Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#201477 - 05/07/10 01:01 AM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: roberttheiii]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have both read, and been told by someone who grew up in the Netherlands, that quite a few of the older homes there have a small boat and an axe in the attic. The reason comes down to a historic event when the levies broke one night and a lot of people drown.

I think that living in a flood zone is pretty bad. I would avoid it if at all possible. But given a lack of options a john boat, axe, and some supplies in the attic and a gable end that is designed to be removed makes a lot of sense.

#201567 - 05/10/10 02:11 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: roberttheiii]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii

I keep a waterproof bag in the trunk with a sleeping bag, bivy sack, and sleeping mat. I think I just need to compress that stuff, add some basic fire making, and a water container. Ideally I should get a pair of shoes, socks, and change of clothes in it, but I'm not sure that'll happen space wise.

I've posted a few times here about my 100% non-hypothetical car kit that was evolved over the years as a result of being in the fire and rescue services. One of the most critical things that I have in that kit is a change of clothes and shoes. These are the most bulky and annoying things to deal with, and I've found that they are often the most important. Now, admittedly, I found myself in oddball situations like wading into rivers to help launch a rescue boat or arriving on-scene not needing turnout gear and not having rain gear handy and getting soaked, but all in all, a change of clothes, socks and shoes is really important. I pack zip-off shorts/nylon pants, a long-sleeve T shirt, a polar fleece sweatshirt, socks, underwear and a pair of sneakers. I consider these as important as water in my vehicle.

Other stuff in my NHCK (Non-Hypothetical Car Kit) has always been proven to be needed in actual emergencies and I've actually USED everything in it it for myself and others.

I'd say the most unexpected thing I've added to the kit over the years - because it turned out useful in many situations - is waterproof paper. So many times I needed to jot a note in wet/humid conditions, and having Rite In the Rain pads are super-handy. Cell phone chargers that use AA batteries are a must as well, and so are a bunch of lithium AA and AAA cells.

#201569 - 05/10/10 03:14 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: MartinFocazio]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I’ve always raised my eyes when reading various recommendations for car kits and the lack of specifics in the way of clothing and footwear. Depending upon locale and the season, simply tossing in another pair of shoes may or may not be adequate. While clothing, especially technical, can be rolled into a stuff sack and doesn’t take much room, footwear presents more challenges in the way of packing and finding the room in a vehicle. While there isn’t an easy answer to packing and storing adequate footwear, I consider it important enough to both my survival and comfort that I always carry hiking boots and at least during fall, winter and spring carry knee high waterproof boots as well. I have a dedicated boot bag that either hangs in my SUV or rides in plastic gear box. Various smart-wool socks are also in the bag including a couple pair of the poly liner socks. I also carry a pair of crocs as they are so comfy to drive in and would be great if one had to use a public shower. I only carry footwear that I have actually used and tested as if you had to actually walk out comfort would have a whole new meaning!

#201570 - 05/10/10 03:23 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: rebwa]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: rebwa
I’ve always raised my eyes when reading various recommendations for car kits and the lack of specifics in the way of clothing and footwear.

Good point. In terms of footwear, I find that hiking sneakers are best for me, they hit all the main needs.

#201611 - 05/11/10 12:59 AM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: MartinFocazio]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Re Rite in the Rain - I don't even consider that part of a "kit" I just have a pad of it in my glove box (and have for at least 8 years) that I use all the time.

Re Footwear - I often have a pair of muck boots in the trunk that I've walked countless miles in, and actually run in a bit as well. My biggest problem is any shoes I really want to walk that far in I want to have to wear all the time! I guess I have an old pair of hiking boots I could test and leave in the car if they're still worth anything.

Best thing I've done for my feet (and I've posted about it elsewhere on this forum) is start running in Vibram Fivefingers.

I actually forgot the fivefingers in February when I was running a slow 10k (I can only run slow) so I wore water shoes that happened to be available. They worked fine. When I used to run in sneakers, not having sneakers would have meant I'm not going anywhere.

Now foot fatigue from bad shoes is a thing of the past. I still couldn't run very far in say dress shoes due to likely rubbing though. Also, if anyone starts going out in fivefingers I think they'll be impressed with how well their feet deal w/cold weather so long as you're moving! I was at least.

#201675 - 05/12/10 02:14 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: roberttheiii]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
Re Rite in the Rain - I don't even consider that part of a "kit" I just have a pad of it in my glove box (and have for at least 8 years) that I use all the time.

Re Footwear - I often have a pair of muck boots in the trunk that I've walked countless miles in, and actually run in a bit as well. My biggest problem is any shoes I really want to walk that far in I want to have to wear all the time! I guess I have an old pair of hiking boots I could test and leave in the car if they're still worth anything.

I keep a pad of rite in the rain in my SUV too.

Re muck boots, I basically live in the knee high tack classic's during the fall, winter and spring. The only time they fall short is on ice as the traction isn't that good on ice. That's the only reason for adding the hiking boots in my rig during those seasons.

#201684 - 05/12/10 04:26 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: rebwa]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I still can't find good shoes on ice, but I've gotten pretty good at getting around on the stuff, so I guess I'm good w/it.

If I have to say push an aluminum boat across a frozen pond, I put crampons on wink

#201761 - 05/13/10 06:38 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: roberttheiii]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have never found any boots good for ice either. Some sole designs are worse than others, but none are all that good.

Bob

#201762 - 05/13/10 06:40 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: ILBob]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
There are some metal cleats made for icy conditions that slip over shoes and boots. Has anyone ever tried those? I don't know whether they would work well or not.

#201763 - 05/13/10 07:06 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: Nicodemus]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Ice cleats: Some are good, some are crap. And some work reasonably well under a limited set of conditions. If you're really lucky the ones sold around here are the same as you find at your place...

Personally, I use boots (hiking boots) with a rubber sole that has a fair amount of friction on ice. The difference is huge, so normally I manage just fine without cleats.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.