Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#200668 - 04/21/10 01:00 PM Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deaths
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Russian Intel reporting 2 million unexplained deaths in the USA since 2008.

http://www.eutimes.net/2010/04/russia-re...ff-accelerates/

Any validity to this bizarre story.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/21/10 01:55 PM)

#200669 - 04/21/10 01:02 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Tried to view the link and my computer immediately warned me the page contained malware. The article title looked interesting, but I'm not opening it long enough to read it! smile

~Marion C. Garretty

#200670 - 04/21/10 01:08 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Krista]
Carpal Tunnel

Yes the redirect to a random webpage also happened to me, (if I wasn't wearing my tin hat today, I might have concluded that someone somewhere didn't want folks to read the story wink ) so anyway here is the text of the story;

Quote:
A most chilling report circulating in the Kremlin today prepared by the Russian Academy of Medical and Technical Science for Prime Minister Putin states that a “mysterious die-off” in the United States has claimed over 2,000,000 lives since 2008 and is “more than likely” linked to a “crossover” plant disease linked to genetically modified grains and foods.

According to these reports this mysterious, and as yet unidentified, lung disease responsible for this mass die-off began during the spring of 2008 in the US agricultural State of Iowa where (very ironically) at least 36 people attending a Lung Association event at the Governors mansion were stricken.

Important to note about Iowa is that it is one of the largest corn producing regions in the World harvesting over 2 billon bushels of this valuable grain farmed on nearly 32 million acres of its farmland, over 99% of which are genetically modified varieties made by the US agricultural giant Monsanto and idententifeid by their trade names of Mon 863, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup® herbicide-absorbing NK 603.

Not reported to the American people about these genetically modified corn varieties made by Monsanto was the study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences warning that they were linked to organ damage. Monsanto quickly responded to this study, stating that the research was “based on faulty analytical methods and reasoning and do not call into question the safety findings for these products.”

Russian scientists in these reports, however, call Monsanto’s claim of their genetically modified Mon 863 corn as being safe for human or animal consumption “totally without validation”, a finding supported by the French biomolecular engineering commission, the Commission du Génie Biomoléculaire (CGB) who stated in their report, “with the present data it cannot be concluded that GM corn MON 863 is a safe product.”

Further supporting the findings of Russian scientists was Greenpeace International, who in their report titled “MON 863: A chronicle of systematic deception” warned that the campaign to unearth and evaluate data about this most dangerous of genetically modified grains demonstrates, beyond all doubt, that MON863 is unfit for consumption.

Most unfortunately for the American people though, all of these warnings have been ignored by their government masters who have allowed the mass planting of these genetically modified crops to such an extent that in the United States today fully 80% of their corn and 93% of their soybeans are of these dangerous varieties and leading one Russian scientist in these reports to warn that our World is now on the verge of experiencing an ecological disaster of “Biblical proportions”.

And according to these reports this ecological disaster is well underway in the United States and supported by American death statistics showing that of the nearly 2.5 million deaths reported by them each year the number of “sudden deaths” has increased to 40% equaling out to over 2 million “mysterious and unexplained” deaths from early 2008 to March, 2010.

Now of these “mysterious and unexplained” American deaths, these reports continue, nearly all of them are lung related and being erroneously documented as being caused by influenza and pneumonia type diseases so as not to panic these peoples, but have, instead, been caused by as an yet unidentified plant virus that has successfully jumped the species barrier to human beings.

Supporting Russian scientists in these conclusions is new research being conducted by the Didier Raoult of the University of the Mediterranean in Marseilles, France, where for the first time in human history a plant virus has been found to cause problems in people.

Russian scientists further claim in these reports that the United States mass vaccination of their population this past year for the supposed H1N1 Swine Flu epidemic was instead a “very clumsy attempt” to stop the spreading of this mysterious lung disease by injecting into these peoples a DNA “fix” to this genetically modified corn, and which by all the evidence available, they state, appears to have failed.

