Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198477 - 03/20/10 12:43 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
This somewhat overlaps with the looong thread "... and a pot". http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=188249&page=1. Lots of interesting angles to this problem.

The holy grail of PSK container and cooking pot is yet to be found - all those compromises between capacity, ease of use, shape and bulk. Thseng found a source for square, flat containers, no welding seams (page 13 of the "...and a cup" thread) which probably would be a winner - but hit a dead end due to minimum production requirements. If someone has confidence in their ability to sell more than 60.000 of these then that project may come to life...

I was in on that thread. If some one wants to venture out on the 60,000, I'll take at least a couple. There's a start. smile

#198546 - 03/20/10 10:35 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: miner]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Nalgene now sells the Guyout Designs stainless bottle. It's shaped like a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle, but the body is all stainless steel.

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Stainless-Steel-Water-Bottle/dp/B001O0LX9C

If you can get to one, Target stores sell stainless steel coffee cans. They fit on the end of a 32oz Nalgene. With the lid, they're kind of bullet-shaped. I think they're under $10, hiding somewhere in the kitchen storage area. They also sell a smaller and larger size for sugar, flour, etc. I need to buy some or at least take pictures since I can never find any online.

#198570 - 03/21/10 01:45 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: ratbert42]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: ratbert42
Nalgene now sells the Guyout Designs stainless bottle. It's shaped like a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle, but the body is all stainless steel.

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Stainless-Steel-Water-Bottle/dp/B001O0LX9C

If you can get to one, Target stores sell stainless steel coffee cans. They fit on the end of a 32oz Nalgene. With the lid, they're kind of bullet-shaped. I think they're under $10, hiding somewhere in the kitchen storage area. They also sell a smaller and larger size for sugar, flour, etc. I need to buy some or at least take pictures since I can never find any online.

Is the Nalgene/Guyout item a double wall product? I seem to have trouble either finding double wall SS bottles, or actually determining if the bottles I see in the store are of double wall construction.

RIP OBG

#198572 - 03/21/10 01:58 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: Desperado]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Desperado

Is the Nalgene/Guyout item a double wall product? I seem to have trouble either finding double wall SS bottles, or actually determining if the bottles I see in the store are of double wall construction.

The Nalgene is single wall. What I don't like about SS bottles is that they sweat a lot more then other materials. This is ok when you are only ever keeping the bottle on the outside of your pack. However in the hotter temperatures, I prefer to keep my 2nd bottle in the pack so that the water stays colder longer. With the SS bottles (regardless of brand) ensure that the bottle in the pack is kept away from such things as clothes and socks. I speak from personal experience on this one...

John Lubbock

#198580 - 03/21/10 04:34 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: ]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Curious if anyone has tried one of the many styles of the GSI bottles with the DogBone for wrapping duct tape around?

No perks just asking

Also I've seen discussion about rewrapping duct tape around other items. How easy is this to do, and when you go to peal it off, has its lost any of it's integrity from being unwound and rewound?

Edited by T_Co (03/21/10 04:37 PM)

#198581 - 03/21/10 05:21 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: T_Co]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have not used any of the GSI bottles, but I like to wrap duct tape around Bic and Mini Bic lighters to always have some on me in a small amount of space. Duct tape fits around the mini bic perfectly, and makes it easier to hold on to.

#198585 - 03/21/10 05:39 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: T_Co]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I wrap duct tape around one of my hiking poles, and it seems to be unaffected and quite reusable, even after periods of a year or more. Hot storage conditions would probably degrade the tape.

#198590 - 03/21/10 06:51 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

I have several. They're single walled and I cook with them often.

I have one of these Nalgene SS bottles also. With a mouth opening of just 2 inches and a bottle depth of 7 inches, outside of a survival situation, I cannot see how you could "cook with them often" unless you are warming up water or a watery broth soup based dinner. If you scorch and burn any food in these bottles, it is not going to be easy cleaning and scouring the inside of these bottles...

I can think of a lot better containers to cook with.

John Lubbock

#198612 - 03/21/10 10:12 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
[/quote]

Soup and tea only, obviously.

Several freeze dried meals (Mountainhouse comes to mind) are sold in pouches into which you simply pour hot water to reconstitute a meal that would certainly be acceptable for survival situations. You can also roll your own.

As long as you have that nice cup of tea you will be fine.

#198619 - 03/21/10 11:45 PM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

That sounds pretty darn intriguing. I'll try that on one of my longer bike rides. I'll bet it will be a nice change from the ever present Clif bars.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.