Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#199320 - 03/31/10 07:00 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Teslinhiker]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
In a survival situation, I would rather eat fish over a sugar laden snickers bar that only jacks up your insulin levels for a few minutes...

I read you, but there is more to it than just that....

1) When in trouble, you typically want that boost of energy. When you realize I'm lost, I'm totally exhausted and won't make it home tonight then sit down, relax, eat some of that snickers bar, have some water and THINK. It makes your head come together. Whatever course of action you decide you will be in a much better fashion to implement them.

2) Snickers contain nuts and stuff that will last longer than just the initial sugar rush.

3) You need some minimum carbohydrate intake to function. If the body reserves are depleted and you can't eat it, you really will feel miserable. More important, your ability to cope with the situation will be severely affected.

=========

The rant below not really apply to a short time survival episode, but not totally irrelevant.

I've never done this special force wilderness week thing and have never practiced going hungry for a week, so I try to find credible sources to back up my lack of experience. The Swedes has written an army manual for winter survival. In their survival courses they have tested different scenarios, and found that 500 kcal of carbohydrates each day was a minimum baseline for functioning for healthy young males. With no food what so ever, the dissyness, fatigue, reduced cognitive functions and vulnerability to freezing is so severe that it is very hard to function, particular in a cold environment. The body needs these 500 kcal to burn off the fat reserves. Without these 500 kcal, it starts to consume muscles to make carbs, which is a terrible and inefficient process that leaves you in a vulnerable state. Apparently, stay above the 500 kcal and you'll burn body fat much more efficient and the other symptoms are much reduced, particular from day 2 and onwards.

Cody Lundin writes something similar in his "98.6" book. I need to read that again, but gave it to my nephew...

And no, the issue of how to get those 500 kcal of carbs in a prolonged survival episode is not solved by a snickers bar.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (03/31/10 07:01 AM)

#199328 - 03/31/10 10:24 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: jzmtl]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
[quote=jzmtl Actually getting fish is hard enough for most people even with a dedicated tackle box, with just a hook and line that's typical in survival kits it's approaching impossible.

[quote=jzmtl It's just one of those staple things in survival kit that nobody uses, but still want it to be there. [/quote]

With proper rigging for the type of water and the expected type of fish, it's not that hard. You can run a trot line across a backwaters lagoon with a couple of treble hooks and a dug up crayfish (actually, I would eat the crayfish...they are excellent boiled or steamed in wet ferns) or some dead fish parts from the shoreline, you can fish in the little streams for the ever-present creek chub with a long stick, a 10 foot line (even one made from paracord strands), and a snelled hook baited with a bug, or you can spear a slightly larger fish with a frog spearhead lashed to an 8 foot pole. In this area, there's guys who backpack into the boundary waters just to fish. Why not keep the option open in a survival kit?

When you say "It's just one of those staple things in survival kit that nobody uses" Couldn't you say that about almost everything in the kit? You don't need it until you need it.

#199339 - 03/31/10 12:54 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: jzmtl]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Originally Posted By: sybert777
I would rather eat a trout than a tooth rotting sugar filled snickers for the possible aftermath of not being able to eat again!

Actually getting fish is hard enough for most people even with a dedicated tackle box, with just a hook and line that's typical in survival kits it's approaching impossible.

It's just one of those staple things in survival kit that nobody uses, but still want it to be there.

I have not been fishing since high school, but I often fished with nothing more than a cane pole, some line, hook, sinker, bobber, and a worm. I don't think you need anything elaborate to catch fish. But maybe the fish have gotten smarter in the intervening 30+ years.

Ironically, last night a shooting buddy and I were talking about fishing. Neither of us has done much in the way of fishing in a long while and we both were remembering the fun it was to fish with a cane pole and very limited tackle.

I do tend to think that a fishing kit is extraneous to a limited survival kit, although the line could be quite handy for many things, as might the other items in the "fishing" kit.

Bob

#199345 - 03/31/10 02:07 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: ILBob]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to start fishing, you may be in for a longer stay than anticipated. That being said....fishing gives you something to do. You may, or may NOT, catch anything-but, you are DOING something-it focuses your mind on the task at hand. In a survival situation, waiting to be rescued, you are, literally, waiting. Largely doing nothing. So, fishing can take you away from that. It isnt always the physical value of an item in there-sometimes, the benefit comes from the activity-not the end results.

#199402 - 04/01/10 02:35 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
snoman Offline

Agreed. Obviously, my sarcasm didn't show through. I think she places far too much faith in this "survival" kit. I fear some will carry a kit as basic as this and think they're prepared for the worst.

#199406 - 04/01/10 03:21 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I watched some of the video by peak survival, very shallow content, as if she's just reading what the label says, including the hypes (reflect 90% body heat!!!). They claim to run the ultimate survival course, but if their videos are any indication, spending a day reading the Internet would beats their course.

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

With proper rigging for the type of water and the expected type of fish, it's not that hard. You can run a trot line across a backwaters lagoon with a couple of treble hooks and a dug up crayfish (actually, I would eat the crayfish...they are excellent boiled or steamed in wet ferns) or some dead fish parts from the shoreline, you can fish in the little streams for the ever-present creek chub with a long stick, a 10 foot line (even one made from paracord strands), and a snelled hook baited with a bug, or you can spear a slightly larger fish with a frog spearhead lashed to an 8 foot pole. In this area, there's guys who backpack into the boundary waters just to fish. Why not keep the option open in a survival kit?

When you say "It's just one of those staple things in survival kit that nobody uses" Couldn't you say that about almost everything in the kit? You don't need it until you need it.

I said most people, your type doesn't count lol. How many people in the general population know how to do any of the things you said with just a bit of line and a few hooks?

As far as kit content is concerned, it's probably the least likely content to be used, too much limitation by location, time of year etc., and even then not everybody knows how to use one. But I suppose the same thing can be said for snares.

#199410 - 04/01/10 04:54 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: jzmtl]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Isn't Montreal surrounded by water?I would like to think that you stand a Very Good chance,of becoming a Fisherman of sorts,If only you gave it a try!Hook,line & sinker works very well Wayyy down here in, The land of No water!I've also Snared mourning doves with fishing line,without Too much of a hassle,& Yes,I did eat those delicious doves!Yes,All right here in The City of Los Angeles!

#199421 - 04/01/10 10:53 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Richlacal]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Anyone else also notice no whistle? Dump the saw-they are largely useless. Add a whistle. As for the knife-I used to put on in my PSK, but, as I almost always have 2 on me, I really didnt see the need. Between a pocketknife & a Leatherman, I dont see the need for a 3rd one in a kit. But, thats me. If you dont normally carry a knife outdoors, then, yes, throw one in your kit. IMHO, your kit should hold stuff for shelter, fire, signaling, and water. Everything else to me is a bonus.

#199453 - 04/01/10 06:52 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Richlacal]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Isn't Montreal surrounded by water?I would like to think that you stand a Very Good chance,of becoming a Fisherman of sorts,If only you gave it a try!Hook,line & sinker works very well Wayyy down here in, The land of No water!I've also Snared mourning doves with fishing line,without Too much of a hassle,& Yes,I did eat those delicious doves!Yes,All right here in The City of Los Angeles!

Actually not many place to fish despite that. Many waterfront are blocked for various reasons, i.e. private property, or generally inaccessible.

#199489 - 04/02/10 04:10 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: jzmtl]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm sorry to hear that.I thought I had it rough,but I did have to Trespass a wee little bit,to access a Freshwater fishing hole/pond/small lake.We have Unlimited Salt-water access though!You are welcome to come fishing here,Anytime!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.