For those wondering how the United States government could ever allow such a monstrous outrage to be committed on their citizens one only need know that over the past 10 years Monsanto has paid over $500 million in bribing those American officials responsible for food safety while at the same time has joined US corporate giants General Electric and Exxon Mobil in not paying any taxes despite the billions in profits they have reaped.

And for those Americans believing that President PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. will protect them from these outrages they couldn’t be more mistaken, and as we can read as reported by the Huffington Post News Service in their article titled “You’re Appointing Who? Please PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., Say It’s Not So!” and which, in part, says:

“The person who may be responsible for more food-related illness and death than anyone in history has just been made the US food safety czar. This is no joke.

Here’s the back story.

When FDA scientists were asked to weigh in on what was to become the most radical and potentially dangerous change in our food supply — the introduction of genetically modified (GM) foods — secret documents now reveal that the experts were very concerned. Memo after memo described toxins, new diseases, nutritional deficiencies, and hard-to-detect allergens. They were adamant that the technology carried “serious health hazards,” and required careful, long-term research, including human studies, before any genetically modified organisms (GMOs) could be safely released into the food supply.

But the biotech industry had rigged the game so that neither science nor scientists would stand in their way. They had placed their own man in charge of FDA policy and he wasn’t going to be swayed by feeble arguments related to food safety. No, he was going to do what corporations had done for decades to get past these types of pesky concerns. He was going to lie.”

Even worse for these American people are those believing they will be able to change their government in the upcoming National elections to be held in the United States this coming November, but which new reports are showing that PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. is also preparing for with a special military unit called the “Consequence Management Response Force” said ready to deploy during these elections at his command from his White House fortress the Washington Post writes has now become more like “Soviet-era Moscow” then the house of the people it used to be should these Americans begin to rise up against the growing corporate-run police state surrounding them.

New reports from America are also warning that PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.’s growing police state government is further moving against its own citizens by ordering their Internet giants to turn over all emails written by every citizen in their country, an insidious move Yahoo, for one, has vowed to fight.

To the final outcome of all of these events it is not in our knowing, other than to note that in the same week that one of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.’s Federal Courts has outlawed all Americans from celebrating their National Prayer Day, and PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. has vowed to rid the United States of all of its nuclear weapons, President Putin, on the other hand, stated that Russia’s internal and external security depends upon two things – “its traditional religions and its nuclear forces”…and leaving no doubt whatsoever that our World has, indeed, turned upside down as the US descends into tyranny and Russia moves toward freedom.

If you can forget all the politico stuff at the end of the news story, I was interested if anything in this story about the environmental/medical part of the story chimes a bell especially for anyone in the mid western grain belt states.

The Story would normally be categorised as bogus by myself but after watching Food Inc on a free London Times Newspaper DVD, well lets say you can never tell nowadays.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/21/10 01:34 PM)

#200671 - 04/21/10 01:33 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I just picked paragraphs at random and checked the 'sources'. Every one so far has been false. No such organisation as 'Russian Academy of Medical and Technical Science'. No record of any Lung Association event in any governors mansion.
When something has virtually no named sources and we are expected to believe the kremlin can't keep secrets it says it all.
The Sock

#200674 - 04/21/10 02:04 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: TheSock]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
No record of any Lung Association event in any governors mansion.

Did a little checking myself;

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,343508,00.html

Quote:
No such organisation as 'Russian Academy of Medical and Technical Science'

There is a 'Russian Academy of Medical Science';

www.ramn.ru

Sorry my Russian isn't very good, so can't confirm whether this is actually the same.

