Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#202334 - 05/23/10 07:53 PM Re: Cheap automobile...Would you drive one? [Re: oldsoldier]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I drive an Aveo, which is about as small and cheap as I want to get into. And I wouldn't have it if it weren't for the high gas prices of a couple of years ago that coincided with losing my long term employer. Now I have to do everything on the cheap. I put lots of freeway miles in driving a very small car.
Just like riding a motorcycle, you have to drive paranoid because a hummer would eat my car for lunch.

#202351 - 05/24/10 12:04 AM Re: Cheap automobile...Would you drive one? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

I am holding out for the Magnum Tatas. I heard that they excelled in the front end collision test.

Did anyone else read this and instantly have to get their mind out of the gutter? laugh

No I wouldn't drive it. Cute or not.

India... nothing I can say on the internet that won't sound jaded, racist, or elitist - sense of humor sure doesn't carry well. And I have nothing useful to say that isn't a joke.

#202355 - 05/24/10 08:34 AM Re: Cheap automobile...Would you drive one? [Re: Jesselp]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Jesselp

See this article for photographs of a Smart Car that a friend of mine was driving when he was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle.

LI Herald: Crash at Atlantic Beach Bridge

I submit that had he been riding a motorcycle, he would have been in MUCH worse shape.

Any estimate on the speeds involved in that collision?

I'm not familiar with that car but from that pic I'd say that was *very* close to unsurvivable - the crumple area is completely gone and everything significantly pushed back into the passenger area. I hope he can walk again.

Cars have made huge improvements in the last 25 years but crumple zones still need space to crumple into, space the passengers do not occupy. A motorcycle is basically a vehicle where your jacket is the crumple zone - uh oh.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The Tata Nano has apparently passed the current European front and side impact standard crash tests at the MIRA test facility.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/241500/

It sure took a lot of damage aft of the firewall and in one pic partially collapsed on the front passenger. It may have passed but it's not impressive. To put it another way: if that's a pass, what does it take for a car in 2010 to fail?

From the side-impact pic it appears there is no intrusion protection in the door?

Rather than asking "would you drive one?" a more interesting question might be "would you buy one for your wife to drive the kids to school etc?"

#202378 - 05/24/10 03:25 PM Re: Cheap automobile...Would you drive one? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I don't think I can even fit in that thing, and I'm not a particularly big guy either.

If I go with a small car it's either a mini cooper S or Mazdaspeed miata.

#202444 - 05/25/10 12:00 PM Re: Cheap automobile...Would you drive one? [Re: jzmtl]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I rode in a Ferrari last week...that was dangerous.

Ha. Also - I ride ATVs, totally dangerous compared to a car, but, hey, we all take risks, right?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.