Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#201802 - 05/14/10 02:58 AM Contemplating alternative transportation - #1
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

http://campfire.theoildrum.com/node/6438

Yes, that's one way. And they certainly have more cargo capacity than usually expected. That one with the cooler bottles looks to be carrying nine of those babies, over 360 pounds.

#201811 - 05/14/10 11:14 AM Re: Contemplating alternative transportation - #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And when you have a flat tire?....I love cycling, but those guys are way out of my league.

#201820 - 05/14/10 06:15 PM Re: Contemplating alternative transportation - #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'm always amazed what people manage to do with limited resources. I bet most of those bikes are handmade from old spare parts. Amazing.

#201837 - 05/15/10 12:52 AM Re: Contemplating alternative transportation - #1 [Re: LED]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is an area where hobbies (I don't consider prepping a hobby, I consider it a lifestyle) and prepping can overlap. We have bicycles and now have several different packs that can attach to them as well as tools, a breakdown kit, etc. Plus us getting out and riding we are able to go longer distances by being used to it and being in better shape. If gas does go crazy high we have them as transportation.

#201889 - 05/15/10 11:01 PM Re: Contemplating alternative transportation - #1 [Re: Eugene]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene
This is an area where hobbies (I don't consider prepping a hobby, I consider it a lifestyle) and prepping can overlap. We have bicycles and now have several different packs that can attach to them as well as tools, a breakdown kit, etc. Plus us getting out and riding we are able to go longer distances by being used to it and being in better shape. If gas does go crazy high we have them as transportation.

Inside of five to ten miles, depending on health and conditions, commuting and trips for light chores are practical on a bike. Most any bike can be set up with panniers that allow you to carry significant amounts of stuff.

A three-wheeled cargo bike have advantages. They carry a lot more cargo and don't require the rider to balance the ride. One of my acquaintances has a head injury that messed with his sense of balance. He can't handle a two-wheel bike but he does fine on a three-wheel model.

Bikes have a lot going for them. Inexpensive to buy, easy to maintain, cheap to operate, durable, adaptable.

#201895 - 05/16/10 02:28 AM Re: Contemplating alternative transportation - #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I went slightly above the price range I wanted on our house because it was in this http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...mp;t=h&z=14 area. We live in a small neighborhood at the left of the map, I work in the big building to the east of it, get our groceries at Kroger in the Polaris Town Center to the east of that, then the huge Polaris Fashion place north of that, my son's pre-shool is north of that. All around those main areas are houses, stores, restaurants, etc. Everything we need is within two miles, just have to get the roads made safe, some are single lane 45mph with several entrances to business parks and housing developments so they are not very safe even in a car. The entrance/exit to my workplace dumps onto one of those roads and there is a small hill where you can't see past. I looked up my truck and depending on different options my 0-60 acceleration is between 8-1 seconds. I can look and see no cars past that hill, pull out onto the street and floor it and then have a car nearly rear end me, people drive anywhere from 50-60mph on that road, its just not safe to try and bike on. If the price of gas goes up enough that less people are driving then I'm all set. Right now I go down the sidewalk and wait and dart across the street. Its like the old game Frogger.

#201942 - 05/16/10 11:56 PM Re: Contemplating alternative transportation - #1 [Re: Eugene]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I feel you on the road hazards issues. Saving money, energy and getting healthy are contradicted if the odds are you end up in a hospital maimed.

There is a push, and some legislation, to demand that all roads incorporate features that allow easy and safe accommodation of bicycle riding.

#201959 - 05/17/10 02:54 AM Re: Contemplating alternative transportation - #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'd like to get a new Trek bike this summer and getting into a bit more trail type camping. A bike can be really versatile.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.