Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#201177 - 04/29/10 01:35 PM Re: Are you prepared for "First Contact"? [Re: Lono]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Lono
If our own immediate history of first contact encounters bears out, millions or billions of earthlings will be wiped out by some alien contagion.

And that's if they aren't armored leech-like bloodsuckers latching onto our brains for sustenance - which would be considered a congenial exchange on their world(s).

We'll just have to wait and see what first contact will be like. But we are probably the Aztecs in this exchange.

An ETI's "bugs" most likely won't affect us, nor ours them. Look how few diseases are trans-species here on Earth, where everything at least uses the same basic systems (DNA, proteins, etc.).

Odds are that life from another planet will have basic differences from Earth life that make cross-species contamination impossible.

I recognize, though, that "unlikely" is not the same as "impossible" and chance might deal us the Ace of Spades, and we get invaded by displaced ETIs looking for a new home, who have a devastating disease they are adapted to, but that wipes us out.

I just wouldn't bet on it. wink

#201190 - 04/29/10 06:58 PM Re: Are you prepared for "First Contact"? [Re: Compugeek]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Mebbe so - wish there was an emoticon that had its tongue firmly in cheek, I might have used it.

As far as the Aztec comment, I was thinking we would be at a definite disadvantage on all fronts. Earthlings overall seem fairly primitive on technological, social, economic, mythical/religious fronts. Aliens might be benevolent, or might not. No more than to Cortez, the fate of our civilization might not amount to a hill of beans to them.

#201207 - 04/30/10 02:10 AM Re: Are you prepared for "First Contact"? [Re: Lono]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Reading the pieces within the 'Don't talk to strangers' link they do point out that societies can be altered in unexpected ways by the emotional and conceptual alterations brought on by contact. The Japanese society was centered around them being special. Arrival of an army and fleet far superior militarily to their own was quite a shock. It shattered their political, military, even their religious, systems and brought down a dynasty. The changes to the Japanese society set up the invasion of China and Japanese involvement in WW2.

Arrival of vastly superior aliens would drastically change the context of all human existence. US standing as superpower, and the secondary and tertiary standing of all other nations, puts things in a completely different light. Presently the US is, within the real and profound limits of any power, the final word.

What would the existence of aliens do to religious belief. Or the idea that humans are special.

#201218 - 04/30/10 12:10 PM Re: Are you prepared for "First Contact"? [Re: Art_in_FL]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Like "Calvin and Hobbes" said, the surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

#201236 - 04/30/10 08:43 PM Re: Are you prepared for "First Contact"? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Arrival of vastly superior aliens would drastically change the context of all human existence. US standing as superpower, and the secondary and tertiary standing of all other nations, puts things in a completely different light. Presently the US is, within the real and profound limits of any power, the final word.

What would the existence of aliens do to religious belief. Or the idea that humans are special.

I'm sure that Europe and China would be purely delighted to hear that -not. America is not the pre-eminent power in the 21st Century. Mighty? Yes. Final word? No. But that's politics.

I think that - returning to the subject of first contact - aliens who are xenophobic, perhaps rabidly so, arn't going to bother doing a Hollywood Invasion. Why bother? Half a dozen Dinosaur Killers delivered from the edge of the system, at about 0.01c will do the job very nicely.

#201238 - 04/30/10 10:47 PM Re: Are you prepared for "First Contact"? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Leigh, while the gist of your post has merit, I'd like to point out that Europe is NOT a country.... though they're sure (finally) starting to cooperate like one.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.