Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#199259 - 03/30/10 06:36 PM Survival Kit
snoman Offline

I thought ya'all might like this video, she certainly has all the bases covered.

Survival Kit: The perfect lightweight survival kit

#199265 - 03/30/10 08:06 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: snoman]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Outstanding, easy on the eyes too. whistle

She seems like she has a decent head on her shoulders.
I have an extra.

#199267 - 03/30/10 08:30 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: snoman]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Sorry, not impressed - but I must say the video was direct and to the point. Cute, too... smile

Here's what I did not like:
====

No shelter???? Not even the infamous space blanket? (I'm no big fan of them, but they are positively much better than nothing and they pack very small). Or some plastic leaf bags.

No knife??? I guess the wire saw will do its cutting so you can build shelter, get fire wood and so on, presuming you don't break it in the process. But I would sure miss a knife

She's got water tablets, but what does she keep the water in? You need some container while the water tablets do their stuff. A plastic bag (or if you can do the woodo-trick of filling water in it you could pack a XXL non-lubricated condom).

We don't know if she carries a pack or something. Usually most people will have some bag or pack for a water bottle, their lunch and some extra clothing. We don't know what's in her bag of if she actually has one. For all we know she carries a bag with for example, say an emergency bivy bag, a knife and a stainless steel water bottle. Carrying those doesn't exactly break your back.

Oh, and some cordage, duct tape and a LED light would be great.

Why does everyone include fishing and snaring gear in their kit? Food is not that high on your priorites. I see the point that both the snare and fishing kit essentially are small collection of multi-use items (cordage and sharp metal objects), which is good. But why the perpetual fuss about fishing and snaring? Shelter, water and fire are usually much more important. Stick some snickers bars in your pack so you'll have an energy boost. If you can obtain food without much effort then eat it, but don't waste energy trying to feed yourself.

EDIT: I see she has a lot of videos that covers the other bases. The video you linked to - the survival tin - does not cover all bases, not as a stand-alone kit. Viewed alone, this particular video is misleading, IMO.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (03/30/10 08:42 PM)

#199279 - 03/30/10 10:22 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Agreed.

I watched some more of her videos.

Observations
IMO
She's nervous and self-conscious while filming.
She quotes Ray Mears as a source more than once.
She does not appear to be reading a script, but she is recalling info from I would assume a checklist.
Pretty face, but not inspired. Enjoys the subject, but is not avid or really well researched, surface understanding only.

I have an extra.

#199282 - 03/30/10 10:48 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Why does everyone include fishing and snaring gear in their kit? Food is not that high on your priorites. I see the point that both the snare and fishing kit essentially are small collection of multi-use items (cordage and sharp metal objects), which is good. But why the perpetual fuss about fishing and snaring? Shelter, water and fire are usually much more important. Stick some snickers bars in your pack so you'll have an energy boost. If you can obtain food without much effort then eat it, but don't waste energy trying to feed yourself.

I carry fishing line and a few lures in my PSK. In my AO, we have some of the best lake and river fishing in the world. Many times, a quick poor man's fishing pole (cleaned up tree branch) and a lure or dug up worm on the end of line will yield a trout or 2 for dinner. In a survival situation, I would rather eat fish over a sugar laden snickers bar that only jacks up your insulin levels for a few minutes...

As for the snare wire, I carry it for many other uses other then snare material.

John Lubbock

#199283 - 03/30/10 11:09 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Teslinhiker]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I personally carry fishing and snaring equipment in my PSK (scroll down to see mine!) I would rather eat a trout than a tooth rotting sugar filled snickers for the possible aftermath of not being able to eat again! I would still carry a fishing kit because you never know how long you will have to go without food, plants or vitamins! I am currently working on my BOB so keep a lookout for a post for my BOB because i need some real weight reductions!

#199288 - 03/30/10 11:51 PM Re: Survival Kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

You are right, but the preference may be a regional thing I suppose. I carry fish hooks, line, a weighted foam bobber, a frog spear head and light snare wire. The uses for light wire are endless, so no explanation needed I'm sure. As to fishing gear, fish abound and are free for the taking where I go, and the equipment to get them is small and light, and it does not displace anything important in my kit. One of the best survival strategies in most situations is to sit tight, signal, and wait. So.....why not go fishing and eat like Robin Hood's Merry Men while you wait?

#199297 - 03/31/10 12:43 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Not a bad start.

Seeing as that she seems to have another video about knives one has to assume she has one and it just didn't get it into the first video.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (broken CD?) I would save $13 of the $15 and toss in a mini-Bic. You can get a decent pen knife for the $10 and spend the other $3 on a space blanket. No, they aren't great insulation applied directly to skin but they cut the wind well and can make a big difference if you fall in and suddenly need extra protection. Cheap, light, compact. Moderately effective.

I think the main thing, and value of this video, is that she is thinking about what she can carry to help her in a pinch. The actual contents are far more illustrative than an actual recommendation.

I personally think that fishing and snare kits are a waste of time and space. Certainly if you hike near a place where a simple fishing kit will get you fish in a few minutes, or where snares are a sure thing then, it would be silly not to carry the necessary equipment. But, unfortunately, most of us don't live, stay, or travel through such areas. It is also interesting to note the numbers of people who have no experience with snares or fishing who carry them expecting to learn on the fly.

#199303 - 03/31/10 02:14 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: Art_in_FL]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

I personally think that fishing and snare kits are a waste of time and space. Certainly if you hike near a place where a simple fishing kit will get you fish in a few minutes, or where snares are a sure thing then, it would be silly not to carry the necessary equipment. But, unfortunately, most of us don't live, stay, or travel through such areas. It is also interesting to note the numbers of people who have no experience with snares or fishing who carry them expecting to learn on the fly.

One of the best books I have seen on snares was written in 1910. Setting snares in a survival situation would be very, very low on my list of priorities as effective snare setting requires a lot of practice which is not practical as it is against the law in most places. The book can be downloaded as a PDF file here . Note that is a 20 MB download and maybe not suitable for dialup connections.

On the other hand, anyone can fish with very little equipment and experience. When I go out hiking and know that I will be passing by a lake or stream (and time permitting), this similar 6' Shimano collapsible rod is in the backpack along with a small assortment of lures, hooks, weights etc.

John Lubbock

#199306 - 03/31/10 02:37 AM Re: Survival Kit [Re: sybert777]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: sybert777
I would rather eat a trout than a tooth rotting sugar filled snickers for the possible aftermath of not being able to eat again!

Actually getting fish is hard enough for most people even with a dedicated tackle box, with just a hook and line that's typical in survival kits it's approaching impossible.

It's just one of those staple things in survival kit that nobody uses, but still want it to be there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 267 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.