Other organisations mentioned seemed to check out.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/21/10 02:04 PM)

#200677 - 04/21/10 02:28 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
TheSock Offline
Addict

And like I said no such organisation as one of 'Russian Academy of Medical and Technical Science'.
Just like there was an outbreak of infection (caused by bat droppings no mystery at all) at the Governors mansion and one at a Lung Association event. But the event wasn't at the mansion.
If they can't get facts like that right why should we believe anything else.
Just read it. The report has become reports (plural) by the second paragraph. They can quote from this report, but can't name it. The scientists quoted aren't named. The amount of a bribe is supposed to be known, but no evidence is produced. It's a sloppy bit of invention.
And if the sources aren't named it's fake.
The Sock

#200678 - 04/21/10 02:34 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: TheSock]
TheSock Offline
Addict

And if you read the fox news article it specifically says the Lung event was NOT (excuse me for 'shouting' I can't get italics to work on this) at the governors mansion and there is no msytery about what the infection is; just how people got it.
The Sock

#200680 - 04/21/10 02:52 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: TheSock]
TheSock Offline
Addict

>United States mass vaccination of their population this past >year for the supposed H1N1 Swine Flu epidemic

Can any americans confirm if this ever happened? News to me.

The Sock

#200684 - 04/21/10 03:13 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: TheSock]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And if you read the fox news article it specifically says the Lung event was NOT (excuse me for 'shouting' I can't get italics to work on this) at the governors mansion and there is no msytery about what the infection is; just how people got it.

Quote:
Health officials worked to narrow the potential locations and connecting factors to the outbreak and determined many of those affected had attended an American Lung Association event at Terrace Hill on November 29th.

http://www.terracehill.org/

Terrace Hill is the Iowa Governer's Mansion Address.

Quote:
Hundreds of pages of e-mails, correspondence and other documents obtained by The Associated Press under Iowa's freedom of information law, as well as interviews with health officials, show a methodical inquiry into the outbreak. The investigation led to the 139-year-old governor's mansion just west of downtown Des Moines.

Kinda reminds me of Jedburghs 'Get it while its hot' classic line at the NATO conference at Gleneagles..... wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/21/10 03:18 PM)

#200686 - 04/21/10 03:59 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I can explain this - The World News Weekly went Russian.

Next up - Russian Bat Boy weds Elvis. Michael Jackson and JFK attend ceremony.

#200689 - 04/21/10 04:39 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Russian Intel reporting 2 million unexplained deaths in the USA since 2008.

Two million? Two million Americans die in any given year. So somehow half the Americans that died the last two years were "unexplained"? I must've been asleep at the switch. I missed all those unexplained deaths.

#200690 - 04/21/10 05:07 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Arney]
Carpal Tunnel

A quick look at the CDC website would have put this story to bed (unless of course, there was a government wide cover up wink ) Typically the death rate in the US is around 8.4 per 1000 giving around 2.5 million deaths per year. The supposed Russian intel story would have raised the rate to 3.5 million per year or 11.6 per 1000. The additional mortality rate supposedly being caused by an explained jump in lung diseases caused by GMO environmental issues. The CDC has not yet published mortality rates yet for 2008 and 2009 for some reason on their website.

I guess the easiest way to find out would be to contact the local funeral directors and see if business has picked up by about 30% in the last couple of years. Thats how they caught Harold Shipman.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/21/10 05:08 PM)

#200691 - 04/21/10 05:33 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

The supposed Russian intel story would have raised the rate to 3.5 million per year or 11.6 per 1000.

Only if the men in white jumpsuits and respirators don't whisk away the bodies first, before they are ever officially counted...

Honestly, as I was reading the article, I was waiting for the part where they mention chemtrails or the collapse of honey bee colonies. How many different conspiracy theories can you string together in a single news story?

#200693 - 04/21/10 05:43 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Arney]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I was waiting for the part where they mention chemtrails

I haven't seen any Chemtrails in this part of the world for the past 5 or 6 days now. Although the sun does appear to be somewhat brighter than usual. Must have alleviated the Global Dimming locally for a short period despite the invisible volcanic ash cloud. laugh

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/21/10 11:06 PM)

#200695 - 04/21/10 06:22 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
There are quite a few lessons here for those interested in spotting more bogus articles. Notice how the style of writing lends an air of credibility to it. Lots of high-tech sounding terms. Lots of numbers. I am surprised those doesn't have more decimals with them, that adds to credibility. Don't write 99%, write 98.96% or 99.36%. Since you're just making up bogus numbers, add some decimals as it adds an impression of precision. And quote lots of sources. Nobody bothers to check sources anyway, so you may as well make up many of those. And ... notice how the quoted sources don't all agree with each other, but that's fine, a little intellectual disagreement just adds to the flair.

