Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2018 - 07/27/02 02:39 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Red Cross guide to a Family Disaster Plan was a great initiation to me on the subject. I started with their garbage can stash for basic emergency equipment and still maintain one which I keep in the garage. The research I did after that lead me to this site.<br><br>When all is said and done I'll have at least two little girls (An adoption is nearing completion). The only thing I'm really hoping is that I can get them to wear whistles. I can etch some basic information into them. I have no statistics, or even experience on the subject, but I've always felt a whistle is one of the best safety/protection devices a little kid could have. <br><br>In two recent disasters that my family has experienced, the worst frustration was not having the ability to reach people -- you just can't rely on the information in your head when you are really in a bad place. I know I panic when I think my dogs are lost, I couldn't imagine how I would feel if it was my daughter. The pamphlet also suggested out of region contact people in case of separation so we printed laminated cards for my wife and I to carry with the basic plan on it and the emergency numbers for freinds in the next state over and on the west coast to leave messages with. By folding the paper before laminating I was able to pack a ton of information such as calling card numbers and financial and insurance info inside where they are a little protected. It's somewhat of a risk, but if my wallet is stolen I don't think it would be examined enough for someone to figure out how to tear it open and mine the info to do some identity theft. Pay as you go phone cards are great, but always seem to be inferior when you need to communicate and all you have is a pay phone and you are in a hospital and can't use your cell phone. Unfortunately this has been a situation I have found myself in far too often.<br><br>

#2019 - 07/27/02 02:56 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>For a humorous(?) flashback, check out the sound clips on this site...<br><br>http://www.slonet.org/~rloomis/acafe.html<br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 447 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.