Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#202611 - 05/29/10 02:00 AM Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF?
The_Urbivalist Offline
Stranger

Loc: Southern California
In addition to rotating my perishables, my current focus has been trying to think of the best items to stockpile for possible barter.

In addition to food and precious metals, what are the best items to have for a possible bartering situation? Items that are small and can be stored in bulk etc...what has everyone else been stockpiling PURELY for barter purposes?

#202614 - 05/29/10 03:26 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Since you are also in So.Cal,I would suggest Good .22 Ammo,such as CCI-Velocitor.It normally retails for about $5-8 per box of 50,If...You can find it!The Pasadena,Ventura, OC&Ontario gunshows sell out of this same stuff,Usually the 1st day,though the prices are much lower than retail,$3-4 Usually.Re-loading supplies,i.e. Brass,primers,& Powder& Lead,are also Huge sellers,& tough to come by,as of late,At least in Central L.A. County!Whole Powdered milk has,Steadily been climbing in price,& quality/taste have gone down,as well as some Major brands are not to be found anymore.Nido by Nestle co. is about the only decent tasting Whole milk powder,Presently!Cream of Wheat/Rice & Malto-meal are at an All time high in price.Honey is/and will always be appealing to everyone,& is getting up there in price.Honey stores practically, Forever!Merino Wool Anything, is an Xlnt thing to have!Good Socks are Always Welcomed!Turkish Cotton Towels-400 thread count are sought by the elite.There is an active thread going right now,for Lodge Cast Ironware,of which is the very best thing going for "Precious"metals,Remember You can't eat/nor cook on Gold/Silver,well I wouldn't recommend it anyhow! Just some suggestions,Good Luck!

#202615 - 05/29/10 03:34 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't stock anything specifically for barter. But it has to be noted that if things get bad enough virtually anything might be attractive. Food and water would be needed by everyone. Of course, if things get bad enough, at least for some initial interval, until systems find things they can trade with, barter may not be entirely practical because so many have little or nothing to trade in return. People living hand-to-mouth with little other property lack the wherewithal to participate.

#202617 - 05/29/10 03:39 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Richlacal]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Hammers, nails, tarps, handsaws for structure fixing; hygiene items (esp TP), blankets, flashlights, batteries, rope/cordage, hand-crank radios.

Plenty of these things can be had inexpensive, especially if you are getting them for the sole purpose of barter.

My $.02

#202618 - 05/29/10 04:03 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

I think Barter will always be practical,Rich/poor/otherwise.You don't have to have material to barter.Wits,info,intel,labor,even humor would be welcomed.Everybody has something to exchange!Think of the old tale,Stone soup.Now that's a fine piece of Bartering during Hard Times!

#202619 - 05/29/10 04:06 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: MoBOB]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have extra ammo, but it's not purely for barter. I can use some and then replace it. It's small and can serve as currency in whatever amount is right. Plus, the people that will want ammo are likely to have stock piled something of value that I may want, like maybe fuel, a generator, frozen meat, fishing supplies or whatever. That's the beauty of stock piling ammo.

#202620 - 05/29/10 04:31 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: ireckon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I think Barter will always be practical,Rich/poor/otherwise.You don't have to have material to barter.Wits,info,intel,labor,even humor would be welcomed.Everybody has something to exchange!Think of the old tale,Stone soup.Now that's a fine piece of Bartering during Hard Times!

Actually the story of 'Stone soup' is a object lesson in community cooperation and collectivism. The stone adds nothing other than an excuse for people to contribute hoarded food stocks.

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I have extra ammo, but it's not purely for barter. I can use some and then replace it. It's small and can serve as currency in whatever amount is right. Plus, the people that will want ammo are likely to have stock piled something of value that I may want, like maybe fuel, a generator, frozen meat, fishing supplies or whatever. That's the beauty of stock piling ammo.

It is possible that other people and groups might have other things stockpiled. But it has to be noted that when barter comes up on survival, preparation and survivalist boards invariably one of the first thing mentioned for barter, and the one thing most write about having in quantity, is ammunition.

If everyone has ammunition, and it is not being consumed very rapidly, its value might be quite low.

#202621 - 05/29/10 04:44 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

I said Practical,Not Cynical! Stone soup has Nothing to do with Community,As it is of one soldier,& one old man!Collectivism? The soldier Bartered his wit for Nourishment,in a Village ravaged by War,lol!

#202623 - 05/29/10 04:59 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: ireckon]
ajax Offline

One of my friends is starting to stock up on scotch.

But I'm not sure if that's for barter...

Edited by ajax (05/29/10 05:00 AM)

#202624 - 05/29/10 05:13 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: ajax]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Hey! Thats an Xlnt idea,Scotch gets better with age,& If you don't use it for awhile,No problem,the value is always there.Xlnt 1st Class idea!Thanx!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.