The supposed Russian intel story would have raised the rate to 3.5 million per year

Not quite. The wording is a 40% increase in "sudden deaths" with about 1 mill "sudden deaths" per year as net result. Not 1 mill increase.

Quote:
supported by American death statistics showing that of the nearly 2.5 million deaths reported by them each year the number of “sudden deaths” has increased to 40% equaling out to over 2 million “mysterious and unexplained” deaths from early 2008 to March, 2010.

"normal sudden death rate" times 1.4 = 1 mill /year

Which gives a "normal" sudden death rate = 714.000 each year. Out of 2.5 millions, or 29%. So roughly a bit less than 1/3 of all U.S. deaths in any given year are "sudden". Of course, as "sudden" is not defined it could mean just anything.

I am sure someone here will have the intellectual curiosity to check the U.S. death toll numbers for 2007 or earlier. I would be very surprised if the 714.000 "sudden death" has anything to do with reality.

Oh, nearly forgot: That would increase the total death toll from 2.5 millions to almost 2.8 millions. There should be 285.000 more U.S. citizens dying "suddenly" each year. Where's my tin foil hat when I need it...?

Edited by MostlyHarmless (04/21/10 06:25 PM)

#200697 - 04/21/10 07:05 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
There are quite a few lessons here for those interested in spotting more bogus articles.

Thank you. I totally agree, that is, 99.999% agree. (100% agreement would be an obvious sign of intellectual laziness on my part and not seriously thinking about what you wrote, after all) wink

#200700 - 04/21/10 09:08 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Arney]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Used to be the National Enquirer would located the made up stories in a remote part of China or Russia. Something along the lines of 'Two-Headed boy born in Siberia'. Weird things happening in weird places. It also made the stories harder to check. Russia was 'behind the iron curtain'.

I suspect that when Russian creative writers wish to place their fantasies in an exotic location on the map the Good-old USA seems quite remote. Siberia and China are right next door so they won't do the trick. The US is, by international norms quite an oddball nation and full of contradictions. Big cities but wide open spaces. Cowboys and universities. High-tech with an open contempt for knowledge and learning. Always looking like we are about to explode into riot and revolution it has been looked that way for most of our 244 years.

So making up lies about millions of Americans dying from mysterious causes sounds almost plausible.

It is somewhat comforting to see that it isn't just the US that has more than its fair share of bogus media outlets pedaling creative writing as news.

#200703 - 04/21/10 09:55 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Art_in_FL]
LED Offline
Veteran

Funny, the real stories make conspiracy theories look tame by comparison.

MRSA in hospitals and animal farms
Inevitable water crisis in the US southwest
Aging infrastructure (water, sewage, bridges)
National Debt
Rising global demand for energy
etc.
etc.

Boy, now I really am scared. eek

#200705 - 04/21/10 10:29 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: LED]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Funny, the real stories make conspiracy theories look tame by comparison.

that is what gets me about conspiracy theories and these sorts of imaginative screeds. They distract away from real issues and things that deserve serious debate and discussion.

#200711 - 04/22/10 12:20 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: Art_in_FL]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
April Foolski????

#200726 - 04/22/10 07:10 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: JBMat]
TheSock Offline
Addict

>Terrace Hill is the Iowa Governer's Mansion Address.

You are right. It kept referring to the governors manson and terrace hill so I assumed they were two different places.

But really this article is obviously rubbish. Unnamed sources and reports are unnamed because they don't exist. Whenever something in the media has any basis in truth they name names. As soon as you see the words 'a report', 'a source..', 'a man...' or 'a paper reported that..'. You know it's made up.

