Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2008 - 10/08/01 01:53 AM "family disaster plan"
Anonymous
Unregistered

"family disaster plan" ala red cross. In light of recent events and possible extremist retaliations, how many of us have a plan for dealing with keeping/getting your loved ones together?<br>for example: a large bonb goes off in your city(or a chemical agent is released-take your pick. the authorities close bridges etc. Your wife works on one side of the river, your kids are at daycare and school at the other end of the metropolis. Who tries to get the kids? do you meet your wife first? What if she's unable to cross the river. What if you're downwind from a chemical/bio attack?<br>Is there any realistic way of dealing with the planning for anything like this?<br>JB<br><br>Expect poison with the standing water.<br> -William Blake

#2009 - 10/08/01 05:22 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

People with children need to include them in discussions about emergencies.Im old enough to remember the "duck and cover" drills in the 50's, and my family spending the unheard of sum of $80 for extra food during the cuban missile crisis. Nobody ever talked to me, and I was scared. Children can handle more than we give them credit for, IF they know WHY things are disrupted and WHAT we are doing.<br><br>

#2010 - 10/08/01 05:25 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I'd swear I remember those drills, too. Being 40, am I too young? Maybe I'm remembering a newsreel or something.<br><br>

#2011 - 10/08/01 06:45 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Children can handle more than we give them credit for, IF they know WHY things are disrupted and WHAT we are doing.<<<br><br>Excellent advice. This was always very frustrating for me as a kid. Adults tend to think that they're "protecting" kids by not telling them what's going on- but for kids, as for most adults, the unknown is a lot scarier than a known problem.<br><br><br>

#2012 - 10/11/01 10:50 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, but I think my family is a little different than most, with most of having been either fire/rescue or military at one point or another, and all of havin had plenty of woodscraft experince. Everyone carries a pocket knife or multitool, and flashlight on thier person. Every car has maps and a 72-hour one-person pack. We've all had all our shots. It's actually something that we've worked out after dinner a few times, up to and including when to do things like block the driveway and what symptoms to watch for for major biochem exposures. Even evacuation plans.<br><br>Like I said, we aren't like most folks, but I'd give us better odds than most people, to.<br><br>

#2013 - 10/12/01 01:19 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br>My wife and I both have 72 hr car kits and are well prepared in general. Certainly I would like my kids to have pocket knives, but that's a pretty bad idea in today's climate. They'll have to make due with firstaid kits and space blankets. <br>What I was getting at was more specifice logistical problems: Should my wife and I both try to meet at the school? or only one of us. What if one of us doesn't get there. Should the other try to trace the rout and find him/her? witgh the kids? this sort of stuff is very disconcerting as I can see no realistic way to plan for all the possibilities. That's why I'm looking for specific suggestions.<br>thanks<br>JB<br><br>Expect poison with the standing water.<br> -William Blake

#2014 - 10/12/01 03:01 PM Re: "family disaster plan"
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Should my wife and I both try to meet at the school? or only one of us. What if one of us doesn't get there...?<<<br><br>These are excellent questions and the fact that you are even asking them means you are more prepared than most people. However, I would be skeptical of any answers you might get to these questions over the internet. These specific plans have to take into consideration all the details of your personal situation. For example, I could try to tell you how to get out of your house in case of a fire, but you really need to develop that plan based on your knowledge of the layout of your house, which I can't possibly know as well as you do. Your plan will be different than everyone else's plan because your situation is different.<br><br>I suggest asking these questions of your wife to see what her opinion is. Then put together a tenative plan that you think would be a pretty good solution. Then think the plan over for a while, running some possible scenarios against it. If you find any weaknesses that could be addressed by a change to the plan, incorporate that change. Think of it as a process that will evolve over time.<br><br>

#2015 - 07/26/02 02:04 PM Re:
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Usually, a disaster is a local event. Consider using a contact point outside of the affected area. We have several reliable friends in various parts of the country. If we become seperated, we try to contact the first person on the list. This may be difficult in the first hours of an emergency, but after several days some form of communication will re-appear. It sure beats relying on the local authorities to help you find your family when there are many shelters and many many people.

#2016 - 07/26/02 06:19 PM Re:
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would suggest getting 2-way radios for everyone to carry. Pick a series of freqs that you will use in the event of disaster. That way there's a change you'll be able to make those descisions at the time.

#2017 - 07/27/02 11:00 AM Re:
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with getting two way radios to stay in touch. The wife and I opted for the longer range (5 mile) GMRS radio by Memorex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.