Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#200444 - 04/18/10 09:12 PM Re: Be aware of tent fires! [Re: rbruce]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My approach to the situation is to run my Coleman stuff off of a refillable 20 or 10 lb tank. The propane is much cheaper and more abundant that way. I can also run a lantern and or other appliances at the same time. I thereby avoided the recycling issues that used to plague these tiny containers, although apparently that is now remedied. Naturally, be sure to check the integrity of all connections before lighting up, unlike the unfortunate gentleman whose problems started this thread.

The one pound propane container is neither fish nor fowl. It is too heavy for backpacking and too small for car camping. When weight is important, I go with isobutane cartridges or alcohol stoves. When car camping, I like refillable tanks. I have a few one pounders in storage, but I don't depend upon them. After reading about leakage issues earlier in this thread, I am even less inclined to use them.

The adapter that I use to run my larger tanks on connections built for the one pound tanks looks very similar to the gadget pictured in the Harbor Freight link. I am scratching my head about just how that thing works, especially how it gets any adequate pressure in the smaller tank, not that I am anxious to find out.

#200463 - 04/19/10 01:39 AM Re: Be aware of tent fires! [Re: rbruce]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: rbruce
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Know any decent 1lb size refillable. I'm assuming if I get a coupe of those I could get one of those adapters to fill them from 20lb tanks.

I've been wondering the same thing. I recently bought a propane Coleman camp stove (that runs on the 1lb canisters). Would it be possible (or safe) to refill those canisters from a 20lb tank using an adapter like this one from Harbor Freight?

-Robert

I have heard people say they do it, but with all the newer 1lb tanks leaking with every use i wouldn't want to try it.

#200464 - 04/19/10 01:42 AM Re: Be aware of tent fires! [Re: hikermor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
My approach to the situation is to run my Coleman stuff off of a refillable 20 or 10 lb tank. The propane is much cheaper and more abundant that way. I can also run a lantern and or other appliances at the same time. I thereby avoided the recycling issues that used to plague these tiny containers, although apparently that is now remedied. Naturally, be sure to check the integrity of all connections before lighting up, unlike the unfortunate gentleman whose problems started this thread.

The one pound propane container is neither fish nor fowl. It is too heavy for backpacking and too small for car camping. When weight is important, I go with isobutane cartridges or alcohol stoves. When car camping, I like refillable tanks. I have a few one pounders in storage, but I don't depend upon them. After reading about leakage issues earlier in this thread, I am even less inclined to use them.

The adapter that I use to run my larger tanks on connections built for the one pound tanks looks very similar to the gadget pictured in the Harbor Freight link. I am scratching my head about just how that thing works, especially how it gets any adequate pressure in the smaller tank, not that I am anxious to find out.

I like the 1lb for small day trips. Drive a couple hours to a state park, pop out the 1lb and mini grill and cook lunch and maybe dinner before driving home.

#200506 - 04/19/10 03:18 PM Re: Be aware of tent fires! [Re: hikermor]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am scratching my head about just how that thing works, especially how it gets any adequate pressure in the smaller tank, not that I am anxious to find out.

Simple physics: greater pressure in the larger tank causes fuel to flow to the smaller one until the pressures are equal.

You should get slightly less than a full "refill" in the small tank the first several times, with progressively smaller amounts after that.

(That's math speaking above, not actual experience. smile )

#200514 - 04/19/10 04:45 PM Re: Be aware of tent fires! [Re: Compugeek]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Do your homework on what pressure the small tank is supposed to handle and what the pressure in the big one actually is...

If the difference between those two numbers is too great you need some kind of pressure reduction valve - or a good guestimate of how many seconds you can leave the connection open before the pressure in the small one gets to dangerous levels.

I don't know about the specific tanks you're thinking of refilling. Coleman propane tanks looks quite robust to me, if that's what you have in mind. Those flimsy light weight canisters (butane / propane mixture) is a totally different ball park - their pressure is MUCH lower than tanks for pure propane.

#200635 - 04/20/10 09:48 PM Re: Be aware of tent fires! [Re: raptor]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: raptor
or on candle with multiple knots.

I am sorry, I meant wicks. Knot = wick in my native language smile.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.