The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#198745 - 03/23/10 01:03 PM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: oldsoldier]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
oldsoldier, OHT is the abbreviation for the VIctorinox One Hand Treker, which does have a wood saw (it's a liner lock to boot too).

#198754 - 03/23/10 03:04 PM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: Cauldronborn]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn
oldsoldier, OHT is the abbreviation for the VIctorinox One Hand Treker, which does have a wood saw (it's a liner lock to boot too).

Thanks! I cannot look at them, as most of those sites are blocked at work frown

#198759 - 03/23/10 04:09 PM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd carry more meds, drop the hockey tape, add 3 food bars. ( and for me sunglasses or spare glasses/ contacts) Flagging tape?

#198773 - 03/23/10 06:49 PM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: oldsoldier]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn

Thanks! I cannot look at them, as most of those sites are blocked at work frown

Here try this.

Attachments
OHT.jpg

#198775 - 03/23/10 06:58 PM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
The AMK bivy bag was quite big, too big to fit into my PSK so I have to go with their emergency blanket instead.

Agreed, but you are already relying on things outside the PSK (the stainless steel water bottle in your pack, remember?). I suggest adding the AMK bivy bag or equivalent to your pack as well.

But for all I know that pack may already have a tent inside - in which case the bivy bag is just dead weight. But for day hikes a lightweight bivy bag is a great asset.

Myself, I carry a bivy bag three times the weight of the AMK. Probably three times the packing volume as well. But my bivy bag doubles as comfort item on lots and lots of lunch breaks through the years - it splits open and can be used as a lean too or wind breaker for a whole group. A true multi purpose item, but with a weight penalty for its more robust quality: Strong fabric, good zippers and solid grommets for tying. For emergency only use I'd stick with the AMK bivy bag or the slightly bigger, but somewhat insulated "blizzard survival bag" (google and you'll find it).

#198784 - 03/23/10 10:25 PM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: MostlyHarmless]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Okay, I switched the hockey tape for a much smaller roll since I still would like to have some. Also added some yellow electrical tape for marking purpose. There's are space left so I stuck some hexane tabs inside too. Don't have any cotton nor vaseline, and don't want to buy a lifetime supply of them, so no petro cotton ball for now.

I have a coghlan's tube tent that will go in the backpack, I know it's crappy but don't know anything else that's as compact.

#198801 - 03/24/10 12:50 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am puzzled by the carabiner. First off, please tell me it is a climbing strength biner, and not one of those toy look-a-likes with "Do Not Use for Climbing" stamped on it. If you are going to carry one, it should be climbing strenth, some of which are extremely lightweight, albeit expensive.

If it is climbing grade, I am not sure how you plan to use it, since it is your only piece of climbing gear.

Agonizing about the carabiner is definitely quibbling. Your PSK will get you through a lot of bad stuff, but I would consider omitting the biner unless it serves some major purpose which doesn't seem to me to be very obvious.

I am open to enlightenment.

#198806 - 03/24/10 01:16 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: hikermor]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

To be honest I just threw it in there because it was next to me and doesn't take up any room/weight. It's one of those "not for climbing" aluminum ones, but maybe it'll come in handy rigging up a tarp.

As for climbing gear, I have zero training in that so I'm not even going to pretend I can climb anything, and with only 20 ft of paracord it's not really enough for anything anyway.

#198811 - 03/24/10 01:49 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Pretty good kit, really. Especially in the context that the OP stated, somewhere between in-pocket and in-pack.

Yes, I would add a mini-Bic. Or even a full-size Bic; the weight penalty is next to nothing. I don't like or trust kitchen matches, based on the gross failures I've seen over and over. Glad to see you have three kinds of tinder (or is that four?).

I'd suggest adding a small roll of super-sticky 1" first aid tape that will stick to skin and stay put. Apply to rub points before real trouble happens. Blisters are debilitating to both physical performance and morale.

I'd swap the paper clips for a handful of all-metal diaper pins (oversize safety pins, all metal, with a sliding lock). These are the maid of all work, even to the point of improvising clothing.

IMO stay with the Heatsheet you have (esp. if it's the 1-2 person size). It's much more versatile, and you can control moisture/ventilation. I don't like bivvy sacks, having first sweated and then frozen in one (not an AMK, but an impermeable bag is an impermeable bag).

Maybe add a dozen hard candies if you have room. Little dollops of energy to boost your morale and energy level just a bit. (Not suitable for bear country if you want the kit in your tent/shelter.)

As for the carabiner, it's perfect for a lanyard to keep any piece of essential gear (knife, multitool, kit bag, or even USB sticks) firmly attached to your person. Each bag or kit of mine has several, always.

A handkerchief is never a waste of space, if you have any left. And a 4x4 or two gives you a sterile layer between wound and improvised bandages.

A black trash bag (untreated), or hunk of black plastic can generate a surprising amount of meltwater. Not at -30C of course, but often there are microclimates that you can exploit. I've found places at -10C where I could melt water and dry my socks somewhat while wearing them.

Plus, no toilet paper? Really? Moss is okay, but spruce tips really crush morale in a hurry.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/24/10 01:58 AM)

#198818 - 03/24/10 02:55 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: dougwalkabout]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Okay, Bic mini added.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

IMO stay with the Heatsheet you have (esp. if it's the 1-2 person size). It's much more versatile, and you can control moisture/ventilation. I don't like bivvy sacks, having first sweated and then frozen in one (not an AMK, but an impermeable bag is an impermeable bag).

I have the 1 person one. I looked at the scale and the 1~2 person is only a foot longer but 50% more expensive, so I went with the cheaper one.

No room for toilet paper unfortunately, have enough room for small bits and pieces but that's about it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.