Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198247 - 03/17/10 04:58 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: BrianEagle]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
In order of what I started:

- volunteering at the local chapter of the Red Cross, opening shelters and responding to local disasters (house and apt fires), helping people when they're down. We recently had a full blown exercise where we opened a mock shelter and trained 40 new volunteers on dealing with people, setting up cots; with people coming in and playing shelter clients; and it also involved all the other groups at RC who do health services, mental health, emergency comms, etc. The exercise was mostly my baby, and a good time was had by all. We're now planning a bigger exercise in June where we open 3 concurrent shelters and simulate a mass disaster response. This is the most rewarding work I've done in a long time.

- I'm doing a regular diet and exercise program through my day job, and so far I'm down 35 pounds since mid-January. Like BrianEagle, I would encourage you do get out and do this now, there's no reason to wait until you're 48, but at least at 48 I have the mental attitude to ride out the rough patches and make some life changes.

- Most of my waking hours are taken up with my wife, who is battling an inoperable and incurable brain tumor, she starts radiation and chemo therapy today. Nothing ever equipped me for this fight, except maybe my undying love for her. Survival has to be counted in months and maybe years, there is no rosy end of the scenario where we come walking out of the woods to safety. Success will come if we can continue the laughter and living that she and I now see as being the most precious gift you can ever get. I am still figuring this out. All I know, hug your wife, husband, boy or girlfriends today, and your kids, and remind them how much you love them.

#198248 - 03/17/10 05:36 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

Pete

#198250 - 03/17/10 07:32 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: ProactiveOne]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
For the last 6 years or so I've been taking classes in various primitive skills and wilderness survival from several different instructors and schools.

I've been an avid hiker and camper for a little more than a decade now, and now that I am near some serious bodies of water I will start canoeing and/or kayaking.

I started laying up food and medical supplies quite some time ago and now have several years worth, just in case.

I've been studying simple technologies that can be utilized to great effectiveness in long term emergency situations and have started collecting hand tools that don't require electricity.

As for specific time allotments it varies from month to month depending on a number of outside influences.

I would like to study lifesaving skills, but I'm not sure where to start with this.

#198269 - 03/18/10 01:24 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
BrianEagle Offline

Loc: Northern Texas
My thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family.

#198285 - 03/18/10 03:25 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: BrianEagle]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
over 10 hours per week, if you include fiscal preparedness, planning, education/training, and supplies.

#198294 - 03/18/10 10:48 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
May God give you and your wife the strength to cope with this trial.

#198303 - 03/18/10 12:37 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: BrianEagle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BrianEagle
I read your link and it sounded pretty cool. Keept it up! You won't regret it. I won't be able to run for a while (bad knees, too much weight) but the philosophy carries over in other workout programs. Right now, I'm beginning a weightlifting program with exercise bike/walking for the cardio.

I've got bad knees and a bad back. My knees are getting better; by following the program I've been able to build up slowly. My back is getting better too, but I think that's more because I've been doing core workouts than because of the running. Running on the treadmill hurts my back more than running outside for some reason.

#198304 - 03/18/10 12:38 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Lono
there is no rosy end of the scenario where we come walking out of the woods to safety. Success will come if we can continue the laughter and living that she and I now see as being the most precious gift you can ever get. I am still figuring this out. All I know, hug your wife, husband, boy or girlfriends today, and your kids, and remind them how much you love them.

Lono,

I can't even begin to imagine what you and your wife are going through.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I sincerely hope you and your wife are able to maintain the good attitude about life that you display in your post.

Jesselp

#198305 - 03/18/10 12:39 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Lono
- Most of my waking hours are taken up with my wife, who is battling an inoperable and incurable brain tumor, she starts radiation and chemo therapy today. Nothing ever equipped me for this fight, except maybe my undying love for her. Survival has to be counted in months and maybe years, there is no rosy end of the scenario where we come walking out of the woods to safety. Success will come if we can continue the laughter and living that she and I now see as being the most precious gift you can ever get. I am still figuring this out. All I know, hug your wife, husband, boy or girlfriends today, and your kids, and remind them how much you love them.

You and your wife will be in my prayers.

#198306 - 03/18/10 12:42 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: ProactiveOne]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Well, I've personally decided that the excuse "but I have two young kids" will no longer cut it with regards to diet and exercise.

I just signed up for a sprint distance triathlon taking place on father's day this year, and I hope to use that to jump-start my fitness program. Goals are always a good thing.

Medium term goal: Lose enough weight to get off my blood pressure and cholesterol medicine. I think it will take about 30 pounds. I should probably join Martin's challenge in another thread.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.