The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#199758 - 04/06/10 07:30 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: comms]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Comms comment about fuel use is bang on.
You need to gauge how much fuel you need before filling and lighting the stove.
If you don't put enough in you might not have enough burn time to cook what you have in the pot.
Refilling a hot stove is not fun.

If you overfill the stove you usually end up wasting fuel.
Either you let it burn off or (if you can extinguish the stove) you spill it trying to put it back in the fuel bottle.

edit.
I have seen the Trangia stove with the basic windscreen advertised for under 20 dollars.
You might want to ask at REI or a similar outfitter near you.
For example the Trangia Westwind is between $13.29 and $24.85 depending on the seller.
(Westwind is the basic trangia stove with a windscreen/potstand that is made up of three flat pieces of sheet metal.)

Edited by scafool (04/06/10 10:28 PM)

#199813 - 04/07/10 03:16 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: scafool]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
MH, sorry, misread that. I have had some leakage from one Trangia into the stove carrier-it evaporates pretty quick though, and I never noticed a different taste. There is always the option of burning it away too, I suppose smile

#199976 - 04/10/10 02:55 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: scafool]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: scafool
If you overfill the stove you usually end up wasting fuel.
Either you let it burn off or (if you can extinguish the stove) you spill it trying to put it back in the fuel bottle.
Why would you try to put it back in the fuel bottle? The stove itself should be water-tight. That's why there's an o-ring in the lid. I thought one of the virtues of a Trangia is that for short excursions you can fill it with fuel and then not carry a separate fuel bottle at all.

(Of course, this isn't true of the home-made alcohol stoves.)

#199980 - 04/10/10 06:51 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: Brangdon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
I thought one of the virtues of a Trangia is that for short excursions you can fill it with fuel and then not carry a separate fuel bottle at all.

This is quite true, but there are cautions. Be sure the O-ring is not cracked, and it is best not to place the stove in your cookpot.

I once had arranged a climbing date with a gorgeous lady. We were going on a two day excursion on a local technical peak with some friends. We made camp that evening after the approach hike, and made dinner in my cook kit. It tasted a bit odd, but it was all the food we had. In the morning my lady friend felt a bit under the weather, and remained in base camp,unable to witnes my stunning performance on the final crux pitch...

Oh, what might have been! All because of a cracked Trangia O-ring.....

Now, if you do keep the stove out of your pots and pans, leaking alcohol is not nearly as nasty as other liquid fuels. I would still keep it away from climbing ropes, harnesses, and slings.

#199981 - 04/10/10 09:43 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: hikermor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Sounds like food grade ethanol would have saved the trip.

#199993 - 04/11/10 12:09 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: LED]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Very true. And there is a lesson here. I am pretty sure the reason we didn't carry ethanol was because of the initial cost. In view of the consequences of leakage and the even worse potential results of ingesting methanol, food grade alcohol would have been ultimately more satisfactory and cheaper in the long run. To say nothing of being more versatile.

#200024 - 04/12/10 07:11 AM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I am pretty sure you would have to drink a decent amount of methanol to achieve a health risk. The tiny amount smeared on you cook pot after fuel leakage would not be in any way dangerous, even with methanol.

The additives, though... any methanol for sale should - in my opinion, that is - have additives to make sure no one in their right minds would ever want to drink it. As nasty tasting as you can make it. Possibly something to make you throw up as well.

Where I live, all alcohol sold over the counter for burning and cleaning purposes is treated the same way. Food proof (96%) alcohol is tightly regulated on a "need" basis - there are certain processes and purposes where the additives can foul up an experiment. Of course, any chemist will know that you need lots and lots of the food grade stuff to clean Kalman Filters.... wink

#200229 - 04/15/10 04:23 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: MostlyHarmless]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
The additives, though... any methanol for sale should - in my opinion, that is - have additives to make sure no one in their right minds would ever want to drink it. As nasty tasting as you can make it. Possibly something to make you throw up as well.

"Denatured Alcohol" is non less poisonous ethanol with about 10 percent methanol added to make it un less drinkable. That way it can be sold as a solvent without being subject to the excise taxes that apply to liquor. Ironically, ethanol is an antidote for methanol poisoning.

No idea if you can tell the a difference by taste. I do know that you don't want to get a lungful of hot methanol fumes.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#200232 - 04/15/10 04:52 PM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: thseng]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: thseng

"Denatured Alcohol" is non less poisonous ethanol with about 10 percent methanol added to make it un less drinkable. That way it can be sold as a solvent without being subject to the excise taxes that apply to liquor. Ironically, ethanol is an antidote for methanol poisoning.

What you write makes me shiver...

Around here, the really though and desperate alcoholics will drink denatured alcohol, despite the nasty tasting denaturization chemicals. One particular chain store had a supplier which put methanol in their batch of denatured alcohol. Result: Several miserable deaths and even more poor fellows blinded.

Don't EVER consider drinking methanol. Methanol is deadly poison that will kill you or make your blind - it is NOT a "less drinkable" alcohol substitute. As far as I know, there is no taste difference or other way of telling the two apart than looking at the label.

The irony for the outdoors community... that denatured alcohol from that particular vendor had earned a reputation among backpackers for producing less sooth than other kinds of denatured alcohol. Now we know why...

#200287 - 04/16/10 11:33 AM Re: Alcohol Stove [Re: MostlyHarmless]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Sorry, I wasn't being clear.

What I originally wrote was:
Quote:
"Denatured Alcohol" is non-poisonous ethanol with about 10 percent methanol added to make it poisonous and undrinkable. That way it can be sold as a solvent without being subject to the excise taxes that apply to liquor.

But then it occoured to me that ethanol is not exactly inert either. Thus the irony. (and the confusion)

I didn't know that it was denatured with alternate substances also. I would agree that it would be better to make it unpalatable rather than deadly. With methanol you get a death sentence for tax evasion.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.