Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#199665 - 04/05/10 12:46 PM Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA
Here's some pretty incredible video footage of the earthquake in the middle of the desert. Click here for video on gettingprepared.info The desert sort of explodes in dust.

Edited by Horus (04/05/10 01:18 PM)

#199666 - 04/05/10 01:06 PM Re: Video of Earthquake in Baja [Re: Horus]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I've heard reports from witnesses of similar dust clouds being kicked up after the powerful Haiti and Shichuan earthquakes, but I think this is the first time I've seen video of the phenomenon. Reminds me of wildfire video footage.

#199670 - 04/05/10 01:25 PM Re: Video of Earthquake in Baja [Re: Arney]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

That's fascinating footage. Thanks for posting the link!

#199686 - 04/05/10 06:13 PM Re: Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake [Re: Horus]
LED Offline
Veteran

Dude!! lol. Amazing video, thanks for sharing.

#200035 - 04/12/10 02:25 PM Re: Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake [Re: LED]
Hectorcillot Offline
Stranger

Loc: Baja California, Mexico
Unfortunately, I live in Mexicali, where the quake epicenter was. Those mountains are about 30 miles away from the city, and after the earthquake, the cloud of dust moved in.

The city has an earthquake culture (5.0 shakes are usual) so the houses and buildings are made with a more strict building code. In the city, some houses presented structural damages, but none of them fell during the shake. My house is a 2 story concrete block edification, and only suffered minor wall cracks (My wife made me put the bed on the first floor, due to the aftershakes that we have been having).

In the Mexicali Valley, it is a different story, a lot of houses where destroyed, because the earth "cracked open" in a lot of places, houses where "cut" in two, some of them fell into the cracks. In other parts the quakes opened cracks that started to emanate hot water (like little geisers) and flooded with water and mud nearby houses. A lot of irrigation channels got damaged and filtered water to the underground. Fortunately, there where only 2 deaths and about 250 wounded, it was a lucky thing that the quake hit on a festive sunday, so almost everybody was outside their homes (We are BIG fans of sunday grilling carne asada). Most of the services (electricity, water phone lines) where restored in 24-48 hours in the city. In the valley about 20,000 people went homeless, they do not have water or electricity, their houses are total loss. Right now we are making some donations that are collected in various points of the city to send a little bit of help to our brothers in need, we are donating food, water, tents, blankets, diapers, etc. The government and military are implementing contingency plans and are already looking for some options to put a roof over their heads (They have even commented about some mobile homes that where used in Katrina).

#200043 - 04/12/10 03:56 PM Re: Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake [Re: Hectorcillot]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the forum, Hector! I'm glad you and the wife are safe, that must of been a heck of an experience. Have you found yourself changing anything in your preparedness because of it?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#200078 - 04/13/10 02:16 PM Re: Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake [Re: Blast]
Hectorcillot Offline
Stranger

I was in my in-laws house when it happened (They live in the edge of the city), so i didn't have immediate access to my emergency stuff (I had stopped carrying stuff in the car due to car robberies common here).

My brothers in-law and I hopped in my SUV (I was the one with a full tank) and went to check our houses, closed the gas tanks, water lines, electricity, gathered the emergency items (tents, blankets, camping gear) food and water and made a campground with the in-laws. We went to a water channel to fill up a 200 lt. plastic container for bathroom use.

My family is used to camping trips to the beach and mountains , so the idea of being a few days sleeping out in tents without light and running water wasn't bad, they all knew what to do.

My daughter wanted to stay a few days more "camping with her grandparents".

Unfortunately my in-laws house has been determined unsafe (It is a very old house that was made with a material called "Adobe", they are blocks made of mud, straw and ashes, joined together with mud, a common building material in the Mexicali valley)and is going to be demolished. So right now we are making them a new house (starting with only 2 rooms and the bathroom), we hope to finish them by the weekend.

So my only regret was not to have my basic emergency gear in the car, otherwise, everything went fairly well. I try not to have less than a half tank of gas in the car (this was a big problem with everybody, i had to take them to a gas station that had an emergency generator and make a huge line to buy gas.

This event has made people aware (again) that they need to be prepared for an emergency, they all where too accustomed to quakes that didn't had repercussions, so this one caught them off guard.

#200109 - 04/13/10 11:35 PM Re: Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake [Re: Hectorcillot]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

are you making adobe again? Should consider superadobe (sandbag + barbwire).

#200112 - 04/13/10 11:55 PM Re: Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake [Re: Hectorcillot]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Appreciate you relating your story. Especially because what you did in "camping out" is my plan when my house gets damaged, as it almost inevitably will, someday.....

Too bad about the adobe. It is not earthquake resistant material, although there is nothing better in a hot climate.

#200113 - 04/14/10 12:48 AM Re: Mountains Explode in Dust: Vid of Baja Earthquake [Re: hikermor]
Hectorcillot Offline
Stranger

The new house is gonna be made with a concrete foundation but wood walls and ceiling, we are no longer using Adobe. I'm starting this weekend with mi house reparations. I was waiting until the replicas ended (so far more than 2000, ranging from 1.0 to 5.5), but they haven't stopped (Experts are saying that maybe in a month they will stop), so no more waiting.
Usgs earthquake page Mexicali

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.