The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#198715 - 03/23/10 12:53 AM Critique my PSK please
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
First attempt, came out to be a whopping 40 oz. This is a backpack kit that will complement what I always carry on me, which include but not limited to knives, multitools, flashlights etc.

1st row: ziplock bags, hockey tape, 20 ft paracord, carabiner, diamond sharpener, LED light, pencil, tealights, spork, ducttape with a 2" firesteel core, storm match with 25ft fishing line, compass and brass wire, 3 trioxane tabs,

2nd row: strike anywhere match dipped in wax, 10 yd dental floss, needles, some pills, water purification tabs, bandaid, ethanol swipes, fishing hooks/leaders/jigs, glass signal mirror, fox 40 (storm whistle turned out to be too big to fit).

3rd row: keychain LED light, mag block and 3 utility knife blades, paperclips, fatwood, spare battery for LED light, Vic OHT, head net, AMK heatsheet blanket, tyvek paper, aluminum foil.

All inside a orange 1st aid bag, a bit misleading perhaps but it's the only bag that fits. Original plan was a SS lunchbox but that was a tad too small. So I'll have a SS water bottle instead.

Lemme know what you think, and what need to be added/removed.

#198717 - 03/23/10 01:42 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Very nice kit. I like fire, so if it were mine, I would add a Bic lighter. Where you live you shouldn't need to pack fatwood, you have pine pitchwood and birchbark. I suggest that you replace the fatwood with cotton balls smudged with vaseline. You could start those with your firesteel stick. Is this a summer kit? If not, how will you melt snow for water? Just one man's opinion......... Have fun tweaking your kit. I am several years into that myself, and still changing it often.

#198718 - 03/23/10 01:52 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Seems to me like you have the basics covered. A lot depends on the situation/s and location/s your designing your kit for.

#198722 - 03/23/10 01:58 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Yeah melt snow is a problem, that's why my original plan was using a stainless lunch box, but that was too small. frown My thinking is since it'll be in a backpack, a stainless water bottle will accompany it.

#198727 - 03/23/10 03:27 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: ]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

The fishing stuff I have is plucked out of my tackle bag, 20lb fireline, scented jig, assorted hooks and leaders, I think it beats any ready made survival fishing kit.

Good idea on the loaf pan, going to find one tomorrow.

#198729 - 03/23/10 04:24 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: ]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Is this the one? I know my stuff is better than what's in that kit.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Survival%20Kits.htm (scroll down)

#198731 - 03/23/10 07:26 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
You have both hockey tape and duct tape? If you want to cut down on something, one kind of tape will probably do. Or maybe not, you may have something specific in mind - tell us smile

I'd added a lighter and some petroleum jelly cotton balls.

I prefer bivy bags ("space bags") rather than so-called "heat sheet". One particular important use of the sheet is to wrap it around yourself, seeking that shape which is perfected in - a bag smile
A bag can be converted to a sheet in less than 10 seconds with that knife of yours, but converting a sheet to a bag is plain frustrating. But a bag is bigger, and may not fit the PSK constraint. Consider bringing one in your backpack along with your water bottle - it will be a huge comfort and safety improvement. AMK's Thermo-Lite 2 Emergency Bivvy Sack weighs 7 oz and is pretty popular. The heat sheet will then be a "last ditch" option as well as a handy multi-use item: Snug inside your bivy bag and use the heet sheet as a fire reflector or waterproof lean-to. Voila, your survival mishap has just turned into an involuntary uncomfortable camping experience...

Blisters: Add something for 'em. You can sneak in some Compeed blister pads. Or use sports tape. I don't know if duct tape or hockey tape works on blisters, but you would want to know before you need it.

Good thinking on the spare battery for the LED lamp! If you use that light on a regular basis the battery will be drained when you need it. Or the light may switch on inside your pack. But do you have the tools to switch battery?

#198734 - 03/23/10 08:56 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: MostlyHarmless]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

The AMK bivy bag was quite big, too big to fit into my PSK so I have to go with their emergency blanket instead.

I don't know how different hockey tape is from sports tape, but they sounds similar. It's a thin fabric tape that's soft and flexible (not stretchable), water resistant, stick to skin quite well, add traction to stuff, overall quite a few uses. But I probably don't need the whole roll, so maybe I can make a smaller one.

The spare cell is actually for the light in 1st row so no tools needed.

#198740 - 03/23/10 11:53 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
To save money, I would get rid of the Strike anywhere and go with some storm proof matches tucked inside a Waterproof Plastic Match container from Wally-World for $1 and Cut a piece off the striker and stick it to the inside of the lid (its adhesive on one side) and tuck your tinder and other materials in there too. I can mail you some Storm proof matches if you do not want to pay the shipping charges!

I agree with Mostly. The bags are so much better! Unless there is no wind in your area or 3 MPH at the most, the bag will do SO much more than the blanket because... well try it with a box fan! its not easy!

Nice kit overall, I would use a PSP or tin as a Base, thats what i did! Thanks Paramedic Pete <-- if you ever find this guy online.. He can help you out ALOT! Buddy him too!

#198741 - 03/23/10 11:58 AM Re: Critique my PSK please [Re: jzmtl]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
To be honest, you could probably dump the spare battery. Simply because, if you keep up on your kit maintenance, the battery should be good. And, its used intermittently-moving at night, unless you absolutely have to, in a survival situation, can put you in more danger than you already are. I dont carry spare batteries in any of my kits-its a personal choice of mine, I thought I would pass along.
Also, I echo the comment on the tape-stick with quality duct tape-no need to carry both. If you're concerned about using the medi-tape for medical stuff-many folks on here, including myself, can attest that duct tape and a piece of T shirt can double as a bandage. Duct tape is included in most manufactured kits for a reason smile.
I would suggest a SAK with a saw blade, and toss the razor blades. I see that you have an SAK OHT-I will be honest, I have no clue what that is. A rule of thumb though-minimize what you carry, and maximize its usage. IF you can get one tool that does several jobs, use that. A SAK with a saw blade is your knife, saw, and whatever other tools it comes with. SAKs are great to pack-multitools are the rage now, but a good quality SAK is a great tool to throw in a kit.
I LOVE the mosquito headnet. Thats something I need to pack in mine!
Overall, I think your kit is great. The fun part is tweaking-I have been doing that for YEARS, and still am not satisfied with what I have smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.