Topic Options
#201702 - 05/12/10 09:37 PM Re: Recharging Batteries Blast-style [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Props re fire starting.

Observations re suprises re same:

No handhold for the top of the spindle.

Fireboard a round branch not much wider than spindle.

Fireboard not notched to allow coal to fall out onto tinder.

Fire started in / on fireboard.

Queries re same:

Observations correct?

Type of wood?

Why / what advatages to things observed [very different from the guidelines I am following]?

Thanks!

#201704 - 05/12/10 09:58 PM Re: Recharging Batteries Blast-style [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Dweste,

I was actually using a porcelain insulator cap from an electric fence for my upper bearing block. The teacher had assorted bearing blocks made from wood, antler, shells, and even teflon blocks. I found the insulator worked best for me.

Both the spindle and the fireboard were made from the well-dried flower stalk of yucca. The fireboard part of the stalk split in half, it just looks round in the picture.

The fireboard was notched, you just can't see it well in the picture.

The fireboard develop a very large coal which remained attached to the board rather than falling into the tinder. When the frayed jute we were using as tinder ignited it lit the fireboard on fire, too. There were better shots of the tinder smoking and glowing, but the picture I posted was more dramatic.

Choosing the right wood is very, very important. What I didn't realize is how important it was to get just the right amount of tension, friction, and spin. My wife commented that it was a lot like learning how to drive a stickshift. My biggest problem was keeping the hand/arm holding the bearing block locked against my leg. That's my weak arm due to shattering the elbow years ago. Anyway, the spindle kept hoping off the fireboard. A friend eventually clamped down on the arm to hold it in place. Once he did that I had fire in less than two minutes. Time to do more pushups, I think. blush

-Blast

Edited by Blast (05/12/10 10:03 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#201818 - 05/14/10 05:15 PM Re: Recharging Batteries Blast-style [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Thanks for the clarifications!

Check out the so-called Egyptian Bow Drill technique; for many of us it helps a lot to reduce unwanted spindle movement.

#201828 - 05/14/10 08:48 PM Re: Recharging Batteries Blast-style [Re: dweste]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Here here dweste, Blast take a look at daves video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZtTd19_cgY he narrates it in a good point but puts a good twist that may pertain to you. This method is ideal because it accomplishes many things. First it starts your fire with very little to no effort by you using your kydex knife sheath as a block, second puts the girls to work so that they stay out of trouble, third it tires them out so they sleep better that night and will reduce the amount they are constantly distracting your attention on other matters while wanting you to explain everything under the sun. But sometimes it is good to teach the kids things all the time when you have that time available, it's just nice to take a breather from time to time.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.