Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#199253 - 03/30/10 04:13 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: philip]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just keep in mind that 90% of iPhone "applications" have 0% functionality without the network.

#199310 - 03/31/10 03:34 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Alex]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Actually nearly every iPhone application I have works just fine without a network connection.

Having said that there are some (OK, lots and lots) that are designed to use the internet and all of those do require a network connection for full (or in some cases, any) functionality. Similar functionality from any device would also require a network connection of some sort. This list would include the streaming audio stuff like scanners or music, and anything that needs to pull stuff from a central data source, like weather apps or airline flight tracking. Lots of cool stuff but hardly 90% of the available iPhone apps.

- Eric

#199362 - 03/31/10 05:12 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Eric]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Okay, 90% of really useful applications? smile

#199382 - 04/01/10 12:17 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Alex]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

What the heck, I'll bite. Its been a long rough day and I need to play. smile

really useful apps that don't need a constant network connection. Lets start with the built ins.
Calendar, Contacts list, iPod (you know the music and video player), clock (doubles as alarm clock, stop watch, count down timer), camera, notes, compass (well only so-so in the usefulness area)

Then we have some really nice apps that I use all the time.

Classic RPN Calculator - get the HP 11, HP 12, HP15 RPN goodness on you iPhone
On the Clock - helps me keep track of how much time on spend on things
Todo - todo list, can sync to computer but doesn't need to
Date wheel - quick start/end/duration calculator
Countdown - counts time to/from a specific date (say your anniversary!)
Level - kind of hokey but works well for hanging pictures smile
BC reader - "scan" in business cards and add them to your contacts (yes I am lazy)
Flashlight - makes the iphone an underpowered flashlight - better than no light at all

Stanza - Ebook reader - I have over 250 FREE ebooks on my iphone, Mostly Sci-Fi but some good how-to / survival / first aid stuff also Several other ebook readers available also (kindle, Barnes n Noble)

GoSkyWatch - Planetarium - great for identifying stars/constellations etc. Works better with network (more precise location info) but good enough without.
resistorCC - display resistor values based on color codes - I hate memorizing that.
iSeismo - 3 axis accelerometer - very useful if you need this sort of thing
SPL Meter - sound decibel meter - works pretty well and has come in pretty handy several times.
RTA lite - real time audio frequency analyzer
Tuner - musical instrument tuner w/visual readout and spectrum readout
A couple of fitness apps - they have workout routines and track your progress - some do work a lot better with the network but all of them work well enough without.
proloquo2go - augmented communication application
iPrompts - PECs derived scheduling/prompting application
Several other educational apps (sign language, flashcards, tracing)
Emergency Aid - preparedness app
Several photo/video editing apps.

oh yeah, there are also lots and lots of time wasters (I think they call them games smile )

I also have several really nice network dependent apps and use them a lot but I have found iPhone/iPod touch can be very useful without a network connection. Of course like always, your mileage may vary.

- Eric

#199383 - 04/01/10 12:43 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Eric]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Thanks! wink
At least I see now that I have most of these on my Palm TH55E. The accelerometers based tools looks very interesting though...

But most importantly, I can create my own applications for my Palm PDA, and that I can do that right on my Palm (Onboard C).

#199431 - 04/01/10 02:36 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: 7point82]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: 7point82

(Before I get lectured/flamed too bad. eek I don't plan on doing banking from my phone in the future since I seriously doubt that's it's very secure but it's good to know that it's possible in a pinch.)

Banking from your phone is FAR more secure than banking from your desktop. I know this based on the fact that one of my key clients is one of the top 10 financial services firms in the USA and we developed their iPhone app!

#199455 - 04/01/10 07:45 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And far more secure than banking by mail, as in paper bill/check.

#199467 - 04/01/10 11:02 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Alex]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

I used a Palm M505 and a Palm Tx before getting the iPhone so a lot of my "app" habits and preferences were set before I had the ability to be online nearly all the time. I never did get around to programming on the Palm, it was always easier to find something close enough to what I wanted. Of course my claim to fame in software development is that I can make any higher level language read like FORTRAN. smile

It is possible to write your own apps for the iPhone type devices but if you want to distribute the apps you would have to go through the Apple App store (or go the jail break route). I don't know of any method for non-jail broken iPhones to write and compile (or interpret) software locally on the device. With my software skills that would be a non issue anyway. smile

- Eric

#199474 - 04/02/10 12:05 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Eric]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Eric. What about the Palm's handwriting feature? Do you miss it on the iPhone's capacitive screen?

On a side note. I'll never bite on iPhone or any MAC product, just because their politics - "Apple knows better what you need and what you don't" - drives me nuts.

Edited by Alex (04/02/10 12:12 AM)

#199480 - 04/02/10 01:45 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Alex]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of the same reasons I'll never go with an apple product either.
I've downloaded the Android SKD hoping one of these days I'll get a chance to play with it and see what I can write.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.