Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#200012 - 04/11/10 09:33 PM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: UncleGoo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Accidental double-post.

Edited by chaosmagnet (04/11/10 11:23 PM)
Edit Reason: double-post

#200017 - 04/11/10 11:41 PM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: chaosmagnet]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Serious lack of first aid supplies: minor scratches kit, izzy bandage, quick-clot, duct tape/waterproof medical tape, blister bandages, etc.; extra socks (wool or polypro); Boker Cop Tool;leather or nomex+leather gloves;4-way silcock key; something to carry water in; water pure tabs/ water filter bottle; emergency poncho; foil blanket; small am-fm radio. You need an urban emergency kit. A decent one can be assembled with about a 3-4lb. weight factor. I suggest you shift to a laptop friendly, non-tactical backpack.

#200018 - 04/12/10 12:08 AM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: chaosmagnet]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I have been commuting by bus for just under 14 years.

Everything I carry in my backpack I've used at one time or another. You're carrying more than needed.

- Outerwear appropriate for walking at least a mile outdoors in the local range of weather

Well, you should be WEARING that right?

- dress shoes

I don't get this. Why would you carry dress shoes?

- iPhone Charging

Yeah, everyone with an iPhone needs a LOT of backup power options smile

I'd add:

Bandanna, Chapstick, Small sunscreen, $100, Small Towel. The towel is no joke - the small towel I have get a lot of use - I put it in my lap if I have tea to drink, I roll it up as a pillow, I wrap fragile things in it. Very handy.

Standardize your flashlights to AA or AAA batteries, match your external USB charger. Carry Lithium spare - much lighter.

#200019 - 04/12/10 12:09 AM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: Teslinhiker]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Finally add a small 1/2 roll of TP in a ziploc bag or a travelers pack of baby wipes as you never know when you will need it...

++ On that. Forgot to add that to my list of "commuter essentials"

#200021 - 04/12/10 02:08 AM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"My wife stays at home, so the reasons to get home in the event of a major disaster would be to get to where more guns and ammo are, as well as more gear and stored food."

May I assume your wife is familiar enough with the weapons to hold the fort until you get home? I hope.

"If it took a day or two, that wouldn't necessarily be a big deal."

Forty miles in a day or two? That's under ideal circumstances. Forty miles through "enemy territory"? I doubt it.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander of the joint task force in the Hurricane Katrina situation, said that local governments prepare for best-case scenarios, when they should be preparing for worst-case scenarios. I think that's something important to keep in mind. My usual max for distance away from home on my job is about 85 miles, and the biggest most-likely disaster is a major earthquake. On foot (practically guaranteed), I am assuming that it might take me somewhere in the vicinity of TWO WEEKS or so to get home. Getting across the three rivers could be an additional major problem.

Sue

#200022 - 04/12/10 02:43 AM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: chaosmagnet]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
It's roughly 40 miles. I know the streets between work and home intimately and I'm confident that I can navigate home successfully on foot without a map. The only maps that are really good for this area are too bulky to carry, so unless I find one that's small enough but still has sufficient detail to be worthwhile, I will probably have to skip this one.

40 miles is a long way from home if you were on foot. If I were to draw separate lines to N/S/W/E compass points 40 miles out in my AO, I would not be looking forward to a walk of this distance.

I can walk 5-1/2 miles in just over an hour (70 minutes) on pavement/good terrain with good proper shoes (not dress style) however I could not keep this pace up more then 2, maybe 3 hours tops on a good day without fatigue setting in and my speed dropping substantially. If your pace drops down to 3 miles an hour, do the math and you will see that a 30 mile walk can be 10 hours for more. Also keep in mind, even walking requires regular training. There is a local walking charity event here that is 30 kms (18 miles) in length and every year hundreds of "fit" people drop out due to sore feet / ankles, sore shin muscles etc.

I really suggest the maps and only the carry the essential, meaning cutting the map(s) to include your possible routes only. Alternatively save some offline Google Maps to your iPhone as every block or 1/4 mile saved by shortcutting through parks, shopping complexes etc can make a big difference when your hoofing it.

John Lubbock

#200023 - 04/12/10 03:24 AM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: Teslinhiker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

40 miles is a long way from home if you were on foot. If I were to draw separate lines to N/S/W/E compass points 40 miles out in my AO, I would not be looking forward to a walk of this distance.

I can walk 4-1/2 miles in just over an hour (70 minutes) on pavement/good terrain with good proper shoes (not dress style) however I could not keep this pace up more then 2, maybe 3 hours tops on a good day without fatigue setting in and my speed dropping substantially. If your pace drops down to 3 miles an hour, do the math and you will see that a 30 mile walk can be 10 hours for more. Also keep in mind, even walking requires regular training. There is a local walking charity event here that is 30 kms (18 miles) in length and every year hundreds of "fit" people drop out due to .

I really suggest the maps and only the carry the essential, meaning cutting the map(s) to include your possible routes only. Alternatively save some offline Google Maps to your iPhone as every block or 1/4 mile saved by shortcutting through parks, shopping complexes etc can make a big difference when your hoofing it.

