Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#201979 - 05/17/10 02:36 PM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MostlyHarmless]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Give your body time to rest between hard workouts. If you push yourself really hard you need a couple of days rest. You can still be doing workouts during rest periods, but do different parts of the body or do low intensity stuff.

Yeah, I picked up on that, and I only do the high aerobic stuff on alternate days, I do really basic strength-building (abs/back, arms/chest) on the other days.

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Right now you're highly motivated due to your progress and all the positive effects of becoming more fit. There is a very real risk of overloading specific vulnerable parts of your body, such as knee joints.

My key point of vulnerability is the lumbar vertebrae. I am in serious need of making sure I don't blow a disc there, especially when I'm wood chopping - its not the chop, it's the lift onto the block that gets me. I stopped classic sit-ups and moved to a crunch/leg lift for upper and lower abs and a yoga thing called Cobra pose for the back.

Thanks for the reminder.

#202026 - 05/18/10 02:06 AM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MartinFocazio]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Marty,

Find a strength/bodybuilder type person and investigate "Russian Twists". While they do twist your torso, I have found the lower back only gets tired. The core and upper legs really get a great workout. If you feel they are safe for you, make sure you get proper instruction on how to them. There is little benefit to doing them wrong; outstanding benefit for doing them right.

Stay motivated and most importantly, stay safe in the workouts.

My $.02

#202362 - 05/24/10 11:54 AM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

24 May 2010: 182 Lbs.

Was still at 185 on Friday Night. Grrr.....

In case you're wondering, apparently it takes exactly 3lbs of fat to supply the energy needed to:

- ax-split 1 cord of ash logs (26" lengths, 10" to 20" in diameter)
- clear out a 25x25 area of your basement to prep the floor for painting (this includes about 5,673,455 trips up and down the stairs to the attic).
- jog/fast walk on an inclined treadmill for 40 minutes.
- do 100 crunches, 100 pushups and 100 leg-lifts

Today:

November 2009:

Progress Chart:

Anyone have any tips for jogging/running? I just can't keep a steady pace up...I need to drop back to a fast walk after only a few minutes of a fair pace.

#202368 - 05/24/10 01:49 PM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MartinFocazio]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
24 May 2010: 182 Lbs.

Was still at 185 on Friday Night. Grrr.....

Anyone have any tips for jogging/running? I just can't keep a steady pace up...I need to drop back to a fast walk after only a few minutes of a fair pace.

Marty, you might want to check out sites such as this: C25K for help. DD1, who never exercised until she turned 30, is using this pattern to get in shape. There are a variety sites that use the concept of going from the couch to a 5K race in six weeks. There are also podcasts you can put on your music player that announce the interval times so you don't have to keep looking at your watch. She laid that track over some music just to make it less boring.

Its working for her as she's now up to jogging 2.5 miles without stopping in just a couple of months after starting from zero.

#202375 - 05/24/10 03:15 PM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: Andy]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Looking great Marty. Much applause from Upstate New York!!!!

That link Andy gave you is an outstanding program. Nice and balanced. Just remember that as long as you are moving you are getting benefit.

My $.02

Edited by MoBOB (05/24/10 03:20 PM)
Edit Reason: Added comment

#202388 - 05/24/10 06:07 PM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MoBOB]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Oh wow, this program looks great.
Thanks!

#202432 - 05/25/10 06:30 AM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MartinFocazio]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

That could be due to limitations in the capacity of your cardio system, your leg muscles aren't strong enough / does not have the endurace capacity, or both.

The quickest and most effective way of raising your cardio capacity is doing intervals: Doing close-to-max intensity for a short period, then a period of low intensity (not rest), then repeat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_training. It does not have to be running - you can alternate with cycling or whatever, cardio training is cardio training.

Training your leg muscles to take the abuse of jogging is something that takes time. As discussed earlier, be careful and listen to your body signals. You want to stress the muscles, joints and tendons enough to grow them stronger, then let them have the time to recover. Too much stress or too little rest and you have an injury that potentially takes a long time to recoup from.

You could also target specifically exercises for the spring in your step (jumping rope, jumping up and down from low benches and so on). Stronger muscles equals more spring equals better running. That may or may not be one limiting factor for you, hard to tell from where I am sitting...

#202453 - 05/25/10 03:47 PM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MartinFocazio]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Good work, Martin. This is the way to go - doing the actual work instead of just talking about it (as some people tend to do). Anyway, as someone here said - rest a lot between the workouts. Do not rush the progress.

I am not an expert but I would advise you to just keep at what you are doing now - jogging + fast walking. Gradually your endurance will get better. I would take it slowly. There is no need for any shortcuts that may work for a short amount of time but can wreck your health in the long term. I have read a story about one runner where rapid training from zero took its toll (not exactly a small one).

#202789 - 06/01/10 11:29 AM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

June 1 (Missed the May 31 Report, took a break from the computer)

181 - was actually down to 180 for a few days last week, but the weekend was a little to decadent with all the party food - had to really work it off on Sunday night and Monday.
Strength training is still a slow go, cardio workouts are tough, definitely on a plateau there, the couch to 5K program is in effect for the summer.

#202851 - 06/02/10 02:00 PM Re: Fat Tracker 2010 [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Midweek jump in here...

179 lbs! YEAH!

This is a HUGE milestone for me - dropping through the 180 barrier has been a big effort...now 165 is really in sight for where I'll stay.

Worked my fat ass off after eating garbage all weekend....learned just how easy it is to slide back...not gonna let that happen! Definitely finding the balance between loss and maintenance and gain...eating habits still need to be adjusted, but it's all coming together.

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.