The Sock

#200727 - 04/22/10 08:42 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: JBMat]
TheSock Offline
Addict

<Terrace Hill is the Iowa Governer's Mansion Address.

You are right. It kept referring to 'the Governors Mansion' and 'Terrace Hill' so I thought they were 2 different places.
But come on this article is obviously rubbish. When something refers to sources it can't name it's usually because they are invented. And nothing plus nothing equals nothing. Repeated claims of evidence that can't be produced are still a mountain of nothing.
The Sock

#200734 - 04/22/10 12:44 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: TheSock]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Every wild speculation starts with some basis in fact. The idea that there are some correct facts is irrelevant. The point is not what facts are correct. Its about the conclusion. Whenever you get to the conclusion, there is no corroboration or ability to provide independent verification. This means its rubbish.

Thats why "conspiracy theorists" get such a hard time. Certainly there are probably some conspiracies out there. But conspiracy theorists routinely have to make huge leaps of faith from a set of known facts to an "implausible conclusion". Just like this article.

In 15 years people will be saying that the stem rust (ug99) was a hoax. And that any modified grains made to combat it are going to cause an ecological nightmare. And they will blame Monsanto. Just wait wink

Monsanto does a lot of bad things on the road to running their business. They aren't unique. So do a lot of other companies.

#200786 - 04/23/10 07:27 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: clarktx]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
The Kremlin does a better job than that with their propaganda; even Stalinist-era propaganda was better written. That *might* had been written by someone in the sticks trying to gain favor, but it looks like the work of an unbalanced eco-loony in the West to me.

#200787 - 04/23/10 10:12 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
There could be a lot of unexplained deaths, without this being in any way sinsister or a matter for concern
"Uexplained" could include a lot of people who die at a ripe old age, but without formal autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
It could also include deaths in car crashes, where the cause is not proved, and could be either driver error, extreme weather, or mechanical failure.

#200803 - 04/23/10 02:12 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: JBMat]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: JBMat
I can explain this - The World News Weekly went Russian.

Next up - Russian Bat Boy weds Elvis. Michael Jackson and JFK attend ceremony.

You failed to mention that it was officiated by Judge Roy Crater. Jimmy Hoffa was the best man. Amelia Erhart was the matron of honor. cool

#200808 - 04/23/10 02:36 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in [Re: adam2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: adam2
"Uexplained" could include a lot of people who die at a ripe old age, but without formal autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
Theoretically, true, but practically speaking, there are few death certificates filled out "unknown" as a cause of death. Certainly not a million out of 2.4 million deaths a year to match the 2 million unexplained deaths since 2008 mentioned in the article.

Originally Posted By: adam2
It could also include deaths in car crashes, where the cause is not proved, and could be either driver error, extreme weather, or mechanical failure.

Except this news story is about some "unexplained lung disease". With all the attention focused on H1N1 and every cough and sneeze lately, could we really have missed this many people dying from some lung disease? Well, maybe if they were all driving a certain Japanese brand of car when they crashed driving themselves to the hospital...ooooooh, that's a juicy new conspiracy theory!

#200813 - 04/23/10 03:05 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in [Re: Arney]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i think it's sort of a hobby in Russia to come up with doomsday scenarios for the USA.a guy did one about the US breaking up into regions in the next few years and i have a paperback by some Russian General "America,Too Young to Die".. whenever i see stuff like this,from anywhere,i know that it's not coming from a friend of our country.

#201147 - 04/29/10 12:54 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deaths [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Link is showing up as a Attack site on my PC and acting so.

#204346 - 07/06/10 09:52 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deaths [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor: If you can forget all the politico stuff at the end of the news story, I was interested if anything in this story about the environmental/medical part of the story chimes a bell

A little late to the thread, but here are couple of links that touch on "environmental/medical part." These are sources cited in the article that apparently do exist.

I'm not suggesting, nor do I believe, that the Russian article isn't filled with made-up facts and conclusions.

"A Comparison of the Effects of Three GM Corn Varieties on Mammalian Health" published by International Journal of Biological Sciences.

