Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#198466 - 03/19/10 07:44 PM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: oldsoldier]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Motorcycles dont work well in 2' of snow-which is something I may have to contend with. OTherwise, I agree with you smile

The only vehicle you are likely to have access to that works in 2' of snow is a snowmobile, and it has some serious limitations.

I am not convinced there is a perfect vehicle for GOOD. I think 4WD is good, as is above average ground clearance. Probably better to have a smaller rather than a larger vehicle in case you need to maneuver in tight spaces. More on board fuel carrying capacity is good. A roof rack gives you a lot of flexibility with cargo carrying. A vehicle has protection from the elements (and at least some from 2 legged predators) that is not available on a motorcycle. But a motorcycle does have flexibility that other vehicles do not have on just where you can take it.

Bob

#198480 - 03/20/10 01:39 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: ILBob]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I can't think of too many situations where you would have to bug out (from home) in sub-freezing weather. The conditions that would be a problem for you would also be a problems for others who might be causing you problems. Keep 'em outside long enough, let 'em freeze, then drag them off to feed to the coyotes and bears.

Sue

#198823 - 03/24/10 03:23 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: JohnE]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> If you can out of that hellhole called San Francisco, I'll give you a hand here
> in SoCal if I can.

The only place that rattles more the SF? No, thanks!

:->

#198858 - 03/24/10 02:39 PM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: Susan]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Susan
I can't think of too many situations where you would have to bug out (from home) in sub-freezing weather. The conditions that would be a problem for you would also be a problems for others who might be causing you problems. Keep 'em outside long enough, let 'em freeze, then drag them off to feed to the coyotes and bears.

Sue

Thats my plan for a zombie attack, in a nutshell.

#198861 - 03/24/10 03:10 PM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sue

We had an ice storm here a few years ago that knocked down a lot of power lines. A lot of peole had to bug out to a hotel for a week to have a warm place to stay in the freezing weather.

#198898 - 03/25/10 12:07 AM Re: Survival in vehicles [Re: Eugene]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Eugene

Sue

We had an ice storm here a few years ago that knocked down a lot of power lines. A lot of peole had to bug out to a hotel for a week to have a warm place to stay in the freezing weather.

Here's another example:

"The Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania was the site of America's worst commercial nuclear accident. On March 28, 1979, a combination of technical malfunctions and human error caused the reactor core of Unit Two to melt, releasing radioactivity and forcing the evacuation of thousands of local residents"..................

If I remember right, the total number of displaced people hit 140,000. You never know.

Attachments
three1.jpg

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.