Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198932 - 03/25/10 06:42 PM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: Paragon]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Kudos on a very well thought-out kit and an amazing packing job! How much does it weigh? For the urban side you may want to consider cash, coin, cell phone charger and copies of your driver's license, medical insurance card, passport, and a spare credit card. On the first-aid side, how about some oil of cloves and Dent-Temp adhesive/filler.

#198938 - 03/25/10 08:53 PM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: Paragon]
LED Offline
Veteran

Very nice. Excellent idea on the fedex tyvek envelope. Those things are very tough.

#198940 - 03/25/10 09:05 PM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: LED]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
After looking through it a few times and comparing I have to say nice.

I likely have more stuff in my pockets than you carry but overall our small packs are about the same.
Minor brand differences.
I suppose the biggest difference is that this small pack of yours goes inside my daypack and that carries my spare jacket and windpants as well.

#198941 - 03/25/10 09:20 PM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: scafool]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Hey Sybert, Siebert...Close enough! I will get one of the "monoscopes" because they look cool!

Edited by sybert777 (03/25/10 09:20 PM)

#198949 - 03/25/10 11:21 PM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: Paragon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Paragon, I've only got three less than glowing points with you kit:

Not a fan of flares. I live in the woods. smile

Not a fan of chem kit. Personal call.

Wish I could have put two of my three votes on you over at ZS. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#198951 - 03/26/10 12:00 AM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: ironraven]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Such an awesome, well thought out kit.

Thanks for sharing.

#198954 - 03/26/10 12:42 AM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: fooman]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: BorkBorkBork
Could you say something about the sum total of the kit in dollars? and the weight please.

I hadn't really ever added it up before because it was mainly just extra stuff that I had from other kits, as well as some spares. I just ran the numbers for you and it comes up to about $550 -- somewhat more than I would have guessed until you asked. All the gear is pretty high quality, so you could probably duplicate it for less if you were willing to cut some corners.

The weight is just over 3lbs (1.5kg), so about the same as a Nalgene bottle with a litre of water.

Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
Love your kit!! Any idea where I can buy the bag?

My wife and I had dropped off some stuff at our local Goodwill store a few years ago and I found a couple of them there. They had clearly never been used, and were marked $0.49 each or something silly like that. If you have a thrift store nearby, you might try looking there, as they also had several other interesting bags and pouches.

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
When I was looking at water filtration for my own use last year, I felt that the Aquamira Frontier didn't filter small enough particles to protect against Giardia and some other threats. I would rather just have more of the Micropur MP1 Water Purifier Tablets and perhaps a second Aqua Pouch so I could travel with more water.

There is actually a second 1L water bag added inside the Ritter PSP, and Aquamira claims the “Frontier is tested and certified to filter out >99.9% of Cryptosporidium and Giardia”.

Originally Posted By: ToddG
Where on earth did you get the episcope?
I must have one!

Refer to the links that BorkBorkBork graciously added. Mine is one of the original German varieties from Haverhills, although I’m sure most are similar.

Originally Posted By: Lono
Just a thought, all the smaller items stored inside the titanium pan, you might bag those in a gallon freezer ziploc, to make it easier to empty it out without losing stuff.

That’s a very good suggestion – thanks!

Originally Posted By: acroplis5
Kudos on a very well thought-out kit and an amazing packing job! How much does it weigh? For the urban side you may want to consider cash, coin, cell phone charger and copies of your driver's license, medical insurance card, passport, and a spare credit card. On the first-aid side, how about some oil of cloves and Dent-Temp adhesive/filler.

The kit weighs 3lbs 5 oz.

Although I’d never be able to get a cell phone charger in there, everything else you mentioned would make useful additions - thanks!

Thanks once again to everyone for all the useful suggestions and feedback.

Jim

#198966 - 03/26/10 03:04 AM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: Paragon]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: Paragon

Aquamira claims the “Frontier is tested and certified to filter out >99.9% of Cryptosporidium and Giardia”.

Yes, but those are relatively large in size. IIRC, the Frontier had a filter size of around 3 microns which is much larger than other filters and doesn't catch much bacteria at all. For example, Cryto spores are around 5-6 microns in size. Bacteria are under a micron in size.

For comparison, Sweetwater, Katydyn, PUR and MSR filters all have filters rated to around 0.3 microns.

To quote Aquamira: [the Frontier] ... is not certified to remove >99.9999% of bacteria and >99.99% of virus required by the US EPA water purifier standard.[my bold and underline]

To quote Doug Ritter: Avoid, also, straw style filters through which you literally suck the water. Though the concept is appealing, especially for weight conscious survival use, they don't filter very well in the first place and clog very quickly and are then useless. In fact, the EPA forced them off the market a while back, but you still see them around, or you may even have one, in which case, you ought to ditch it.

#198976 - 03/26/10 08:44 AM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: Yuccahead]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
To quote Aquamira...

To quote Doug Ritter...

Thanks for the additional information on the Frontier filter -- I hadn't seen that mentioned before, so I'll look into it further this weekend.

Originally Posted By: IronRaven
Paragon, I've only got three less than glowing points with you kit:

Not a fan of flares. I live in the woods.

Not a fan of chem kit. Personal call.

Wish I could have put two of my three votes on you over at ZS.

Yeah, I'd really have to find myself in quite a bind before I'd consider launching pyrotechnics in a forest.

I figured the potassium permanganate/glycerin would draw some comments, although I've carried that combination in various kits for several years without any issues. The containers that I use are very robust and of high quality, so I have no real concerns that they'll leak (although they are packed in separate compartments of the kit just to be safe).

Turns out I could have used a couple of extra votes, so thanks for the nice comment. I did actually use one of my votes for your kit...

Jim

#199015 - 03/26/10 08:41 PM Re: Paragon’s Wilderness Ditch Kit (56k Warning!) [Re: BorkBorkBork]
ToddG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA
Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.