Good advice on the expectations to maintain for walking out. Most people only walk at 1.5 to 2 mph. If they press they are prone to "sore feet / ankles, sore shin muscles etc" and once you have get sore feet or shinsplints your chances of speeding up get slim without risking considerable, possibly demoralizing, pain and significant injury.

I wouldn't be too quick to cut down maps. Savings tend to be insignificant and the maps themselves are a resource. If you treat them to make them water resistant they are potential ground sheets, insulation, tinder. Rolled they are splints. That, and you never know where you might end up during an emergency. People have been diverted fifty miles and more by industrial accidents, bridges going down, etcetera.

Also it pays to have updated forestry service and topo maps of the area. Road maps often leave a lot out and the difference between being stuck and a minor inconvenience is sometimes in the details.

If hard-copy maps get bulky any full-service copy shop can provide useful services like changing scale, printing maps on both sides of a sheet, and printing on waterproof and tear resistant Mylar or Tyvek sheeting.

Depending on how hard-core you want to go you might get them printed on Tyvek or silk, and have it stitched into a jacket.

#200036 - 04/12/10 02:57 PM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: acropolis5]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Serious lack of first aid supplies: minor scratches kit, izzy bandage, quick-clot, duct tape/waterproof medical tape, blister bandages, etc.; extra socks (wool or polypro); Boker Cop Tool;leather or nomex+leather gloves;4-way silcock key; something to carry water in; water pure tabs/ water filter bottle; emergency poncho; foil blanket; small am-fm radio. You need an urban emergency kit. A decent one can be assembled with about a 3-4lb. weight factor. I suggest you shift to a laptop friendly, non-tactical backpack.

I do have a small FAK, like I said. I'm all set for minor scratches. With regard to the trauma supplies, they're pretty bulky.

Duct tape is a good idea.

Extra socks I might cache at the office. I'd be reluctant to add the bulk to my laptop bag.

What does the cop tool get me that my folder and Wave don't?

I do have leather gloves when the weather calls for it, and I posted previously that I'll start carrying them when it doesn't.

Does a silcock key do anything that my Wave doesn't? I've got my water bottle. Water purification tabs are a good idea.

Rather than an emergency poncho I'm more likely to have my rain shell with me. I do have a Heatsheets blanket on my list.

#200037 - 04/12/10 03:06 PM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
- Outerwear appropriate for walking at least a mile outdoors in the local range of weather

Well, you should be WEARING that right?

That's what I meant, same for the shoes.

Bandanna, Chapstick, Small sunscreen, $100, Small Towel. The towel is no joke - the small towel I have get a lot of use - I put it in my lap if I have tea to drink, I roll it up as a pillow, I wrap fragile things in it. Very handy.

Bandanna was added to the list. Chapstick and sunscreen are excellent additions. A bandanna can serve as my small towel.

Standardize your flashlights to AA or AAA batteries, match your external USB charger. Carry Lithium spare - much lighter.

All my flashlights are running lithium primaries. I have a spare AA (plus a "spare" AA in my laptop mouse) and my E01 serves as carrier for a spare AAA. The USB charger is a lithium-ion battery pack that is recharged via USB as well as providing USB and other sorts of power. It's good for two "zero-to-hero" charges on my iPhone. I keep it charged.

I respectfully disagree about standardizing on batteries; I'm not giving up my Quark 123 for anything and I'm more likely to be able to successfully scrounge if any one of AA, AAA and 123 will work for me.

#200039 - 04/12/10 03:17 PM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: Susan]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
May I assume your wife is familiar enough with the weapons to hold the fort until you get home? I hope.

You bet she is.

"If it took a day or two, that wouldn't necessarily be a big deal."

Forty miles in a day or two? That's under ideal circumstances. Forty miles through "enemy territory"? I doubt it.

You're absolutely right. My physical condition would definitely allow me to move 20+ miles per day on foot for a couple of days, but that depends on the weather cooperating and not having to fight my way through. If I'm hoofing it 40 miles through "enemy territory" the whole way, I'm in big trouble.

What can I do about it? I can't carry a rifle everywhere, it would be viewed as socially unacceptable by the constabulary. I'm unlikely to have more than two extra magazines for my pistol. If things get that nasty I may have to hole up somewhere and hope they get better.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander of the joint task force in the Hurricane Katrina situation, said that local governments prepare for best-case scenarios, when they should be preparing for worst-case scenarios. I think that's something important to keep in mind. My usual max for distance away from home on my job is about 85 miles, and the biggest most-likely disaster is a major earthquake. On foot (practically guaranteed), I am assuming that it might take me somewhere in the vicinity of TWO WEEKS or so to get home. Getting across the three rivers could be an additional major problem.Sue

General Honoré is worthy of respect for many reasons.

I can't carry two weeks of food and water on the train. In fact, I think of my car kit as being pretty comprehensive but it's only good for three days of food and water for one person. What do you do?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 148 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.