The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#201364 - 05/04/10 01:30 PM Situation in Tennessee
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
The situation is Tennessee is a good example of why we need a good pair of shoes and rapidly accessible gear in our cars. While I like to think I'd avoid places where my car will get flooded out, should I find myself in one of those places I want to be able to grab the few things I need and abandon it in short order. At this point, my car is not properly setup for such a situation. I think I can get it there pretty easily though.

I keep a waterproof bag in the trunk with a sleeping bag, bivy sack, and sleeping mat. I think I just need to compress that stuff, add some basic fire making, and a water container. Ideally I should get a pair of shoes, socks, and change of clothes in it, but I'm not sure that'll happen space wise.

Equipment reorganization, here I come! (but it will have to wait until May 19th)

#201368 - 05/04/10 02:32 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: roberttheiii]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I probably should say, I also keep some water, calories, a pry bar and various other things in my car, but they're not so easily accessible as to facilitate my taking them with me when I'm quickly leaving my car.

#201394 - 05/05/10 01:55 AM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: roberttheiii]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm surprised that we haven't seen more here on the boards regarding the flooding in Tennessee.

Regarding leaving cars quickly, it's definitely a good idea to have some survival equipment ready and capable of being pulled out rapidly, but I wonder if in flooding incidents like these it wouldn't be better to keep the BOB or similar with you rather than leave it in the car. It seems as if there is sufficient warning prior to the event the gear would be safer in hand because most likely wherever your car is will be flooded more quickly than a permanent structure.

Or, is this a case of not worrying about the emergency kit in the car because the kit for the house or the one at work is nearby.

#201395 - 05/05/10 02:08 AM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: Nicodemus]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I feel I should clarify, especially knowing that a lot of people who died in Nashville were in their cars.

It might have helped if they had some emergency equipment with them that was easily accessible from the passenger compartment, but there was a flood warning in effect and everyone was warned not to drive at all.

Which isn't to say that I don't feel for the victims and their families, but situational awareness would have better served most of the people in this situation.

This is just an opinion. I could be wrong.

#201396 - 05/05/10 02:22 AM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: Nicodemus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A fast moving/rising flood situation it's easy to become separated from a kit that's not on you. Carrying a small kit at all times would be wise. At best all will go well and neither kit will be needed. At worst you'll have just the kit on your back to make it through a wet cold night.

I already have an EDC backpack. Lotsa stuff in there that would be good. It doubles as my gym back and is the bag riding in the truck to carry odds and ends that don't carry well in pockets. Some of the contents change with the season and some with my daily activity. Water is always fresh, bottle is refilled just before I leave each day.

Tailoring the backpack for a flood situation would be a no-brainer. Haven't thought about the specifics of what I'd add, but then I don't live in TN. . .

#201404 - 05/05/10 12:37 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: Russ]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I should be more clear, I wouldn't leave stuff in my car and go about my day, nor would I likely be on highways (I'd just lay low someplace I think is safe) during an event like this (Blizzard, hurricane, what have you). I'm just saying, I saw cars up to their roof in water on the highway, while the other lane was almost bone dry with a jersey barrier in between. If I were to be stuck in traffic with rising water, I'd want to be able to grab a bag, jump the median and hoof it to relative safety.

I do keep things like a knife, flashlight, fire starting equipment, etc, on my, at all times, but having a quickly accessible bag-o-stuff to back that up wouldn't hurt.

In fact if one read's DR disaster prep car kit he suggest keeping it all in a backpack...I'm just a bad listener wink

#201406 - 05/05/10 12:59 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: roberttheiii]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Just be careful of carrying a pack around during flooding conditions, it could be become a death trap. Imagine walking with you pack in knee or waist deep water unable to see what type of surface on which you are walking, suddenly you fall through an open manhole, The weight of the pack may prevent you from resurfacing.

Perhaps having a hiking pole or hiking staff to use as a probe would be more useful.

Situational awareness is critical in conditions such as these and you need to think through and before (the “what if” game) you make a plan of action.

Pete

#201414 - 05/05/10 05:07 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: paramedicpete]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I think my experience walking through countless marshes, etc, duck hunting has bestowed upon me better than average wading sensibilities. Also, the "pack" I happen to keep in my trunk is a dry bag, so it'd actual provide awkward flotation, though, if water was "that" deep I'd probably take it off and use it as a hang on float. Anyways, in a flood, my goal would be to know the weather is coming and stay the heck out of flooded areas. It'd only be in some poorly planned situation you'd see see me out running around in that garbage. I don't live or spend a great deal of time down stream from a major damn, so I should see this stuff coming.

#201415 - 05/05/10 06:13 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: paramedicpete]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
The weight of the pack may prevent you from resurfacing.

Most likely, the pack would be floating or at least be close to neutrally buoyant. A water bottle in water weighs nothing. Clothes in your pack trap a lot of air and floats for quite a while, until all that air is squeezed out and replaced by water, then they become neutral or slightly heavier than water. Heavy tools are obviously heavier than water. If you pack a lot of tools your pack will drag you down. If you don't, your pack will float, at least for a while.

That being said, there are lots of situations in water where a backpack on your back is the last thing you want. For one thing, it's hard to swim. And the pack will get entangled in all sort of things.

#201420 - 05/05/10 07:42 PM Re: Situation in Tennessee [Re: MostlyHarmless]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
So there is flooding in the area, people have been warned not to drive into some areas, and as usual - people ignore the warnings.

It's not like the flood sneaks up on ya. There were warnings and alerts. Water is one powerful force, don't be messing with it. There is not a thing inside your house you need, other than family and they should be with you, safe someplace that isn't flooding. Stuff can be replaced, people can't.

For once, listen to the nice people from the Guv'mint and don't do stupid stuff.

I think the idea of a BOB in a car is nice, I've got one. But it's sort of academic, as my car and BOB will not be in a flood if I can help it. Flash floods are one thing, the flooding in TN was another.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.