The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#199589 - 04/03/10 07:52 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Art_in_FL]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
............. At the risk of sounding like a broken record (broken CD?).......

Corrupted .mp3 perhaps ??

#199591 - 04/03/10 08:18 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I really think that one should actually read the infomation on a Mars Bar.

I've spent the last year or so comparing Mars Bar's, Snickers et al to power bars etc. With a view of putting together an emergency ration from off the shelf, easily obtained components, that is light and takes little to zero preparation.

The one of the more interesting thing's that came out of my research is that as an emergency ration a Mars Bar is an excellent choice. Its 240 Kcal and very high in carbohydrate and protein.

Interestingly most so called "power bars" that I have examined fall short of that. In fact, thus far I have not found one that one would consider acceptable. I am, as they say, distinctly less than impressed.

An Adult Male Human (AMH) needs around 2500- 3200 Kcalories per day. AHM can survive and continue to function well for several days on less provided you have a source of carbohydrate and, preferably, protein.

I personally think that dropping $2-3 of Mars Bars, GORP trail mix, Jelly beans and the like in your pockets before you set out is pure common sense.

And a life saver.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (04/03/10 08:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Expanded my remarks.

#199592 - 04/03/10 08:53 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I really think that one should actually read the infomation on a Mars Bar.

I've spent the last year or so comparing Mars Bar's, Snickers et al to power bars etc. With a view of putting together an emergency ration from off the shelf, easily obtained components, that is light and takes little to zero preparation.

The one of the more interesting thing's that came out of my research is that as an emergency ration a Mars Bar is an excellent choice. Its 240 Kcal and very high in carbohydrate and protein.

Interestingly most so called "power bars" that I have examined fall short of that. In fact, thus far I have not found one that one would consider acceptable. I am, as they say, distinctly less than impressed.

An Adult Male Human (AMH) needs around 2500- 3200 Kcalories per day. AHM can survive and continue to function well for several days on less provided you have a source of carbohydrate and, preferably, protein.

I personally think that dropping $2-3 of Mars Bars, GORP trail mix, Jelly beans and the like in your pockets before you set out is pure common sense.

And a life saver.

Maybe the Snickers Bars on your side of the ocean are produced differently then the NA Snickers Bars.

I don't mind Cliff Bars which is what I used for comparison purposes. Many of the people I venture out with prefer Cliff's. At MEC, it is one of their best selling bars. I also cannot recall the last time I bought a chocolate bar.

Snickers Bar , (57.0 gr)

Calories 271
Calories from Fat 122

% Daily Value
Total Fat 13.6g 21%
Saturated Fat 5.2g 26%
Trans Fat 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.7g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.5g
Cholesterol 7mg 2%
Sodium 140mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 34.5g 12%
Dietary Fiber 1.3g 5%
Sugars 28.8g
Protein 4.3g

Vitamin A 2% • Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 5% • Iron 2%

Typical Cliff Bar , (68 gr)

Calories 240
Calories from Fat 36

% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.0g 6%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 46.0g 15%
Dietary Fiber 5.0g 20%
Sugars 21.0g
Protein 10.0g

Vitamin A 30% • Vitamin C 100%
Calcium 25% • Iron 25%

Even with the slight package weight difference and the calculations of calories etc, I'll take a Cliff in my kit over a chocolate bar...just personal preference.

John Lubbock

#199595 - 04/03/10 09:56 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A Payday bar is roughly the same as the Snickers, about 50% fat. They actually might be more effective in cold temperatures, but I agree with you, I prefer Clif bars. Tanka bars are pretty good, as well - basically pemmican.

#199596 - 04/03/10 10:27 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
When we go out into the woods in the fall bird hunting, the wife and I always each have;
1. two Clif bars,
2. one cup of some variant of home made GORP(peanut/raisin/MM/nuts/sesame sticks/Chex/seeds/parched&salted corn...),
3. six Ricola herbal coughdrops. The Ricola drops have 15 cal each, individually wrapped, moisten and sooth the throat, and don't taste as sweet as regular candy drops.

#199602 - 04/03/10 11:26 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm partial to Cliff bars.

A variety of flavors so everyone can get something they like. But even my favorites are not so delicious that I'm tempted to gorge on them if I'm not really hungry. They also don't seem to increase thirst like some bars. They are heavy enough to satisfy hunger for a good time without being too heavy.

A Cliff bar and a half liter or more of water makes a minimalist meal. Two will get me through a day. One in the mid-AM for energy and another shortly before tucking in at night so I can sleep well has got me through a few tight times. Can't say I felt full but it definitely took the edge off and kept my feet moving.

At $1 each, pretty much anywhere, you could do worse. A few retailers give you a discount if you buy a box of six.

The Ricola herbal coughdrops are also a good call IMO. When food and water are scarce soothing the dryness can be very comforting. Lots of relief in a small package.

#199609 - 04/04/10 01:20 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Art_in_FL]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Having a nut allergy takes a lot of things out of play in regards to the emer-rations; which stinks because I really like all but about two or three kinds of nuts.

Any suggestions?

I thank you in advance for recommendations.

#199620 - 04/04/10 10:04 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: MoBOB]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Having a nut allergy takes a lot of things out of play in regards to the emer-rations; which stinks because I really like all but about two or three kinds of nuts.

Any suggestions?

I thank you in advance for recommendations.

Try making GORP by mixing roasted/salted soybeans with MMs and raisins and whatever crunchy morsels you like. Many big grocery and health food stores sell them in bulk.

#199621 - 04/04/10 10:11 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
I'm partial to Cliff bars.

A variety of flavors so everyone can get something they like. But even my favorites are not so delicious that I'm tempted to gorge on them if I'm not really hungry.

Exactly right. If I had a Snickers with me, I would eat it before I was out of sight of my truck. Clif bars have survived for many days in my kit uneaten, even though I like them.

#199624 - 04/04/10 11:37 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Based on your input I am now looking for a snickers substitute with less fat and more energy from nuts, dried fruits, sugar and the like... both quick and slow carbs. Although the snickers aren't bad for this purpose I don't need to carry fat in my PSK, I've got more than enough around my stomach....

Your wilderness / survival diet according to one of our local outdoors legends:
Fat - on your body
Protein - from nature (fishing, hunting, insects)
Carbohydrates - with you.

As posted in this thread, a minimum intake of carbs will make you function reasonably well for quite some time. (According to Swedish army manual, the limit for functioning at an all-carb 500 kcal diet is when fat reserves are totally depleted, which should take about 3-4 weeks for their typical healthy male soldier). I have no illusions that this is a miserable (and hungry!) diet, but at least you should be able to function at a level sufficient for self preservation.

I am a bit puzzled that so many here talk about protein. My understanding is that muscle-building protein isn't important in a survival scenario. A minimum intake of carbs is important for body functions to remain normal, including fat burning. And ANYTHING you can eat beyond that will make you feel better: Carbs, protein, fat, fibers, ... gulp down as much as you can get hold of easily.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (04/04/10 11:38 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.