The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197863 - 03/12/10 06:12 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Compugeek]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I bought some of those, and I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to do pick up a few cheap fixed blade knives for redundancy - placing one in different vehicles, for example. the sheath is lousy but as I've said before they keep you from getting poked when you are rummaging around in your center console smile

If you get them from SG make sure you troll the intarwebz, I can usually get $10 off a $20 purchase that way, which at least pays for the shipping.

No aff.

#197867 - 03/12/10 06:51 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Compugeek]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Sound advice, but I believe dirks/daggers are double edged. Which Mora's certainly aren't. I think there's also a CA law that prohibits concealed knives though over 4" (or maybe that was just folders).

CA knife law considers any fixed blade a "dirk or dagger", regardless of edges. Open carry (in a sheath) is fine, concealed carry is prohibited.

There is no limit on length for a folding knife in CA law for "concealed" (ie, in a pocket) carry, provided it is not "self-opening" (a complex subject that boils down to "is it a switchblade?").

There are length limits for schools and universities/colleges.

Courthouses, afaik, still prohibit all knives, regardless of blade length.

A few SoCal cities also have local limitations on blade length. LA, for example, has a 3" limit.

(I'm not a lawyer, this is just a very relevant subject for me. smile )

So, if you come to California, a fixed blade in a bag is a felony.

But, outside of sensitive areas, (1000 ft around schools etc.)
you can carry a shotgun in a guitar case. But not a DR's
mini knife in an altoids tin!

Edited by clearwater (03/12/10 06:58 PM)

#197885 - 03/12/10 10:16 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: NobodySpecial]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
Mec is a Candian version of REI
The bag is known as the 'Vancouver handbag' mec shoudler bag

You are close. My EDC kit bag is the MEC Bon Vivant Shoulder Bag which is a bit smaller.

John Lubbock

#197900 - 03/13/10 01:51 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: clearwater]
Klitzke Offline
Stranger

So if I go to a Walmart in Cal. and buy a set of steak knives, am I in violation of the law if I carry them out to my car in a walmart bag? Or must I open the package prior to leaving the store and stick them all in my belt?

#197902 - 03/13/10 03:40 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Klitzke]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
In most cases you'll be fine in regard's to purchasing Knives at WalMart in The Republic of California,& Walking to your vehicle,thereof!Just be SURE,You are NOT wearing Kangaroo Leather,ANYTHING,as Kangaroo Leather is Illegal to Own/Sell in This Beloved State of The Union,Hide them Brownings if you got em'! LOL!

#197908 - 03/13/10 05:25 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Compugeek]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, guys, I was trying to be subtle last night.

Judging anything outside of California relative to the legality of it in California is kinda silly. Or to any major metro areas. The rest of the world is a little different.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#197910 - 03/13/10 05:57 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: ironraven]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Teslinhiker, all a knife has to do is cut. That one looks like it'll cut.

You could do worse at several times the price.

Inexpensive, as long as it is still functional means you can afford a good knife on a tight budget and then, when finances allow, buy them by the handful so there is always a good knife around.

You can also hand them out if the situation calls for it. A half-dozen people with good knives is better than a single person with six knives.

#197945 - 03/13/10 09:39 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have a Clipper and I like it a lot. Great little cutter that feels really nice my hand. Just curious, what did you pay for it? Is there a smokin' deal out there somewhere?

I'm watching for the big brother version of the Clipper, the Mora Craftline Allround. Same shape but a beefier blade.

#197954 - 03/14/10 01:20 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I have a Clipper and I like it a lot. Great little cutter that feels really nice my hand. Just curious, what did you pay for it? Is there a smokin' deal out there somewhere?

I'm watching for the big brother version of the Clipper, the Mora Craftline Allround. Same shape but a beefier blade.

I purchased my knife locally for $18.95. Unfortunately it was EOS (end of stock) as I wanted 2 of them. I ordered another knife of the same model ($22.99 though) from Workwear Canada of which I have a post office parcel notification slip so I will pick it up Monday after work.

BTW, MEC has the Frost River knife (Mora Scout) for $19.75. I have one of these knifes also and although I now prefer the Clipper, it is still a very good knife for the price.

John Lubbock

#198167 - 03/16/10 11:05 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: ironraven]
Kukulkan Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
The Canadian Criminal Code provides:

S. 2 “weapon”
« arme »
“weapon” means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use
(a) in causing death or injury to any person, or
(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person
and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm;

90. (1) Every person commits an offence who carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition concealed, unless the person is authorized under the Firearms Act to carry it concealed.
Punishment
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

On the other hand (as succinctly summarized by Ironraven), Vermont law criminalizes concealed carry of a deadly weapon only when there is intent or in prohibited locations:

Ch. 85 Weapons - T.13-4003... A person who carries
a dangerous or deadly weapon, openly or concealed, with
the intent or avowed purpose
of injuring a fellow man, or
who carries a dangerous or deadly weapon within any state
institution... or grounds [thereof]... shall be
imprisoned... or fined.
(emphasis added)

My original point stands, do some research and decide how to act based on your conclusions. I do not know how Canadian courts interpret the above and I do not know how every Canadian law enforcement officer interprets the above. I do know that if I was asked by an LEO why I was carrying a concealed knife, I would not want my answer to be: "Because somebody on the internet said it was ok." California is not the only state that enacts silly laws.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 421 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.