The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#202407 - 05/24/10 09:12 PM Re: Can you rely on the radio? [Re: Eugene]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Four years in Minot! Wow! That's 40 months of winter. grin Just be thankful that that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

#202409 - 05/24/10 09:35 PM Re: Can you rely on the radio? [Re: Phaedrus]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
"Why not Minot...? Freezin's the reason..."

Or so I've heard.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#202411 - 05/24/10 10:20 PM Re: Can you rely on the radio? [Re: JohnE]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Seems like most of the time I'm checking the weather in the winter, the coldest temp in the lower 48 is either Minot, ND or International Falls, MN.

#202460 - 05/25/10 04:46 PM Re: Can you rely on the radio? [Re: philip]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My favorite weather experience was the day we had a hundred degree increase in temps in 24 hours. I don't remember now what the temperatures were, but one day we were freezing in our parkas at way below zero, and the next morning I put on my parka and went out and it hit the 50s or 60s above zero, and everybody was shedding their parkas and showing sweatstains on their shirts. Unbelievable. Winter one day, summer the next. The standing joke was that spring was one day long. We skipped it that year.

It flooded, of course, since the snow was melting like crazy.

The Air Force was very good at survival training, on an off topic note. I had survival training for ditching at sea (I was a Minuteman Missile Combat Crew Member, and we never flew), for jungle survival (no jungles in North Dakota), and for winter survival (bingo!). I was at Camp Pendleton watching the Marine jungle survival training before they shipped to Vietnam - it was about 30 minutes of a guy eating a snake raw and killing a bunny with a karate chop to the back of its head, then skinning and gutting it. One of my fellow ROTC cadets asked why we got such good training and the Marines got so little since they'd actually be out there, and the answer was, "They'll never be in a survival situation." Gulp.

#202465 - 05/25/10 05:48 PM Re: Can you rely on the radio? [Re: philip]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Temperature extremes sounds almost like Minnesota.

#202537 - 05/27/10 12:38 PM Re: Can you rely on the radio? [Re: Eugene]
Doug_SE_MI Offline

Loc: Michigan
Everyone should have a NOAA Weather Radio in their home, vehicles and emergency kits.

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/allhazard.htm

NWR broadcasts warnings and post-event information for all types of hazards: weather (e.g., tornadoes, floods), natural (e.g., earthquakes, forest fires and volcanic activity), technological (e.g., chemical releases, oil spills, nuclear power plant emergencies, etc.), and national emergencies (e.g., terrorist attacks). Working with other Federal agencies and the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) Emergency Alert System (EAS), NWR is an all-hazards radio network, making it the most comprehensive weather and emergency information available to the public.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.