Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199246 - 03/30/10 01:50 PM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: Dagny]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
If people really were the connoisseurs they think they are, these frauds would be impossible. In fact you can change the label on a lot of things and people don't notice.
In the UK we have a very popular tv program 'Masterchef'. Last week 5 competitors were asked to identify the ingredients in a meal of spicy pork. They got most of the spices and sauces right, but two of them identifed the meat as lamb and one as duck.
And these were excellent amateur chefs aiming to become professionals.
The Sock

#199252 - 03/30/10 03:53 PM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: Dagny]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: Dagny
"Food fraud" has been documented in fruit juice, olive oil, spices, vinegar, wine, spirits and maple syrup

It's been a joke in the Eu for years that Italy manages to export more tomatoes and olive oil than it grows - somehow it has a negative consumption!

There is a $LOTS business for anybody that can make a fast/cheap reliable system that can tell 'extra virgin' ie cold pressed olive oil from the mechanical stuff.

The restaurant law is the usual 'government', the average guy is fat because they eat too many hamburgers so the response is to cut the amount of cream allowed in a high end restaurant meal.

#199258 - 03/30/10 06:32 PM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: oldsoldier]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Do we REALLY need more laws telling us what we can, or cannot do though? Cant people take responsibility for their own actions?

According to my own experience and observation, nope.

#199271 - 03/30/10 09:15 PM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: Erik_B]
LED Offline
Veteran

Most people's diets and lifestyles are so harmful that adding or subtracting a little salt will make little difference to their overall health. For example, some people I know are overly concerned with whether their vegetables are organic or not, completely missing the fact that they live in one of the world's most polluted cities. IMO, getting caught up in the details makes one lose sight of the overall picture. Oh, and enacting more laws is surely not the way to advocate personal responsibility.

#199277 - 03/30/10 10:18 PM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: LED]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: LED
Most people's diets and lifestyles are so harmful that adding or subtracting a little salt will make little difference to their overall health. For example, some people I know are overly concerned with whether their vegetables are organic or not, completely missing the fact that they live in one of the world's most polluted cities. IMO, getting caught up in the details makes one lose sight of the overall picture. Oh, and enacting more laws is surely not the way to advocate personal responsibility.

And here is written the truth!
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#199278 - 03/30/10 10:22 PM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: Compugeek]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Not all proposed laws are intended to become actual law. According to the Ortiz office the proposed law was intended to raise awareness of salt use and the health hazards.

Then again not all proposals that are not intended to become law get winnowed out. A friend pointed out that there is a law passed making it illegal to fish from the back of a giraffe. It was inserted to see if anyone was paying attention but didn't get removed and was passed as part of a larger state bill.

It also has to be noted that many cooks lean on using salt in part because they have little idea of how to build in flavor by use of spices, herbs, and creative cooking. Some small amount of salt is needed but it is easy to use salt as a crutch to cover for a lack of culinary skills.

#199316 - 03/31/10 05:35 AM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: Art_in_FL]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
How about this one.
If you are in Quebec Canada all business signs have to be in French. If there are any English words the letters can only be half the size of the letters in the French words.

Also if you are a teenager in Fort Qu"Appelle Saskatchewan you are committing a crime if you walk around town with your shoe laces undone.

#199317 - 03/31/10 05:40 AM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: TheSock]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: TheSock
It's the 'let me exercise my right to injure my body and then hand you my hospital bill' bit I care about.
The Sock

So basically you want to ban something you don't like, would you still be so righteous when they want to ban something you like but they don't?

Originally Posted By: scafool
How about this one.
If you are in Quebec Canada all business signs have to be in French. If there are any English words the letters can only be half the size of the letters in the French words.

Welcome to my life.

Here's something else, in French schools, student are not allowed to speak English outside actual English class, or they will be punished by detention.

I was absolutely shocked when I confirmed this with a woman whose kid is in school.

#199318 - 03/31/10 06:14 AM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: Art_in_FL]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Then again not all proposals that are not intended to become law get winnowed out. A friend pointed out that there is a law passed making it illegal to fish from the back of a giraffe. It was inserted to see if anyone was paying attention but didn't get removed and was passed as part of a larger state bill.

Reminds me of a stunt we did to make a mock point about the representativeness of our student democracy: Out of 6.000 students, a group of 15 was plenty enough to hijack an all-students meeting and dictate that the student's board would implement the University as gravitational free area. Yup, the student's board was now required to suspend the law of gravitation at campus ...

This story could logically continue to comments about direct democracy in, say, California and Switzerland, but that would be political.

#199321 - 03/31/10 07:22 AM Re: Legislative LULZ(serious discussion discouraged) [Re: MostlyHarmless]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
>So basically you want to ban something you don't like, would >you still be so righteous when they want to ban something you >like but they don't?

My disliking anyones action is irrelevant. Read what I wrote. If I simply don't like their activity, that should be my problem not theirs
But living unhealthily and then handing me the bill is an activity I'd like to have an input on.
And YES if I am doing something other people are going to have to pay for; (like those we routinely criticise for calling out search and rescue due to their being unprepared).
Then the payer should have a say in my actions.
And as I said; I can see the merits of giving people the choice. It's not a black and white case.
The Sock

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.