Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198360 - 03/19/10 12:53 AM What container to use for PSK?
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I'm planning to build a PSK, but not sure what container to use for it. It's not a pocket version, but something I can throw into my pack when I think I may need it.

The current options are Otter box, tupperware, 1L SS water bottle, an old SS lunchbox I have, and nylon bag.

Otterbox is very strong and waterproof, but the box itself takes up a lot of space, and there aren't much space inside a 2000.

Tupperware is waterproof and relatively compact.

A stainless water bottle would be strong and waterproof, and can be used as snow melter and water boiler if needed, but content inside would be hard to access, and the shape would be hard to carry.

The old stainless lunchbox I have is not waterproof, but can boil water, and easier to carry and access than a water bottle.

A nylon bag like this or this would be easiest to carry, to fit things inside and access them, but of course they aren't waterproof, or used as water container.

So any thoughts/suggestions?

#198364 - 03/19/10 01:11 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: jzmtl]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The problem with otter boxes and stuff is that they have no other use except to carry your PSK. Thats why I pack mine into a soup can. I can use that can in an emergency to boil water, to carry water or to cook with. This way every part of my PSK including the container has a good use. A small coffee can with the snap on plastic lid is very useful. Just wrap tape around it a few times and it is reasonably waterproof.
The round shape dosen't fit in a pocket as comfortable as a flat tin would, but it still fits. Just like anything in life, there has to be a compromise.

#198366 - 03/19/10 01:16 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: Mac]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Yeah I don't really like the otter box compare to other options. The ideal container for me would be something like the SS water bottle but wide body and mouth like a soup can, but I've never seen anything like that.

#198371 - 03/19/10 01:31 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: jzmtl]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

If you want to drop the coin, look at the snow peak solo cook set(titanium or ss)

They are larger than a can, but the same shape. It has a lid and a second cup on the bottom. I rarly venture out without mine, but I use it too often for a PSK carrier.

#198372 - 03/19/10 01:37 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: Mac]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Err yeah, $60 for a container is a bit over my budget lol.

#198381 - 03/19/10 02:06 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: jzmtl]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

If you're looking at a SS water bottle, you still need to have a big plastic or nylon bag as well. Because when you need the water bottle, you need something else to carry your kit in.

The only wide-mouth SS water bottle I've found worthwhile is this one (Filzer Kewl Water Bottle):

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442629165&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696609&bmUID=1268967370897

The entire rubber-plastic top is removable, so it's very fire-friendly. Mine has an inside diameter of about 2" (max).

BTW, if you boil up tea in one of these, plan to set it aside for a while. Must be the shape; even though it's single-wall, it takes a long time to drop to a friendly temperature.

EDIT: don't know why the hyperlink is wonky. Sorry 'bout that, but cut and paste works.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/19/10 02:11 AM)

#198383 - 03/19/10 02:22 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: jzmtl]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
How about using a wide mouth 32 oz Nalgne bottle for the kit storage?

You can fit a lot of kit in one these bottles which can be carried in your back pack or attached to the outside on a lashing strap etc. Since you always need water, carry a SS bottle that can be used for boiling the water if needed.

John Lubbock

#198385 - 03/19/10 02:25 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: dougwalkabout]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Heh, that's exactly the one I'm looking at. The mouth is still a little small, accessing content would be hard without dumping everything out first.

Of course a few ziplock bags will be included no matter what I end up using.

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
How about using a wide mouth 32 oz Nalgene bottle for the kit storage?

You can fit a lot of kit in one these bottles which can be carried in your back pack or attached to the outside on a lashing strap etc. Since you always need water, carry a SS bottle that can be used for boiling the water if needed.

If I use that, I might as well use a SS bottle for storage, no? For actual water use I still prefer a transparent one so I can see how much is left with a glance.

Edited by jzmtl (03/19/10 02:30 AM)

#198387 - 03/19/10 02:27 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
If you're looking at a SS water bottle, you still need to have a big plastic or nylon bag as well. Because when you need the water bottle, you need something else to carry your kit in.

The only wide-mouth SS water bottle I've found worthwhile is this one (Filzer Kewl Water Bottle):

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442629165&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696609&bmUID=1268967370897

The entire rubber-plastic top is removable, so it's very fire-friendly. Mine has an inside diameter of about 2" (max).

BTW, if you boil up tea in one of these, plan to set it aside for a while. Must be the shape; even though it's single-wall, it takes a long time to drop to a friendly temperature.

EDIT: don't know why the hyperlink is wonky. Sorry 'bout that, but cut and paste works.

Doug:

Those are good bottles, I was looking at them in an actual MEC store just over an hour ago...

Here is a clickable link to the bottle

John Lubbock

#198388 - 03/19/10 02:33 AM Re: What container to use for PSK? [Re: jzmtl]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

It depends....Are you carrying the PSK in case you loose your main backpack? If this is the case, then having both bottles gives you more options.

My PSK is alays based on the scenario that it is all the gear I would have to work with if I lost my pack.

On the other hand if you think you will never loose the pack then the SS bottle will suffice.

BTW, the SS bottle Doug mentioned. The diameter of the lid is much smaller then it looks in the photo link.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.