The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#199799 - 04/07/10 12:13 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Nicodemus]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
A thin layer of corrosion or the protective coating is part of the fun...

Impress your friends with a huge shower of sparks, then hand it over upside down so your friends try to make sparks on the protective coating or a corroded part of the steel... Scraping the fire steel is the simplest action imaginable, but your friend will not succeed until he scrapes all the way down to unprotected material or realizes he needs to flip it over.

OK, just a sample of my bad taste in practical jokes, but there is a educative purpose here too. First you make a fool out of your friend, then show him the conditions for the sparks to fly. That lesson will stick.

#199844 - 04/08/10 01:31 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
No Kidding!I live in an Extremely Dry area,Except for the fact I'm 3 miles from the Pacific Ocean,The air here is Salty for the most parts,& Smoggy for All the other parts,lol!My (Svenska) Firesteel fuzzed up on me,though I do work at The Beach,or 200 yds from the beach anyhow,& My keychain w/Firesteel,Used to hang on a caribiner on my belt loop.Leigh lives in The UK,& I'm sure his problem is Similar.

#199972 - 04/10/10 01:44 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Richlacal]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Is it possible to store a few tinder-quick's or some jut cord between the fire steel and the wall of the container?

#199973 - 04/10/10 01:49 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Cauldronborn]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
No, you're not fitting much of anything in there.

#199974 - 04/10/10 02:15 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: chaosmagnet]
MIKEG Offline

Loc: VA
The response I got from the company is that the majority of goods are made in china. I would be much happier about the price if it was at least American made but it is not. While a good design in theory it would take a good bit of impressing me to make me a buyer considering the secondary factors. All in all though still good to see some solid thought put into gear.

#199975 - 04/10/10 02:40 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: MIKEG]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
It looks gorgeous. The Atwood of sparkers. It could well be worth its weight in gold, if it's the one you have with you when you need it.

But it's maybe a bit fiddly. If your hands are cold or you are wearing gloves, it won't be easy to do all the unscrewing and rescrewing to get it into usable form.

#199979 - 04/10/10 04:54 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Brangdon]
MedXLT Offline
Stranger

First time seeing the Nano Striker. Really nice design!

#200029 - 04/12/10 12:50 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: snoman]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Here is a another source for fire steel tubes. I am not associated with either of the companies. These steels are mischmetal.

firesteel.com has sizes from 3/16 to 3/8. The 1/2 steel is no longer available. I was able to chat with Ron and said he had one left which he sold to me. Not very practicable for a PSK because of size and weight so this for my small collection of fire making tools and not my PSK. Pictures and report to follow once I receive it.

https://firesteel.com/categories/FireSteel-Tubes/

goinggear.com sells the mischmetal steels in the raw. Roll your own with 1/2 x 12" mother of all fire steels! Does any know of a source for these aluminum tubes (or similar)?

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Edited by ChicagoCraig (04/12/10 12:51 PM)

#200385 - 04/17/10 11:09 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig

firesteel.com has sizes from 3/16 to 3/8. The 1/2 steel is no longer available. I was able to chat with Ron and said he had one left which he sold to me. Not very practicable for a PSK because of size and weight so this for my small collection of fire making tools and not my PSK. Pictures and report to follow once I receive it.

https://firesteel.com/categories/FireSteel-Tubes/

goinggear.com sells the mischmetal steels in the raw. Roll your own with 1/2 x 12" mother of all fire steels! Does any know of a source for these aluminum tubes (or similar)?

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Thanks for the links. I see a couple of custom firesteel projects coming up...

John Lubbock

#208908 - 10/03/10 04:30 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: snoman]
Spiritwalker Offline

My nanoSTRIKER is a perfect fit for my intended use; EDC/PSK and as back-up for other fire starters in my larger kits. It is also has the capacity to handle frequent use in a worst case scenario (i.e.: Long-term survival with nothing but my EDC). It is pricey but some things are worth the investment. In my opinion, the nanoSTRIKER is definitely one of those things.

On the topic of corrosion;
I have a Gerber Strike Force purchased back in '88 or so. I've used it a couple dozen times at most but it's spent decades bouncing around in various packs/car kits and storage units. There is severe corrosion and pitting along one side, although with its 1/2 inch diameter I'm not too worried about it failing. I really like the idea of shrink tubing to protect the ferro rods and I'll be putting that to use on all of mine.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.