Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199521 - 04/02/10 08:02 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: Eugene]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I'm sorry to hear about your child's accident. I wish her the best.

Another option, if you're interested in learning additional skills besides CPR might be a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)-type program. But check that child-infant CPR is part of the curriculum. It may or may not be. We only had adult CPR + AED training in my CERT-like program about a year ago.

If you work for a large employer, there may be regularly scheduled CPR classes--maybe even on-site--for employees whose job duties require it. You'd probably still have to pay, but it may be the most convenient option if you can do it at work.

CPR has become simpler than when you last took a class so I'd encourage you to persevere and follow through on getting some current training. The new protocol is easier to remember. Good luck!

#199528 - 04/02/10 09:24 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: Arney]
LED Offline
Veteran

+1 on the CERT class and the Red Cross first aid/CPR courses. They really drill the basics and keep it very simple so you're more likely to remember in an emergency.

#199529 - 04/02/10 09:29 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: LED]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Places to ask about such training might include fire departments, red cross, county health department, hospitals, and YMCA. The YMCA because they often host the classes.

#199534 - 04/02/10 10:34 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: Eugene]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Eugene,

All of the answers here will no doubt provide you with some very good training. I would second any recommendations for a first aid class as well.

Glocker36 pointed out that you should also obtain a first aid kit, or even make your own. Do become familiar with it as suggested and yes plenty of forums are filled with plenty of good intending people who have no knowledge on how to use one. There are plenty of us on here who will critique it for you. Buy or even make a few more kits as well. One for each vehicle you own and a spare. My neighbor's son took theirs on a boy scout outing or some such and came home without it. Mom was not too pleased. I had to help her put another together, which I don't mind, but she worried it would happen again. She then went to Costco and bought 3 in a bundle pack. We built one good kit and used one for her Jeep. The third will be used when her son goes camping again this summer.

If you contact the fire department then you might also ask them if they'll teach a class on fire extinguisher use. Even if they do not teach the first aid or CPR they may hold a class for fire extinguisher use. Homeowners and businesses have them and I would say a vast majority of people have no idea how to safely and effectively use them. Alan and Martin may be able to provide better information on this than I am able to.

Glad to hear that your daughter will be okay.

Stargazer

#199548 - 04/03/10 02:23 AM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: stargazer]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I do have basic first aid kits in each vehicle, they just don't have a lot in them since I don't have the skills to use a lot. Thats part of my preps up to this point, small FAK in each vehicle, GHB in each vehicle. Small FAK in my bob and bike bags and a big FAK bought at a store that I keep in the camper in the gaarage so its handy there as well as the FAK stuff in the medicine cabinet at home. Park of my preps consists of going through and replacing old stuff, even a simple bandaid seems to turn old and yellow after sitting a couple years. I'll buy the big boxes of stuff as Sams club and distribute through all the FAK's. I'm going to hold on adding to any until I take the class then add in anything I was taught how and when to use.

Still trying to figure out why we have all fallen down these stairs too. Something to do with the carpet I guess, seems slippery at the tip of each step. I thought about ripping it up but I'm not sure what to replace with, wood flooring can be slippery too.

#199572 - 04/03/10 02:26 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: Lono]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Lono
Local fire departments can offer CPR too. My preference is for a combined CPR and AED course, there are enough AEDs around these days, it is good to know how to apply them in a pinch, it sure helps survival rates.

And do keep up with the recertifications, while you can try to remember what you learned several years ago, if you don't use it regularly you will want the practice.

I'm AED certified and I honestly and truly can't figure how someone could screw up using an AED, even if they have never seen one before.

#199599 - 04/03/10 11:15 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: MarkO]
LED Offline
Veteran

I agree, but a crisis is the worst time to learn how to use a potentially life saving tool, even one as simple (and loud) as an AED. IMO not much different from testing out your firestarting methods. Firesteel for example is a very simple concept, make sparks and you have fire. But if you're wet and cold and need to get a fire going pronto, it couldn't hurt to have practiced it a time or two.

#199603 - 04/03/10 11:33 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: LED]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Are AED's common enough that I would ever have access to one, I've never seen or heard of one before, had to google to see what one was.

#199604 - 04/03/10 11:36 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: Eugene]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Are AED's common enough that I would ever have access to one, I've never seen or heard of one before, had to google to see what one was.

I've seen them in malls, convention centers, on planes etc, etc.

#199674 - 04/05/10 04:06 PM Re: Where would I look for a course on CPR [Re: MarkO]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: MarkO
[quote=Lono]I'm AED certified and I honestly and truly can't figure how someone could screw up using an AED, even if they have never seen one before.

Main point of the training is to try and convince people that they don't work on people that have had a heart attack - whatever you see on ER/Gresy anatomy/House ....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.