The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198166 - 03/16/10 11:02 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: dual_primed]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I read, research, and learn a lot. Stockpile stuff. Etc.

But when I think of "training", I think of repetitive practice to make a skill second nature and hone it to as near perfection as possible. Along those lines, my "training" includes:

(1) Map & Compass & GPS
(2) Firearms and marksmanship skills
(3) Piano practice - not needed for raw survival, but if you want to "survive with style..." :-)

#198180 - 03/17/10 12:17 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: ]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have ordered several books on the Great Depression. I just got one in the mail yesterday and I'm starting it tonight. You might say I'm learning to predict the future.

#198183 - 03/17/10 12:38 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: ProactiveOne]
Happy Birthday BrianEagle Offline

Loc: Northern Texas
Getting in shape, losing weight, eating healthy. If I can accomplish that in 2010, then I'll be able to do anything.

#198184 - 03/17/10 01:05 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: ProactiveOne]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wild edible/medicinal plants and gardening.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#198185 - 03/17/10 01:06 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: haertig]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Based on the definition above (repetitive practice etc.) I must be training in patience. My kids and my job have both been giving me lots of repetitive practice on keeping my cool lately. shocked I might also qualify as training on surviving a sleep deficit.

- Eric

#198193 - 03/17/10 02:05 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Eric]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
At first glance, "training for survival" struck me as a bit of an odd concept. I fortunately been able to spend a fair amount of time outdoors pursuing both my career (archaeology) and my hobby interests (mountaineering, caving, and scuba primarily). One very soon realizes the need for preparation for unusual events and emergencies - everything from injuries to bad weather and back again.

Probably the thing that taught me the most about survival was several years of active participation in mountain search and rescue in Southern Arizona. That got me further into first aid and emergency care than anything else I have done. SAR provided many "practical exercises" and examples both bad and good.

I think that almost anyone who is at all thoughtful about life will pay some heed to survival preparation, wherever one may be living and whatever one may be doing.

#198209 - 03/17/10 05:07 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: BrianEagle]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: BrianEagle
Getting in shape, losing weight, eating healthy. If I can accomplish that in 2010, then I'll be able to do anything.

Amen

I enjoy being fit. Everything in life is better when you are in good shape. I love watching the people who brag about being survival experts gasp for breath as soon as they put that BOB they have been going on and on about forever on their back and actually trying to walk with it.

Anyone can read books on survival. Not everyone has the physical ability to go the extra mile when the SHTF though.

#198212 - 03/17/10 08:53 AM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Mac]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
>I love watching the people who brag about being survival >experts gasp for breath as soon as they put that BOB they have >been going on and on about forever on their back and actually >trying to walk with it.

You are dead right on that Mac! Like when I did karate and you'd hear people say "I'd give a flying scissor kick to the head..."
Then you'd see them put on a pair of jeans so tight they could barely walk in them. Or when our team was in a light contact tornament we were all too nervous to eat breakfast. Just how realistic was it to expect us to actually USE what we knew?
Try it to see if it works. Making lists of gear and planning are no substitute for doing it.
The Socki

#198232 - 03/17/10 02:01 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: TheSock]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
At the beginning of the year I started running. I just completed a Couch To 5K program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml, I'm signed up for a 5K race, and I'm running three times every week (this week I'll be lucky to get two runs in). I'm not fast and I can't yet run continuously more than about three miles, but I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to run faster than YOU.

For several years I've been shooting pistol competitively in a local league, and taking advantage of marksmanship and pistol combat training. This is by far the most fun that I have with clothes on. More recently I've started to compete a bit with rifle (just a few matches per year) and take some rifle training as well.

My league also offers a one-day trauma first-aid class that I haven't yet been able to attend, but it's on my to-do list. I'd like to take a full wilderness first aid class, but I don't know when I'll be able to take that much time off from work.

I signed up for my local CERT team. Training starts soon.

Finally, I read a lot. In addition to fiction, I read survival, marksmanship, pistol combatives, and first aid books. I don't confuse reading a book with training, but the knowledge gained from the books lets me plan out my training objectives and sometimes helps me get more out of the classes I take.

#198245 - 03/17/10 03:57 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Happy Birthday BrianEagle Offline

Loc: Northern Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
At the beginning of the year I started running. I just completed a Couch To 5K program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml, I'm signed up for a 5K race, and I'm running three times every week (this week I'll be lucky to get two runs in). I'm not fast and I can't yet run continuously more than about three miles, but I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to run faster than YOU.

I read your link and it sounded pretty cool. Keept it up! You won't regret it. I won't be able to run for a while (bad knees, too much weight) but the philosophy carries over in other workout programs. Right now, I'm beginning a weightlifting program with exercise bike/walking for the cardio.

For everyone: Please don't wait until your 40's to start back up. I wish I had been this motivated when I was 10 years younger.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.