The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#189397 - 11/29/09 12:17 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I used to live in San Jose, CA, and the thought of trying to get out of SF after a major quake makes my stomach queasy just thinking about it. It would probably be more of a nightmare than I can even imagine, and I have a really good imagination.

Peninsula with only one direction out, part of the area built on fill (add water and jiggle), peninsula with major tidal surge hitting it from both sides, over 17,000 people per square mile, overpasses every half-mile, and the way out empties into Santa Clara County, which is almost as densely populated as SF, and it would probably have as much damage as SF but over five times the area.

Philip, you have my sympathy on trying to plan for that. Make sure you have several pairs of sturdy boots and a belt that carries a lot of water. And an AK-47 or something would be nice, too.

Sue

#189399 - 11/29/09 12:38 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Another Schwimmwagen...price on request...
http://www.forzamotorsports.com/scwim1/default.htm

Edit: standard disclaimer...

Edited by UncleGoo (11/29/09 02:59 PM)

#189404 - 11/29/09 04:13 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: Susan]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
:-) Nah, we'll be alright. No guns necessary, as they weren't in New Orleans. I figure we'll have rescuers in within a month, so our food and clothing will see us through if our van doesn't get trapped in a fire. And since it's parked near our condo, they'll both go up in flames.

#189405 - 11/29/09 04:14 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Katrina and New Orleans are a different kind of problem and can't really be
> compared to any other situation in the US.

Why is that?

#189440 - 11/29/09 07:09 PM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: philip]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: philip

There are problems. Unlike Texas, I basically have only one escape route: south. I live on a peninsula:

The schwimwagen ("swimming car") is a hilarious proposal, but it made me thinking. I don't know if a boat is a viable option for you? Unless you enjoy boating it would be another of those "better to have it and not need it" - items, but get far less attention than a schwimwagen....

An 17 foot boat can easily transport loads of gear and about 5 people, and is still small enough to be transported on a regular trailer pulled by an ordinary car. You would need to have some arrangements on your destination, such as friends coming to pick you up. You also need good weather forecasts - you don't want to be surprised by bad weather in a 17-footer, particular when loaded to maximum capacity.

It would give you another option to your 1-month bug-out plan: If staying around gets frustrating after a while, you still have the option of using your boat to get basically anywhere within your fuel capacity range. Which is FAR...

#189442 - 11/29/09 08:54 PM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: MostlyHarmless]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think that what you are suggesting would be a 17 ft "Vest Pocket Cruiser".

The "Vest Pocket Cruiser" is a sail boat that is easily trailerable, has a cuddy cabin for 2 adults or 3 very close friends, plus room for food, water, and additional gear to be stored. They are great for gunkholing over a weekend!!

The Sovereign 5.0 is an excellent example of a vest pocket cruiser with amenities.

Hunter makes a 19 ft hybrid hull (can be a motor boat or a sail boat) with many amenities for 2 - 4 persons.

My experience has been that a weekend is the max amount of time that MORE THAN 2 people can normally stand to be on most small boats.

#189458 - 11/30/09 12:42 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I think trying to take a trailered boat through the debris after a major quake would be a joke, and not a very funny one. I would bet that getting a 4WD fifty miles south would be a real trick.

And having a boat on water soon after a quake... uh... no, thanks. Even if it didn't cause a tsunami, the probable multiple aftershocks would make rough going. Not to mention all the debris in the water.

Helicopter?

Sue

#189467 - 11/30/09 01:58 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
One doesn't feel earthquakes when on the water.
A tsunami only poses a threat to boats in shallow waters.

I've sailed through New Madrid, Mo many times while little shakers were occurring and we never felt a thing. We only knew that shakers had occurred because I check the USGS Earthquake site.

#189472 - 11/30/09 03:34 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: wildman800]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I wasn't going to suggest it, because it sounds like a joke, but what about one or two ultralight aircraft? Pretty sure some will take off in 100 feet or so, and give you up to 100 miles or so range.

On the downside, they're very much fair weather only, a little dangerous, and you can't carry any gear to speak of. But to get off a virtual island, out of a wrecked urban area and to your suburban/mainland cache, they could be just the ticket.

#189485 - 11/30/09 05:29 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: Eugene]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I think they are right that no one would buy it. The cost between a smaller truck and full size truck isn't that much anymore,if you ad the cost of a diesel to a smaller truck then its cost will be more than a full size.

Take a look at the newer, high-efficiency diesel engines from Volkswagen and others. Even coupled with low-ratio gears and less slipstreamed form factor of a small 4WD pickup or SUV and you could probably still get much better MPG's than any gasoline powered models. They are not big on HP, but then again, 4-cylinder SUV's like the Jeep Wrangler and Suzuki Samari still make capable off-road vehicles in most conditions you would want to deal with in a survival situation.

I'd love to own a Sportsmobile. But for the same $120k I could get a pretty nice diesel-pusher RV. Not as flexible in an emergency escape situation, but great range and long-term capabilities.

Probably the ultimate survival vehicle is a dual-purpose motorcycle with full luggage options. Good range, decent carrying capability, on/off-road capable, can easily weave around most obstacles. Only room for two, you would have to sleep in tents, and be subjected to cold/rain. But if I had to escape a sudden disaster in my area, probably my only chance at rapid evacuation will be on a bike, as the roads will be hopelessly clogged with other escapees.

Plus they are just fun to ride. grin

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.