Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197977 - 03/14/10 07:56 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Art_in_FL]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
All good advice so far, especially Dougs. To hell with 'temporary' this is your opportunity to get the job permanently!
Stop thinking (and certainly never say) I'm 'only' temporary. You'll undermine your authority.
Your boss isn't giving you the position for possibly a year because he thinks you can't do it.
Well Done!
The Sock

#197978 - 03/14/10 08:14 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: TheSock]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Agreed Well done!.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#197985 - 03/14/10 12:51 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: leemann]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Well done. I agree with the statement about leading people. You manage programs; you lead people.

I also like Doug's input: this is your job, period. Time doesn't matter. You have to treat it like it is yours forever.

Tap into the knowledge of the others in a similar position.

Read the Lincoln book.

Have fun learning about yourself.

Congratulations!

#197995 - 03/14/10 03:57 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: MoBOB]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
When I was a team lead, I found that one of the best motivational tools I had was a chocolate chip cookie! (well, one guy didn't like chocolate chip - he got oatmeal raisin)

We had a store that sold fresh baked cookies downstairs. If someone did something that took a bit of 'extra effort' - or even met a milestone that we all knew they could make, but made sure they did it, they would come back from lunch, and find a little bag with a cookie on their desk, and a quick note from me "Thanks for XXX". It was basically a nice way to say "I noticed you did this, and thank you"

I set the goals (in my mind) low enough that most folks were going to get a cookie a week or so - sometimes more, sometimes less. I also made time to spend say 5 minutes a day at everyone's cube, as say "You having any problems, anything you need me to do?"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#198009 - 03/14/10 06:37 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: KG2V]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Like many others, I did not like being in management; however, when a new boss arrived one of the the first thing he said was to not expect any changes. If your previous boss was good and things were flowing, then maintain the same policies -- don't change things that work. If things are off, you might find out about them over lunch. Before you make any changes though, look for the unintended consequences -- dominoes fall. I never liked management. . .

#198015 - 03/14/10 08:22 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
I'll let everyone else make people management suggestions, for myself, I'll offer congratulations and suggest that in my experience "temporary" promotions often turn out permanent or a step to another upgraded position if you do a good job. Don't treat it as temporary, treat like an opportunity to earn the permanent promotion.

Sorry Doug, I don't think that is going to happen. frown

In fact I would go as so far as to say that he has just been royally screwed over. I've been in this position with an ex-college of mine. She was the Assistant to the Manager of ........... Uk Ltd. He resigned. She was told that she was to act as manager until such time as a replacement was appointed. Despite being the de facto deputy manager, she was not going to get the job. She asked my advise. I told her to refuse, until or unless threatened with dismissal. Then do the job under protest. I also told her that she should secure other employment. Then resign, making it clear in her resignation that she resigns because of the companys actions.

My reasoning is/was that:

1) If your good enough to to the job "temporarily" then you are good enough to promote.

2) Doing the job and then having a new manager brought in over you will be cause anyone examining your work record to conclude that you were not up to the job. In consequence you were demoted for cause .

3) The manager is actually expecting you to show Loyalty and Commitment to them. Whilst being grossly disloyal to you as their employee.

Ok, advice. Approach your Manager. Ask him for the reasons why, despite you being expected to do the job "temporarily", you are not being considered for or being allowed to apply for the position. Do it in writing. Keep a copy.

#198016 - 03/14/10 09:57 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think you are over reacting, and I would not advocate this course of action. I have been in this position on several occasions, and it has worked out quite well. In one case, in particular, I was in the position for slightly over a year (with a boost in pay and perks) and I had a chance to try the job on for size. How often do you get that opportunity?

One of the imponderables here is the matter of corporate/job culture, which varies vastly from occupation to occupation and from situation to situation. Leigh could be right, although I doubt it. It is hard to say, not knowing your company (we don't need to know, although you do). The chances are you show something exceptional to management and they want to see you on a trial flight. Do a decent job, and it will look good on the resume and advance the old career.

The advice you have been given about references to consult is right on. Research the subject.

Never BS the troops. Don't promise anything you can't deliver, and keep your promises. Make your expectations clear and objective. Keep an open door. I am not sure I would give up the lunches - it depends on your situation. I was frequently working with people I supervised in a field situation, where we had three meals a day together, and close contact all the time. It worked quite well, nearly always.

#198035 - 03/15/10 07:17 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
What he does is entirly down to him. Personally I would not. For the reasons I have given.

By all means do the job for the experience but be aware that:
1) You can never go back to being one of the boys.
2) You will always be the spare, not the heir.

#198038 - 03/15/10 08:05 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
In my view, some of the best leaders are found among the ones that have worked their way up through the ranks. It doesn't work with everyone - hence the term "raise to your level of incompetence", but I'd much rather be led by an experienced co-worker than a pointy haired "manager" who has a very limited understanding of what's going on.

Without knowing your company culture and organization it is hard to make any hard recommendations. In an organization where company policy dictates that you NEVER will have that position permanently I would be sceptical for the reasons Leigh posted. In a more practical oriented organization I'd jump for it. And remember you always have the option of formally educating yourself in some areas that the company would like to see in their leaders.

Go for lunch with your buddies - otherwise you're sending the message that you've just become a pointy haired snot who's too good for their company. But be frank whenever there's a conflict between your role as boss and your role as buddy. They will respect that. Remember that there is ALWAYS some inter personal relationship that does not follow organization charts. Handled correctly, such relationship are not a problem. Make a mess out of it and they will be.

Make no speeches and be frank and honest.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (03/15/10 08:07 AM)

#198062 - 03/15/10 03:02 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Art_in_FL]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I was promoted to lead a group of peers at work years ago.

Take a one-day "How to Supervise People" seminar, even if it has to be at your own expense. This is one that I like: http://www.careertrack.com/mkt_info/seminars/desc/TW.asp .

Listen to your people. Ask them for their suggestions. Then make your decision.

Praise in public, criticize in private. Criticism should be constructive whenever possible.

When something goes wrong, accept the blame. Their failures are your failures. When something goes right, give credit to the subordinate. Their successes are your successes.

Communicate clearly, and frequently. A very common source of employee discontent is a lack of feedback.

Fight to make sure your people have what they need to get the job done. Shield them from upper management foolishness.

Do not lie to your people, ever. Keep faith with them and the good ones will keep faith with you.

Don't be afraid to delegate, and don't be afraid to pitch in.

When I brought a new person on board, I gave them a little speech: "If you see me about to do something stupid, stop me. Part of your job is to keep me from stepping on my dick. I hired you for your brains, not your hands."

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.