Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#201419 - 05/05/10 07:42 PM MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage??
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
I purchased a MSR Pocket Rocket Canister Stove for my BOB that is stored in my car. With summer coming and the interior heat rising, is it safe to keep the fuel canister in the car?
Thanks

#201422 - 05/05/10 08:39 PM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: CAL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I purchased a MSR Pocket Rocket Canister Stove for my BOB that is stored in my car. With summer coming and the interior heat rising, is it safe to keep the fuel canister in the car?

Should be OK if the internal temperature doesn't exceed 40-45C, but best keep the canister away from one of these;

Just to be on the safe side. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/05/10 08:40 PM)

#201424 - 05/05/10 09:02 PM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: CAL]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: CAL
Thanks

I have a Pocket Rocket Stove. The fuel cannister states:

- Store away from heat

- Do not expose or store at temperatures above 120F (49C)

- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight

That being said, I keep 4 extra cannisters in the car trunk year round without any issues. The hottest outside ambient temperature in the area that I travel a lot in the summer typically ranges from 90 F to 110 F and I have never experienced the inside ambient trunk temperature getting anywhere near the maximum temperature rating of the cannisters. As with most cars, the trunk area is always much cooler then the passenger area.

I am sure if you left the cannisters in the car passenger area itself, exposed to the heat generated through all the window glass, even on mildly hot days it would not take much to exceed the max temperature warning above...

John Lubbock

#201426 - 05/05/10 09:26 PM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Carpal Tunnel

You could always store the cartridge in a food vacuum flask and this will average out the temperatures over a 24 hr period to avoid the thermal cycling and peak temperatures during the day. Again don't have a thermocouple, to measure the internal temperature, running into the vacuum flask, especially if your a hairdresser and like japatis. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/05/10 09:32 PM)

#201429 - 05/05/10 09:54 PM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: CAL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I suspect that such canisters are designed to be tolerant of temperature extremes you commonly see in motor vehicles. Still, I would transport them on the floor where the temperatures are lower. Just make sure you know where the catalytic converter is and avoid that location.

And if I was carrying some canisters I would do a sniff test before getting in. If a canister has leaked or vented you should be able to smell it and ventilate. In that case I would avoid using power windows. Probably not much danger of power windows starting a fire but still ...

I have carried a couple one-pound propane canisters in a cross-body toolbox during the Florida summers and never had a problem. At least so far.

It would be interesting to find out what DOT, industry standards, and manufacturer says.

#201430 - 05/05/10 10:40 PM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I carry my GHB w/ MSR IsoPro cannister and Pocket Rocket in the truck bed under a tonneau cover. No windows so the bed area usually stays at ambient temps.

During summer heat (soon) I use a small cooler for storing "stuff" that shouldn't be exposed to high temps. Better safe. . .

#201448 - 05/06/10 05:55 AM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: Russ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK here is one of those dumb questions we all need to throw , otherwise we won't learn :

How do you attach the canister to the stove ? Does it screw in ?
I have seen them in stores and didn't want to buy them because of the "high temp" factor.

So, if I buy a rocket stove and gas canister , does it screw in ?? And when I want to remove it for storage, do I just screw it out ? It will not leak gas when it is half used ?

#201449 - 05/06/10 10:52 AM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: Chisel]
Carpal Tunnel

Yes the most common gas cartridges have a resealable screw thread. There are also resealable bayonet fitting cartridges as well as the much more dangerous pierceable cartridges, which need to be completely used up before the gas stove can be removed.

The pierceable cartridge is demonstrated by Eddie Hitler along with some other suburban survival skills in the London area such as hunting with a blow pipe and dart and using hob nob bait to hunt down a common womble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQRVtjNp31A

#201450 - 05/06/10 10:56 AM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: Chisel]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Yes, the Rocket Pocket stove screws into the fuel canister which has small threads in the top of it.

Once you are done using the stove, you unscrew it from the canister.

There is a valve in the canister that prevents the fuel from leaking out and I have never experienced any fuel leaks whether the canister was full or 1/2 used up.

What I like best about this stove is how compact it is and folds up easily into the included triangular case.

John Lubbock

#201454 - 05/06/10 01:20 PM Re: MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister storage?? [Re: Teslinhiker]
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
Thanks for all the info, I feel much better about carrying the canister in my car. This is my daily driver/BOV, it is an 06 Scion xB. I do know where the catalytic converter is, I keep my bag in the very back behind the back seat on the floor. The back windows have been tinted, over the factory tint. It seems to stay pretty cool back there.

I really like this car as a BOV. It gets very good gas mileage and is big enough to sleep in. I can haul just about everything I need. I was thinking that if there is a problem with heat inside I could easily mount a box underneath and keep the canister there. I may do that anyway.

Once again, Thanks for the info..

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.