Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#198177 - 03/17/10 12:02 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Helle Odel or

The Fallkniven Mod F1 is also recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVzMYHrPeA

That Helle is a sweet looking knife and performed well in the video. Hmmm...

John Lubbock

#198213 - 03/17/10 08:59 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Teslinhiker]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
For just $18 more than $100 you can get the Ritter folder. See this sites home page.
The Sock

#198235 - 03/17/10 02:21 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Art_in_FL]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
My opinion regarding large knives is quite different from yours. You forget that knives are also used as weapons, and in countries were guns are allowed only for hunting or target shooting, a large knife is something you depend upon for defense against two-legged or four-legged critters. Probably you don't have to face it in the USA but down here, running into cimarron dogs or pumas or, God forbid it, boars, is a distinct possibility. I agree with you that large knives are unwieldy and heavy, but sometimes that weight can be mighty reassuring!

#198255 - 03/17/10 08:59 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: TheSock]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: TheSock
For just $18 more than $100 you can get the Ritter folder. See this sites home page.
The Sock

Yah, if you can stretch just a bit the full size RSK is $118: Doug Ritter RSK.

While it is basically a Benchmade Griptilian, it has dual studs and is flat ground.

Good improvements on an already outstanding knife IMO.

I have one in the limited edition M2 steel, and it hasn't left my pocket since.

-john

#198270 - 03/18/10 01:27 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: GauchoViejo]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
My opinion regarding large knives is quite different from yours. You forget that knives are also used as weapons, and in countries were guns are allowed only for hunting or target shooting, a large knife is something you depend upon for defense against two-legged or four-legged critters. Probably you don't have to face it in the USA but down here, running into cimarron dogs or pumas or, God forbid it, boars, is a distinct possibility. I agree with you that large knives are unwieldy and heavy, but sometimes that weight can be mighty reassuring!

Different strokes for different folks but IMHO a knife wouldn't be my first choice for any of that. A 3" to 4" blade works fine on humans. Poking holes, even just random stabbing, tends to back off any but the most motivated attacker. For wild animals, four legged or two, I lean more toward a good stick. Five foot of stout hardwood helps maintain a safe distance as we negotiate the relationship.

Given that you need to be close to use it as a weapon I wouldn't think a knife, even a large knife, would be the best option. But then again if it is all you have go with what you got.

#198272 - 03/18/10 01:38 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Art_in_FL]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

We do a lot of boar hunting with Cattahaula dogs, and we have tried many knives and spears. In our experience, spears are not very good. Once the dogs grab the boar you go in from 4 o'clock and stab behind the shoulder. Our favorite knife has a 9 inch blade 1/4" thick with a clip point and razor sharp. Handguard is a must 'cause blood makes the handle slippery and you could cut your fingers.

#198273 - 03/18/10 01:44 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Art_in_FL]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

I lean more toward a good stick. Five foot of stout hardwood helps maintain a safe distance as we negotiate the relationship.

[/quote]

Sticks are nowhere to be find in the pampas, it's just grassland, so if you want a stick you have to bring it with you. In the northern provinces where you have subtropical bush, you always carry a machete, and a smaller knife, 4 or 5 inch.

#198274 - 03/18/10 01:51 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: GauchoViejo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I recommend a Leatherman Wave or similar - very versatile and useful. I wouldn't baton with one, but then I wouldn't baton with anything, and I have never felt the need to, ever.

#198275 - 03/18/10 01:59 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Hghvlocity]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I would recommend a Gerber LMF II if you want a good batoning knife. I used mine in an emergency to cut thru a cable using a wrench to whack the back of the blade with. I quick touch up and the edge was fine(the coating was scratched off) but thats no big deal.

I got mine in Canada for less than 100 bucks, I'm sure you can find it down south for even less being that it's made in the U.S

For folders check out the Dozer made by K-bar(I think)

If you are hell bent on battoning with a knife, any folder isn't really a good idea. Maybe only for very, very light stuff and then it better have a really solid lock mech. I found out the hard way. blush

Edited by Mac (03/18/10 02:04 AM)

#198278 - 03/18/10 02:17 AM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Art_in_FL]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Batoning is largely an exercise in impatience and a way for guys who favor big knifes, what they are compensating for is anyone's guess, to justify carrying the extra weight and bulk of an over-sized knife. I think it gets overlooked that Crocodile Dundee and Rambo were caricatures and their over-sized knives were part of the joke. It looks all woodsy and manly to be whacking a great wedge of steel through stuff with a club, and it makes a great video and advertising, but the actual utility is quite limited.

What the hell is everyone's beef on this forum with large knives anyway?

A lot of times I have a kukri strapped to my pack because its lighter than an axe for when I need to do some light chopping. To my belief, I wasen't trying to compensate for anything, I simply match the tool to the job. Sometimes a job calls for a bigger blade. will bet my last dollar I can make that knife do things that most of you wouldn't consider doing with an axe or a saw(or both)

A large blade can do everything a small blade can, but not the other way around.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.