Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200944 - 04/25/10 06:18 AM Getting quest ready
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
What I will be doing later this summer:

"We walk individually into nature for a personal three-day quest in the area around camp. The gear that you are allowed for this quest is a pair of pants, t-shirt, socks, shoes, water bottle and knife."

What water bottle and knife would you take?

#200946 - 04/25/10 11:32 AM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A large, unlined stainless steel bottle, usable for heating water, with a secure cap. A knife with a four inch blade, reasonably sharp and sturdy.

Actually for the equivalent weight, there are things I would rather have than the knife.....

#200949 - 04/25/10 01:56 PM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: hikermor]
NAro Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Actually for the equivalent weight, there are things I would rather have than the knife.....

For instance... what?

#200951 - 04/25/10 02:15 PM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: NAro]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
1)tinder and matches/lighter. 2) Then I would consider something, depending upon the situation and terrain, that would facilitate sheltering, like a survival blanket. 3) Perhaps a small light.

Then I would like a nice wine, a rare steak, a down bag, my foam bad, a hearty Thermos of tea....

#200963 - 04/25/10 04:38 PM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: ]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Not sure what the terrain or temperatures will be for your quest, but if you are allowed to build a fire, I would have to go with a the large Victorinox Swiss Army knife that has a saw blade and a magnifying glass. I would also bring a large dark colored cotton button shirt to erect a sun shade with. You could cut some long thin sticks with the saw, lash them together in a dome shape with your bootlace ends and cover with the shirt. Use the magnifying glass to build a campfire and boil drinking water in your unlined, unpainted, stainless steel bottle.

#200965 - 04/25/10 06:44 PM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
As the above posters, I would bring a stainless steel unlined water bottle capable of water cooking and whatever knife you feel works for you and the conditions. I guess the lack of more gear is paramount to the purpose of this quest, letting you practice bare bones hard core fire making skills, shelter building and so on.

That being said--- would you consider paracord shoe laces cheating the purpose of this quest? (Can never have too much cordage... being so minimalistic equipped I figure those inner paracord strands would be much appreciated in shelter building.)

I really hope you feel like posting your experiences from the quest on the forum. I certainly enjoy reading your posts smile

#200967 - 04/25/10 07:29 PM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
I would go with any good size stainless steel bottle (say 26-32 Oz ish) as for the knife I would go with a Swiss army knife with a wood saw (maybe a vic farmer) as from your scenario there seems little danger and help nearby if needed,(sounds some what like testing your gear in your backyard)though like Byrd Huntr I'm whery of only having a T-shirt, a proper shirt seems better.

There's an interesting mod on the sosak forum where someone cut off a Philips screwdriver and put a brass tube over the stub to hold a flint that I think would be usefull

#200989 - 04/26/10 05:03 AM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: Cauldronborn]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Largest Stainless steel waterbottle I could find,Merino wool pants,shirt,socks,& boxer shorts made of silk.A quality Large Knife w/7" or more blade,(you can always choke up on the blade if need be).If you are allowed a fire,a chunk of Granite & that large blade will produce sparks on top of your pre-gathered dried moss/bark & dried sap.

#200991 - 04/26/10 07:15 AM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: Richlacal]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
How are you all going to light this fire?
The Sock

#201076 - 04/27/10 05:48 PM Re: Getting quest ready [Re: TheSock]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Thanks for the input, everyone. I will post more about the experience after I survive it.

I am pretty sure paracord shoelaces are okay, but will ask claification and let you know.

Part of the lead up to the event has been primitive fire-starting with hand- and bow-drill. I struggle with both so we will see. I do have time to work on my technique.

I think I see a Guyot bottle in my future, in part because I like their gear, but will also be looking at simple pots.

I do not believe a multi-tool or SAK is acceptable and at this point intend to bring a robust but modest-sized fixed blade knife.

I am probably going to bring a long-sleeved tee-shirt but think that is as far as I can go shirtwise within the spirit of the exercise.

Edit: I do not care what anybody says, there will be underwear to go with my pants!

Edited by dweste (04/27/10 05:50 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.