Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#198755 - 03/23/10 03:06 PM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Sounds like someone was looking out for the company's interest. Look at it from their point of view, 2 employees treated and transported a patient that didn't need to be. On company time.

You set your company up for a lawsuit if things had gone wrong.

It's always nice to help other people out but if the patient needed to be transported then you should have called for an ambulance. You treated and transported someone in a private vehicle against her expressed wishes, you could have been charged with a crime. Who's going to pay her hospital bill? Who would the patient blame if she'd been further injured due to you getting involved? Simple answer, whoever's got more money, you or the company.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#198812 - 03/24/10 01:53 AM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Craig, the problem with you is that you are totally professional and you always seem to be working with large bunches of total idiots.

It certainly would be a beautiful thing if Miz Boss was the next one to be injured! Step over her and get on with your own work.

This total, all-pervading fear of lawsuits is getting unbelievably annoying! Don't help an injured person, don't try to get someone out of a burning car, don't try to catch hold of a child being washed downstream, just stand around and explain to everyone how you just didn't have the cajones to do what needed to be done, and use the fear of a lawsuit as the excuse. (Sneering? I'm sneering? ME??? -- looking in mirror --- oh, yeah, well, I guess I am...)

No matter what your idiot associates did, didn't do, or said, thank you for doing what you did. We need more people like you and far fewer of the gutless wonders who make up the majority of our population.

Sue

#198826 - 03/24/10 03:46 AM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: Desperado]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Once I went to the really nice metal box, I found it EMPTY except
> for a few Band-Aids!!

I've never seen a wall-mounted first aid box that wasn't as you describe it.

#198842 - 03/24/10 11:54 AM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: philip]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I actually have seen a Good not Great but good Wall mounted FAK in school! It ghad stuff that the school is supposed to handle, not like sutures or anything but it was fairly sufficient for its purpose!

#198843 - 03/24/10 11:59 AM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: JohnE]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: JohnE
Sounds like someone was looking out for the company's interest. Look at it from their point of view, 2 employees treated and transported a patient that didn't need to be. On company time.

You set your company up for a lawsuit if things had gone wrong.

It's always nice to help other people out but if the patient needed to be transported then you should have called for an ambulance. You treated and transported someone in a private vehicle against her expressed wishes, you could have been charged with a crime. Who's going to pay her hospital bill? Who would the patient blame if she'd been further injured due to you getting involved? Simple answer, whoever's got more money, you or the company.
From the OP:
Originally Posted By: Desperado
. . .I immobilized the leg with a SAM splint and transported her to the local ER. (She didn’t want the ambulance ride, and really didn’t need it.). . .
As I read the OP's quote, it seems the patient didn't want an ambulance ride; it didn't say she didn't want to be transported someone in a private vehicle against her expressed wishes.

Sounds to me like everything worked well. Fortunately, Texas isn't in Southern California.

#198860 - 03/24/10 03:10 PM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: Russ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I misread the original post, I apologise for my inaccuracy about transporting someone against their wishes.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#198887 - 03/24/10 08:51 PM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: JohnE]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And if they DON'T want to be transported, just thump them on the head to quiet them down a bit. When you drop them off at the ER, be sure to mention the 'head injury'. ;-)

Sue

#198894 - 03/24/10 11:20 PM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: Susan]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The last person I transported that did not go willingly had already had several "thumps" to the head and other various regions of their body. But that was as a military cop

RIP OBG

#198903 - 03/25/10 12:39 AM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: philip]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: philip
> Once I went to the really nice metal box, I found it EMPTY except
> for a few Band-Aids!!

I've never seen a wall-mounted first aid box that wasn't as you describe it.

I have - the first few minutes after I finished restocking it
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#198916 - 03/25/10 11:48 AM Re: Preparedness To The Rescue [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
So if someone is dying you are to just stand there and watch? Guess who could get charged with murder?

I doubt anyone would be charged with murder. I mean, he didn't actively contribute the the cause of death.

Failure to act or something along those lines, sure.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.