Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198945 - 03/25/10 09:51 PM Too civilized for our own good?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Pondering whether where I live is too civilized.

No open fires, few sticks or rocks to throw and illegal to do so, wildlife seen mostly as roadkill, few fisherpeople, fewer hunters, getting up early means you are going golfing or trying to beat the traffic, no knives, sweating to be avoided, polluted air, ground, and water, and on and on.

Maybe just a low moment. Maybe time to move.

#198946 - 03/25/10 10:10 PM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: dweste]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
These are questions all of us mull over from time to time. I understand the possible low moment. I am in the middle of one myself. Chin up ol' stick (as our British friends would say; I think).

#198948 - 03/25/10 10:51 PM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: MoBOB]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Could be worse.

I have to get up an half hour before I go to bed; all I have to eat is a lump of dried poison; and then off to my job of licking the road clean, with my tongue. (w/ apologies to Monty Python)

Failing that, remember, there are few people who can keep their heads about them when SHTF. If something truly bad does happen, these are the people who will be able to stay alive. True, at the current time you may work for a geek, but of what value is "Halo" when things truly go into the crapper. Also, their pasty white skin makes them targets, even at night.

Sounds like you need a trip to some nearby area that isn't populated by fruits and nuts.

#198950 - 03/25/10 11:22 PM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I can understand what your thoughts are. I share some of the same and wish for a more slower and simpler life. Currently this wish is on hold for a few more years so I temper my wishes by spending as much time outdoors as I can.

I like to get out for at least one day hike per weekend and one major weekend trip/hike/camp every 4- 6 weeks, especially this time of year.

My family and friends recognize my need for this and support me 100% and many are envious that I make the time to enjoy my quieter life out on the trail and or around a wilderness camp.

It has become common conversation on Monday mornings at work as to "Where did Teslinhiker get out to the mountains over the weekend". Through conversation and photos, I also use these opportunities to educate my family and coworkers on many issues that affect our quickly vanishing wilderness.

By partaking in these weekend events, it helps to keep my thoughts in check and to remind me that one day soon, this type of simpler life will be possible on a daily basis.

When people ask me what draws me to the trail, my reply is simple: I've always wanted to see the frontier, before it's gone."

Anyone guess where that quote is from?

John Lubbock

#198956 - 03/26/10 01:09 AM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

When people ask me what draws me to the trail, my reply is simple: I've always wanted to see the frontier, before it's gone."

Anyone guess where that quote is from?

Although I would not resort to eating mice in their own gravy, nor would I dance with a wolf, I too long for the frontier or what remains of it. My annual "Ghost In The Woods" solo camp is my remedy for the feeling you describe, and that I too feel. My soul exists in the forest but my body works in the bowels of the cities. They reconnect with great energy whenever I return to the woods and I do so often, in big ways and in small ways. This forum is one of the small ways.....still too far away to connect, but close enough to hear the song in the mists.

#198960 - 03/26/10 02:00 AM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

Although I would not resort to eating mice in their own gravy, nor would I dance with a wolf, I too long for the frontier or what remains of it. My annual "Ghost In The Woods" solo camp is my remedy for the feeling you describe, and that I too feel. My soul exists in the forest but my body works in the bowels of the cities. They reconnect with great energy whenever I return to the woods and I do so often, in big ways and in small ways. This forum is one of the small ways.....still too far away to connect, but close enough to hear the song in the mists.

Very eloquent words Byrd_Huntr.

I am very fortunate as this is the frontier I get to see....before it's gone.

John Lubbock

#198965 - 03/26/10 02:43 AM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well said, Byrd_Huntr. Well said.

Teslinhiker, your mountains have a way of dispassionately scouring away those who will not listen to the wisdom they offer. They will outlast us all. I confess that mountains are more of a church to me now than the traditions I grew up with.

But I am cautious about declaring the end of frontiers. They are never really conquered because they are not physical places. The frontiers that matter are between our ears; wild country only gives us the contrast we need to see and feel them in a tangible way. And so, to conquer and reorient ourselves.

#198971 - 03/26/10 04:19 AM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Pondering whether where I live is too civilized."

Not civilized, just worn out. A truly civilized population wouldn't destroy everything it touches.

"I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man. It's us." (Konrad Lorenz)

OTOH, a documentary of real-life Deliverance could be filmed where I live.

Sue

#198972 - 03/26/10 06:13 AM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

Shoot, you're a lot closer to Yosemite or any number of great state/national parks than most people. Its real easy to get lost in Yosemite for a week or so. (in a good way of course) Exchanging your concrete and steel vista for an alpine view might help.

#198981 - 03/26/10 10:59 AM Re: Too civilized for our own good? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Doug:

You are correct, the mountains will outlast us all. What they will look like in 60 years is what is at stake.

The frontier as we know it is being swallowed up in the name of development. THe screech of an eagle soaring over the forest is being replaced with the nosy exhaust of a chainsaw. The night stars and northern lights are being washed out by the glow of the towns that become cities. The sound of a woodpecker tapping on a tree is being replaced by the sound of hammers building a house. The quiet sound of water flowing down the river is being drowned out by the sound of lawn sprinkers in the subdivisions on the mountain side. The sightings of moose and other widlife are being replaced by yet another cattle herd chewing up the grasslands.

When this frontier is gone, where do we go to find our place of peace and solitude?

“If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.”

Henry David Thoreau

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.