Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176321 - 07/14/09 02:01 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: aloha]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I use my BB built in maps to find where the heck I need to go. (Not the GPS). Other than that I'd love to here what "new" things I could add to it.

#176330 - 07/14/09 02:36 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: 7point82]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: 7point82
I'm a recent convert to a smart phone for personal use. (BlackBerry in my case.) I haven't run into many particularly fantastic applications yet but I have noticed that some web sites are FAR more smart phone friendly than others. Would it be too much of a hijack to ask folks to list mobile friendly web sites too?

The National Weather Service has a great mobile site with (relatively) high res radar loops and the like.

For web sites that aren't specifically designed for mobiles I find "Bolt" browser to be a great asset. Between the BBrowser and Bolt I feel that I have things covered pretty well.

I just got a BB Curve, this fight with customs pushed me over the edge to need that immediate email capability, so new to this whole SmartPhone stuff myself. Thanks for the Bolt suggestion, that's much better than the default browser.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#176338 - 07/14/09 08:16 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Hey Blast, I was taking a look in the iTunes apps store and see an app called zombie survival guide. Thought you might be interested.

#176343 - 07/14/09 11:52 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: aloha]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Hey Blast, I was taking a look in the iTunes apps store and see an app called zombie survival guide.

Cool! But first I need an iPhone...

-Blast, somewhat behind the curve
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176350 - 07/14/09 01:31 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Blast]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
Management here has gone all ga-ga over the new iPhone compass feature.
We also just spent 700 bucks on a new Crackberry that has true GPS capability. The guy who has it spends a considerable amount of time in the field. Got it activated, tested, etc. Seems to have worked well.
First place he went...deep in SE Alaska...guess what. No Service.
I laughed so hard it hurt.

Edited by DannyL (07/14/09 01:32 PM)

#176366 - 07/14/09 03:55 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: DannyL]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Doug, another browser you may want to look into is Opera. Thats what I use...it works great...MUCH better than the standard BB Browser. My brother uses Bolt & lovesd it-nothing wrong with it, I just found Opera to work better for my needs.
I have used the BB maps extensively. Between that & the GPS, you cannot really go wrong.

#176369 - 07/14/09 04:34 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
I just got a BB Curve, this fight with customs pushed me over the edge to need that immediate email capability, so new to this whole SmartPhone stuff myself. Thanks for the Bolt suggestion, that's much better than the default browser.

Glad to hear that Bolt is working for you. I also tried Opera Mini (and I still have it installed ... just in case) but I seem to use BBrowser or Bolt the vast majority of the time. I suppose much of the decision is subjective.

For those so inclined the YouVersion Bible application is kind of interesting. Makes it much easier for me to keep reading the Bible in my schedule without actually lugging around my Bible. Hanging around this bunch seems to keep my pockets very full. wink

#176379 - 07/14/09 06:30 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: 7point82]
Modacad Offline
Stranger

Loc: NJ USA
I use Topo Maps, Motion X GPS, The Weather Channel app, pUniverse (Astronomy stuff), Multi Level (hanging pictures and leveling the RV), Tides, Geocaching, Emer. Radio (scanner in your pocket), Installed Map program, and Google Earth...

#176387 - 07/14/09 07:06 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Blast]
Alan_Romania Offline
Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
streaming public and emergency radio apps. The emergency radio app is like having a mini-scanner in the palm of your hand.

Now that sounds awesome. More info (name, available cities, etc)?

-Blast

"Emer. Radio" is the one I have, it works well enough. My only complaint is it jumbles our local radio channels together on one feed.

I have a couple reference applications on my iPhone, "HazRef" and "Emergency Response Guide". I also have a PDF reader and a bunch of reference documents on my iPhone, using "Air Sharing" my iPhone can also be used as a WiFi file sharing server allowing me to access my documents from any computer on a wifi network.

"GPS Formats" not only allows you to convert a GPS coordinate to another format, but it also allows you to email your current location.

#176393 - 07/14/09 08:22 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Alan_Romania]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Please don't tell me about any other great app's for the SmartPhone/IPhone. I cannot really afford new toys now. If you make it sound much better I will have to abuse some part of what I laughingly call my budget.

Really, I have been watching a friend use his IPhone and I am pretty conviced I need to get one for all the above plus many other reasons.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.