Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#198101 - 03/16/10 12:54 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
In fact I would go as so far as to say that he has just been royally screwed over. I've been in this position with an ex-college of mine. She was the Assistant to the Manager of ........... Uk Ltd. He resigned. She was told that she was to act as manager until such time as a replacement was appointed. Despite being the de facto deputy manager, she was not going to get the job. She asked my advise. I told her to refuse, until or unless threatened with dismissal. Then do the job under protest. I also told her that she should secure other employment. Then resign, making it clear in her resignation that she resigns because of the companys actions.

My reasoning is/was that:

1) If your good enough to to the job "temporarily" then you are good enough to promote.

2) Doing the job and then having a new manager brought in over you will be cause anyone examining your work record to conclude that you were not up to the job. In consequence you were demoted for cause .

3) The manager is actually expecting you to show Loyalty and Commitment to them. Whilst being grossly disloyal to you as their employee.

Ok, advice. Approach your Manager. Ask him for the reasons why, despite you being expected to do the job "temporarily", you are not being considered for or being allowed to apply for the position. Do it in writing. Keep a copy.

and
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

What he does is entirly down to him. Personally I would not. For the reasons I have given.

By all means do the job for the experience but be aware that:
1) You can never go back to being one of the boys.
2) You will always be the spare, not the heir.

in my experience, Leigh "nailed it!"

#198104 - 03/16/10 01:26 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: SARbound]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Are you getting a temporary raise as well? Just curious.

#201281 - 05/02/10 04:21 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Nicodemus]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Hello everyone,

It has been more than a month now, just wanted to step in and give you some feedback.

First off, Nicodemus, I did get a 5 % temporary raise, better than nothing, but the truth is I was not going to do it for the pay raise, but for the experience I would gain.

Things are going pretty smoothly! I kept going for lunch with people as I used to do and I did not notice any changes at all.

I know that management are looking to fill in my position, but I knew that from the beginning anyways. I am getting positive feedback from my manager, co-workers seem content... Sounds like I am off for a very good start.

At first, I was a bit surprised that my manager didn't have/make time to meet me more regularly to talk about projects and different issues, however I chose not to take it too personal since I now realize he IS very busy and has his share of things to deal with.

I get along with my co-managers as well, this doesn't come as a
surprise, but still, i'm happy about that.

As for the "people management" aspect of the position, I can't say i'm too crazy about it since we have our share of slackers and poor performing people, which irritates the better, more competent employees. I'm taking it one step at a time, and I have full support from my manager to discuss about these more sensitive aspects that are more difficult to take care of.

To sum it up, I think it's going to be a very positive experience overall, and nice to add to my resume.

Oh, and THANK YOU to every one of you that took some of your time to reply to my original post, I printed the thread out and read everyone of you very carefully. I sincerely appreciate it!

SARBound

#201304 - 05/03/10 05:09 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: SARbound]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
It seems to be going fairly well thus far with the exceptions of the slackers, which every company seems to have.

Congratulations so far!

#201305 - 05/03/10 07:37 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Nicodemus]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
>As for the "people management" aspect of the position, I can't say >i'm too crazy about it since we have our share of slackers and >poor performing people, which irritates the better, more competent >employees. I'm taking it one step at a time, and I have full >support from my manager to discuss about these more sensitive >aspects that are more difficult to take care of.

We are in the depths of recession. There are plenty of people willing to work hard to replace slackers. They deserve no sympathy. They are cheating you and their colleagues by not pulling their weight. And also making you look bad by your failure to deal with them.Start giving out warnings.
Poor performance is another matter - speak to them and see what can be done. Some people won't ask for help.
And Well Done!
The Sock

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.