Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#200634 - 04/20/10 09:48 PM Re: Looking for a knife for my brother. Any Ideas. [Re: speedemon]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I actually DON'T like those no question asked warranty, it only means I'm paying for the bone heads who beats their knives to death just for fun. I take care of my knives but pay the same amount to the warranty pool, so essentially I'm being penalized for treat my knives well.

#200639 - 04/20/10 11:26 PM Re: Looking for a knife for my brother. Any Ideas. [Re: jzmtl]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
I actually DON'T like those no question asked warranty, it only means I'm paying for the bone heads who beats their knives to death just for fun. I take care of my knives but pay the same amount to the warranty pool, so essentially I'm being penalized for treat my knives well.

That logic only holds if there are lots of knives coming back for costly warrantee work. If the no questions asked warrantee is more of an advertising thing than something that costs the company money, then neither you or the potential knife abusers are paying much of anything extra.

My guess is that once you've advanced beyond buying those 14" Rambo-survival-alligator-knifes at the mall NinjaMart, and are spending upwards of $50 on a knife from a decent manufacturer with a name that Bubba and JimmySue wouldn't recognize, you are probably no longer an abuser. I'll bet there aren't all that many RAT cutlery knife owners running around yelling "Hey y'all, watch this!"

#200675 - 04/21/10 02:08 PM Re: Looking for a knife for my brother. Any Ideas. [Re: jzmtl]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: jzmtl

Quite alright, everyone is entitled to their own opinion (misguided as it may be).

But you are in luck, because you can buy the exact same knife from Ontario (the RAT-7), and save ~ $10-20 depending on where you buy it from. There isn't much of a warranty, so you aren't paying for "bone heads" replacement knives.

#200709 - 04/22/10 12:04 AM Re: Looking for a knife for my brother. Any Ideas. [Re: speedemon]
NIM Offline

WOW. I DID ask in the right place.

Thank you everyone for the ideas and keep them coming. I am just starting to research some of the knives suggested. I appreciate the quality of the knives presented/proposed.

Keep it coming and thank you!
-NIM

#200712 - 04/22/10 12:22 AM Re: Looking for a knife for my brother. Any Ideas. [Re: speedemon]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
That logic only holds if there are lots of knives coming back for costly warrantee work. If the no questions asked warrantee is more of an advertising thing than something that costs the company money, then neither you or the potential knife abusers are paying much of anything extra.

My guess is that once you've advanced beyond buying those 14" Rambo-survival-alligator-knifes at the mall NinjaMart, and are spending upwards of $50 on a knife from a decent manufacturer with a name that Bubba and JimmySue wouldn't recognize, you are probably no longer an abuser. I'll bet there aren't all that many RAT cutlery knife owners running around yelling "Hey y'all, watch this!"

True, unless both Ontario and RAT are willing to let us know the return rate of the same knife we are all just guessing here. But I'm basing mine on how warranty works for everybody and haven't seen any numbers suggesting otherwise.

Originally Posted By: speedemon

Quite alright, everyone is entitled to their own opinion (misguided as it may be).

But you are in luck, because you can buy the exact same knife from Ontario (the RAT-7), and save ~ $10-20 depending on where you buy it from. There isn't much of a warranty, so you aren't paying for "bone heads" replacement knives.

It's simply how the economics of warranty works, I don't see you providing any evidence to the contrary.

#200725 - 04/22/10 06:30 AM Re: Looking for a knife for my brother. Any Ideas. [Re: jzmtl]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
C'mon guys, agree to disagree and let's get back to the OP, S.V.P.

#200771 - 04/22/10 11:36 PM Re: Looking for a knife for my brother. Any Ideas. [Re: dougwalkabout]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

http://www.scrapyardknives.com/knives.htm

You might also check out Scrap Yard Knife Co (sister company of Busse and Swamp Rat; Scrap Yard is the more utilitarian of the 3 companies). Everyone I've talked to has had very high opinions of all of their knives (VERY tough knives). Several of them should fit your criteria and price range.

Edit:
Chris Reeve Knives has a couple of very nice knives also, though they are out of s30v stainless. Its a good steel, holds an edge well, and since he doesn't treat it as hard as a lot, it should sharpen pretty easily. (if I remember right, he was one of the knife makers that CPM was corresponding with when they designed s30v, so he should be able to work it well).

http://chrisreeve.com/

Another edit:
Swamp Rat has a knife right now that is 5 3/8" for sale/preorder (Ratmandu is its name). Their business model is a little weird (you have to pre-order, they only make a model or two at a time, but they make good knives as well.
details here
http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=006937

Edited by speedemon (04/23/10 11:52 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 149 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
57 minutes 44 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.