The French agency Commission du Génie Biomoléculaire did apparently comment during their June 2007 meeting. Best can tell (I don't speak French; Google translation helped a little), is published on their website here.

Greenpeace comments here.

#204347 - 07/06/10 11:00 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deaths [Re: xbanker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Xbanker, here is the report in English. It doesn't look good, and that's just a small facet of it.

Farmers in the U.S. and Canadian have had problems with hogs not conceiving after they started feeding GM feeds since 2005 or so. When they went back to conventionally-grown feeds, the problems disappeared. Maybe Monsanto wants to use the stuff for population control.

Monsanto has squashed all American testing of their GM foods. France, the country Americans tend to joke about, is the only one with the cajones to publish a report. The ag colleges in the great U.S.A. tremble in fear that Monsanto will withdraw their large financial donations. Any reports that have been produced here are pro-Monsanto because they are written by Monsanto, and then they get some high-up professor at an ag college to sign it.

Ain't American government wonderful?

Sue

#204350 - 07/06/10 11:36 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deaths [Re: Susan]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Thanks Sue.

"Maybe Monsanto wants to use the stuff for population control." Maybe you're on to something. grin

"...tremble in fear that Monsanto will withdraw their large financial donations." The same dollars, perhaps, that the article characterizes as 'bribes.' In these times of tight budgets and funding, particularly in education sector, one has to believe that corporate subsidies are zealously protected ... and influence decisions.

#204353 - 07/07/10 12:21 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million unexplained US deat [Re: xbanker]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Unlocked.

Edited by martinfocazio (07/07/10 12:16 PM)

#204384 - 07/08/10 12:08 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: JBMat]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
Monsanto has squashed all American testing of their GM foods. France, the country Americans tend to joke about, is the only one with the cajones to publish a report. The ag colleges in the great U.S.A. tremble in fear that Monsanto will withdraw their large financial donations. Any reports that have been produced here are pro-Monsanto because they are written by Monsanto, and then they get some high-up professor at an ag college to sign it.

One cannot assume bias in "Any reports that have been produced here" unless one can return the theme and point out that the study cited was financed by Greenpeace and published in one of the least well established journals.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/01/13/gm-corn-leads-to-organ-failure-not-so-fast/

It also has to be noted that the conclusions drawn by the study authors is that:

Quote:
In conclusion, our data presented here strongly recommend that additional long-term (up to 2 years) animal feeding studies be performed in at least three species, preferably also multi-generational, to provide true scientifically valid data on the acute and chronic toxic effects of GM crops, feed and foods.

Clearly even the authors do not consider their own study to be conclusive or definitive.

Of course, in the typical rush to provide simple, easy to understand, and actionable conclusions the trend is to characterize GM foods as either good or bad. As if we might stop growing roses because they have thorns or stop cultivation of potatoes because when green they can be toxic if eaten uncooked.

GM crops are not so simply understood or characterized. In the end, even if the GM corn was shown to be in some way and to some extent toxic (one study does not amount to a firm conclusion) the question would be to characterize degree and aggregate effect. It is well known and understood that the pesticides, herbicides and fungicides that GM crops seek to avoid the use of are not without toxicity, even if properly used.

The statement that GM corn may be toxic may not be reason enough to avoid them. GM crops may be the more favorable choice if the alleged toxicity turned out to be less than the known and well established results of the use of chemical products typically used to bring non-GM crop to harvest.

#204385 - 07/08/10 12:22 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

The main problem is that all the GM seed was sent forth in the world WITHOUT UNBIASED TESTING. Even Monsanto doesn't know what it will or will not do, or what the long-term effects will be.

89% of the soybeans grown in the U.S. is GM.
83% of the cotton grown is GM.
75% of rapeseed (source of canola oil) is GM.
61% of the corn (about 87% livestock feed, the rest is food corn) is GM.
50% of the mango crop is GM.

Maybe the stuff will cure the common cold and cancer, but why was it allowed by OUR USDA and OUR FDA to be put into production without testing?

