Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#202085 - 05/19/10 01:03 PM Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more...
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
in retrospect, i think this is kind of funny. but it could have turned out not so funny.

go here for the story.

#202089 - 05/19/10 02:17 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: bsmith]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A few years ago now I came across two female walkers at the end of the trail while heading to the top of Ben Chonzie for a Sunday afternoon walk. The hill top was covered in mist and visibility was a couple of hundred yards. They both had maps and compasses, they just didn't know how to use them despite one of them being a geography teacher, but at least they had the common sense not to go wandering off the trail in the mist. They knew their own navigational limitations. I am always surprised how many don't actually know how to use a map and compass even though they have the sense to bring them along.

#202091 - 05/19/10 02:57 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Up here in the PNW, it can be impossible to locate your position on a map when you are surrounded by 100 foot tall trees.It's nice this had a happy ending and no one was injured or killed

#202093 - 05/19/10 03:27 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: Tarzan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Which is why growing up in the PNW, you learn to keep track of ur position on the map as u go, rather than pulling it out only when lost. In all my trail wanderings I have seen far too many people w/o maps, maps that were inappropriate or purchased and never unfolded until several miles from the trailhead.

#202100 - 05/19/10 03:59 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: comms]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
It's a lot easier to get lost while descending the mountain than climbing it. Just 30' to one side or the other of the correct route sometimes will take you to the entirely wrong side of the mountain.

(Haven't done it but been close)

#202101 - 05/19/10 04:00 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

A few years ago now I came across two female walkers at the end of the trail while heading to the top of Ben Chonzie for a Sunday afternoon walk. The hill top was covered in mist and visibility was a couple of hundred yards. They both had maps and compasses, they just didn't know how to use them despite one of them being a geography teacher, but at least they had the common sense not to go wandering off the trail in the mist. They knew their own navigational limitations. I am always surprised how many don't actually know how to use a map and compass even though they have the sense to bring them along.

A book I once read-as I am sure it has been said repeatedly-stated specifically that the 10 essentials call for a map & compass-but you need to know how to use them. Simply carrying them doesnt do you any good at all. I guess I was blissfully unaware that someone would actually carry something they couldnt read. Maybe I am naieve, maybe I assumed people who venture into the outdoors posessed the knowledge to do so. Granted, I was younger when I read it, but it still blew my mind that people did that.

#202104 - 05/19/10 04:33 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: oldsoldier]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Growing up in the PNW, we always studied the map really good first, and identified landmarks and such that we could use to reckon our location from time to time. Topos were preferable, because in the dense forests, slope and contour may be the only thing you can tell. It must've been the right thing to do, because we never got lost.

#202115 - 05/19/10 06:58 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: benjammin]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I've navigated by map and compass in deserts, deep forest, snow covered terrain, jungle and swamps. While it is "difficult" to precisely mark where you are, you can always "guesstimate" if you have a good pace count and kept track of your directions.

The trick, keep the map out, mark where you are as you go along. Oh yeah, if you haven't found what you were looking for, you haven't gone far enough.

#202118 - 05/19/10 07:20 PM Re: Lost hikers find more lost hikers who find more... [Re: JBMat]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Oh yeah, if you haven't found what you were looking for, you haven't gone far enough.
hey JBMat, thank you for that. as i see it, that's great insight.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.