, mechanical expertise, and the names of reliable contractors. In exchange I've provided advice for preparing for emergencies, plumbing, electrical wiring, and other things.

To get back to the OP, if you have an established web of friendship and social obligation it will be much easier for you to get what you need via barter, and barter of expertise can be very valuable.

#202802 - 06/01/10 05:02 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: chaosmagnet]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Guys - No problem with the topic, but I think it's better in Natural/Long Term than urban, so I'm gonna move it

Edited by KG2V (06/01/10 05:03 PM)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#202804 - 06/01/10 05:28 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: KG2V]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Just remember, bartering for either goods or services, especially for a business, commercial or professional concern, is a reportable taxable event, at the FMV of the goods or services exchanged. I know no one here would even think of denying the dev..., er, tax collector his due.

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.