Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#201844 - 05/15/10 04:28 AM HAL does parallel parking with a twist.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

http://scienceblogs.com/pontiff/2010/05/who_needs_aircars_when_the_fut.php

Now how many of you understand the HAL reference? How many of you caught it and understand what HAL was derived from?

#201846 - 05/15/10 04:41 AM Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. [Re: Art_in_FL]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Got the reference, I guess I'm in the minority who think the movie sucks.

#201853 - 05/15/10 11:04 AM Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. [Re: Art_in_FL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
HAL

(H+1) (A+1) (L+1)

IBM

At the time, the biggest and most powerful non-aerospace company in America.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#201870 - 05/15/10 03:34 PM Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. [Re: ironraven]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
And still a surprisingly big and powerful company!

I never new HAL was from IBM. Pretty sweet, though I can't say I'm a HUGE fan of the film.

Anyone seen "Moon" - I intend to, sort of reminded me of A Space Odyssey based on the previews.

#201875 - 05/15/10 04:41 PM Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. [Re: roberttheiii]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Arthur C. Clarke stated that he didn't notice the "one step ahead of IBM" aspect of the HAL name while writing the script and that if he had he would have changed the name.

The "teenager's parking technique" makes a neat video (and a good foot in the door to get more research grants, most important!) but what's most impressive is that the vehicle can apparently "learn" through a mix of both predicted and "acquired" actions.

#201888 - 05/15/10 10:25 PM Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I though the clip, and the technique itself, performed by machine or human, has interesting. I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of teenagers trying this anywhere near me or my vehicle.

I think everyone understands it is a stunt designed to attract attention to autonomous vehicle technology and to have a little fun testing the limits of what their project vehicle can do.

But it isn't like it hasn't been done before. This is really just a 'bootleggers turn' to a stop. I've done the turn but couldn't do the parking. Wouldn't want to try.

I just dread the idea that one day I will hear that sickening crumpling metal sound of a crash, look out, and see that some kid blew the timing on the execution and took out the front of my truck.

Then the hard part ... facing some drunk/stoned kid who climbs out of his wrecked vehicle and tells me: Dude ... I just so totally had to go for it ... you understand .... right? Whereupon I feel a certain tightness behind the eyes .... and totally lose my s**t. After that it is a blur of blood, a wave of sheriffs deputies, sirens, and wide-eyed inmates staring and whispering among themselves '... and he did what to the kid !?! ... Is that even possible?'

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.