Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#201316 - 05/03/10 02:27 PM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: roberttheiii]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Lifesaver Jerry Can looks like it could be useful in an emergency to produce potable water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2apzIh3NXBI

#201337 - 05/03/10 10:45 PM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: Eugene]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene
How do these compare to the 7 gallon aquatinaers sold at sporting stores for $8 ($11 @ Walmart's "low" prices). I have a couple of the aquatainers and they seel a little thin, got a hole in the top of one of mine and the plasitc valves broke on both. I do like though that they use a standard pipe thread in their caps so I screw in a 1/4 turn petcock designed for water heater drains so I have hose hookup.

Aquatainers are a step up from most collapsible water jugs. The top-quality collapsible units are close to that quality and reliability. Then again there are some Aquatainer look alike knock-offs that won't meet that standard and you never know then a major conglomerate will buy out a reputable brand and plow the name through the dirt for fun and profit.

Aquatainer, last I handled one, was good and solid. Suitable for a moderately rough handling and the sort of scratches and abrasions they might get routinely transferring water to and from a dry camp site by truck.

We used collapsible five gallon jugs to carry water on a boat to an island. They survived filling by kids on a dock, loading onto a cart, hauling out to a shrimp boat, loading hand-to-hand onto the boat, two rough days on the boat, unloading onto a dock, man packing a couple of hundred yards to a site, Florida sun and sand spurs, camp use, and a rather rough repacking and only two out of over twenty leaked. One got a pinhole from a cactus thorn and one had a mis-formed cap. We didn't lose but a few ounces of water. All in all they did their job well and easily would last for a few weeks. Longer if you are careful or lucky.

But, as good as they were Aquatainers, at about three times the cost would have been more secure. Mil-spec water containers are about ten times as expensive and pretty much immune to anything short of fire or gunfire. I have seen a truckload of full ones unloaded by the simple expediency of the driver dropping the tailgate, backing up at a considerable rate and slamming on the brakes. Deuce-and-a-half full of them unloaded in about five seconds. And, as far as I could tell, not a drop spilled. I don't think the collapsible jugs or Aquatainers would have fared as well.

There is tough. Then there is GI-proof.

Then again neither the Mil-spec of Aquatainers are collapsible. You could fit perhaps eight or so collapsible jugs folded down into the space of one Aquatainer and for equal carrying capacity the jugs are, by WAG, maybe a quarter the weight of the Mil-spec units.

Cost-wise collapsible jugs go for $8 to $12; Aquatainers and similar $14 to $25; Mil-spec $35 to $55.

It comes down to what qualities (size, shape and collapsible or not) and how much ruggedness, you need and are willing to pay for.

Edited by Art_in_FL (05/03/10 10:47 PM)

#201340 - 05/03/10 11:35 PM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

It comes down to what qualities (size, shape and collapsible or not) and how much ruggedness, you need and are willing to pay for.

Me likes the recycled larger size pop bottles, at least two liter sized and preferably a gallon or so. Super cheap and surprisingly durable. I just haven't had very good luck with the collapsible containers.

#201344 - 05/04/10 01:10 AM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: hikermor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Two things: 1 - Soda Bottles. I believe those are what DR suggests, but I also believe they contain BPA. The military cans are HDPE and thus BPA free. I have tons of BPA exposure, I figure reducing it where I can is worth something? Maybe not, I don't know. Anyways, soda bottles are good too.

I'm anti lifesaver jerry can. May be perfect for some, not for me. Why wouldn't I just use my Katdyn filter to fill my water can?

#201346 - 05/04/10 01:26 AM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water [Re: hikermor]
LED Offline
Veteran

+1 on the 2L soda bottles. Virtually indestructible and free.

#201353 - 05/04/10 11:00 AM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats what I need, somehting in the $10-$25 range thats a little better than the 7 gallon aquatainers. They are a little heavy and don't stack well also.

#201361 - 05/04/10 01:17 PM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: Eugene]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I wish I'd ordered three from buylci..I would have spend maybe 20 dollars more and had two more countainers...darn. Anyways, I'll let everyone know how this thing is once I receive it.

#201405 - 05/05/10 12:38 PM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: Eugene]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I got it! Seems nice, no time to play now though...

#201480 - 05/07/10 09:34 AM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: roberttheiii]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Lifesaver Jerry Can looks like a pretty handy item to have on hand. It's expensive but looks to be very capable. It would be nice for vehicular camping or a "bug out" via car scenario. It could also be pretty handy for long term camping as an item for a base camp.

#201969 - 05/17/10 06:20 AM Re: I ordered an olive drab Scepter Military Water Can [Re: Phaedrus]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
The LCI/Scepter ones are not like soda bottles. They are probably 100x stronger + the sun won't hurt them compared to the soda bottles. (Sun will probably start to hurt but YEARS AND YEARS after the soda bottles are gone.)

I've chucked these things (full) out of the back of my truck, or down my driveway. (Why carry when they slide!)

IMHO for 5g water storage they can't be beaten.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.