Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#198866 - 03/24/10 04:25 PM Re: New SteriPEN Adventurer Opti [Re: oldsoldier]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
That being said, provided I filter out all the muck & stuff with a bandana, all I would need to do is simply plop this into a bottle, and it will sterilize it?

the business end needs to be submerged in clear water for the appropriate time, depending upon how much water you are treating. 90 secs for 1 L.

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Does it work well for all types of waterborne diseases (lets say whats common in the US in the woods-nothing exotic like in 3rd world countries)?

yep. go here: steripen for a list of the uglies that this kills. if you look around the website you'll see numerous studies confirming it has a high kill rate.

i did find out the hard way that it doesn't work in the cold if the batteries are cold - they do recommend keeping the batteries warm if the
ambient temp = < 32F. i just didn't realize the temp was that cold at the time. yosemite @ 0600 in october. was hiking and was very comfortable!

Edited by bsmith (03/24/10 04:29 PM)

#198877 - 03/24/10 06:33 PM Re: New SteriPEN Adventurer Opti [Re: bsmith]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

jzmtl, sorry about the delay get back, I always use the nonchargeable so I do get less dosages, I haven't tried the disposables but I would venture to say you probably would get longer time. They do have a small field solar recharger but it takes so long to recharge the batteries (days) that it would be more beneficial to use a higher watt cell. Mine is 40 watts but I use it for a lot of things. I haven't tried it in extreme cold and when skiing up north it and the batteries stay in my pocket. I have the tablets in cas e the cold affects the use of the batteries but I think the Opti may help out a little. It kills just about everything in the water, do some internet surfing and there is a lot of good feedback in general. There was originally when it first came out many moons ago some issues but a lot of the bugs worked out. I think you will like it, they are at a very good price for the performance it offers.

#198880 - 03/24/10 06:40 PM Re: New SteriPEN Adventurer Opti [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

oldsoldier, I can't speak for the cold climates but as long as you get the turbidity (cloudy water) relativity clear it will kill everything in the water but pesticides,mercury etc. You can clear the water (which I know you know) by using a bandanna, tee shirt, scoop the upper part of the water or just let the water stand for a while to get the water clear. It just needs to expose everything in the water with the UV light to kill it, muddy water acts like a shade in the sun and you have to remove the shade so they can't hide. I have heard people who have kept the pens in the pocket and batteries in the pocket have had success, I have only tried it in warmer temps to about 30 degrees.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.