Sorry, I know this is political, but it also concerns worldwide survival. Many people think GM seed is just another type of hybrid, and it's not.

Sue

#204413 - 07/08/10 10:56 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Art_in_FL]
Carpal Tunnel

Feudal Serfdom down on the farm in the USA comes to mind. The byproduct of patenting life itself for profit. frown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1P8_pqrrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJAb94Tr0lo

Abhorrent, let alone the unacceptable risk probability of the environmental and health catastrophe that could result from excessive industrial monoculture.

Quote:
The statement that GM corn may be toxic may not be reason enough to avoid them. GM crops may be the more favorable choice if the alleged toxicity turned out to be less than the known and well established results of the use of chemical products typically used to bring non-GM crop to harvest.

You don't have a choice in the matter though. That choice is not yours to make in all practical reality. Thats why these companies do not want to be forced legally to label their food products as GMO or even cloned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

Soylent green labelling was somewhat lacking in raw ingredient information . wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/08/10 11:31 AM)

#204434 - 07/09/10 01:23 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Quote:

Monsanto's Roundup-Ready seeds were not created to reduce or eliminate the use of chemical products, they were genetically engineered to allow farmers to drench the crops with even higher levels of Roundup herbicide than they were already using. The seeds were designed to tolerate the use of Monsanto's Roundup, not just any herbicide. Monsanto wants to corner not only the herbicide market, but the food seed market.

Not only have farmers sprayed so much Roundup that the weeds have naturally developed resistance to it, scientists have discovered that this engineered resistance is being transferred (by way of horizontal gene transfer via pollen) to related weed plants. Now some weeds are resistant to many times the normal dose of Roundup. It can be compared to the indiscriminate use of antibiotics contributing to drug-resistant supergerms like MRSA.

In addition, our food crops contain far higher loads of the herbicide than they used to, as it is absorbed by the foliage and moved throughout the plant. Soybeans, in particular, are highly dependent on Roundup, so there is more Roundup in soy products than even the other Roundup-Ready crops.

"Putting the matter plainly", says Craig Holdrege of The Nature Institute, "when foreign genes are introduced into an organism, creating a transgenic organism ... the results for the organism and its environment are almost always unpredictable. The intended result may or may not be achieved in any given case, but the one almost sure thing is that unintended results - nontarget effects - will also be achieved." From Unintended Effects of Genetic Manipulation

Monsanto has been fighting to prevent/eliminate the labeling of GM produce and the use of GM products in your foods.

Sue

#204444 - 07/09/10 07:33 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Susan]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
"...farmers sprayed so much Roundup that the weeds have naturally developed resistance to it..."

Plants do not develop resistance against anything.
They either carry the ability to cope against pests, diseases or herbicides within their genome or they don't.
Those that can withstand, say Roundup, will live when sprayed, those that do not, don't survive.

So, no development of resistance, only survival of the fittest.

#204464 - 07/09/10 07:56 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: BorkBorkBork]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"... no development of resistance, only survival of the fittest."

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Sue

#204482 - 07/10/10 01:21 AM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Susan]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Monsanto should stick to what they do best-Carpet,Agent orange,& Napalm,Still have a use for All 3 in this Millenium! I will be the 1st one to APOLOGIZE to ETS from this thread!I believe Martin hinted at it's closure,some posts back,but someone kept testing the perimeter,&poked thru,I guess.LETS BE AWARE PEOPLE !

Edited by Richlacal (07/10/10 06:02 AM)

#204534 - 07/11/10 12:32 PM Re: Russia reporting 2 million explained deaths in US [Re: Susan]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Susan
"... no development of resistance, only survival of the fittest."

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Sue

No.

Only those that are already resistant (fit) will survive.

Those that are fit produce offspring, with inherited resistance to whatever. Nothing is developed (by this I mean created from nothing), it is inherited.

Survival of the fittest.

Edited by BorkBorkBork (07/11/10 12:36 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.