Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197944 - 03/13/10 09:33 PM Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Hello everyone,

Phew, things have been going very fast this week at work!

On thursday, my boss announced to a co-worker and I that he had accepted another job and would be leaving very shortly. Yesterday, his boss came to see me and asked me if I was interesting in taking the job temporarily until they find someone fit to do the work. I'm still young and I never really took the time to think about my career in the medium term... Wether I would be interested in perhaps working my way up in the management levels... or simply become a great experienced employee, scoring bonuses from time to time.

I decided to accept the job, knowing that it will be temporary : anywhere from a few months to maybe a year, max.

To problem is, I don't have much time to think about all this and since I don't have that much experience managing people, I would appreciate any advice, website or book recommendations, or any other resources that some of you that went the same path found unvaluable.

Things that I intend to do :

1) Maintain the boat afloat... keep everyone happy as much as I can, encourage efforts and just try to keep things running smoothly;

2) Stop going out for lunch with "co-workers" and chit chat about work. I think they will understand, but I expect to be up-front with it and just tell them that for the time being, I can't really continue going out with them

3) Not hesitate to meet with the other boss to discuss personnel issues (problematic issues, etc.)

Things that I intend *NOT* to do :

1) Become an arrogant boss, because one day these people will become my co-workers again

2) Organize a kick-off meeting, and give a lame speech... people know what they have to do (in my line of work) and I think it would just be awkward;

I expect the announcement to be made on tuesday or wednesday...

Any help would be appreciated. What tips have been the most valuable to those of you who experienced this? What were the most important things you learned in the process?

Thank you for everything!

SARbound

#197947 - 03/13/10 10:51 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: SARbound]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If you quit going out to lunch with them, they will most likely think you're that arrogant boss. If you quit going out to lunch with them now, I wouldn't expect to pick the practice back up when the permanent replacement arrives. You're just the temp, and your boss let you know that when the term "Suitable Replacement" was used. Don't ruin your working relationship with your coworkers because you've been given a short term assignment.

I've held several managerial positions where I was promoted from within. They always went the best when I let my workers know up front that I was going to have to adhere to the rules or ask for changes where I felt it necessary, not that I ever played fast and loose with the rules anyway, and that I expected them to do the same.

Let them know up front that you will treat everyone fairly and that should now expect you to make managerial decisions whereas you didn't previously. Within that idea convey to everyone that it's Day One as far as you're concerned. If they have a clean slate no one will be freaking out over past offenses that you know about such as calling in sick so they could go to Vegas or whatever. Having said that, let them know that you're not a pushover and if someone has a recurring habit of doing things that are against company policy or other and you didn't previously report it to management, tell them that you expect the behavior to stop.

Unfortunately you're in a tough position because it's not permanent.

#197949 - 03/13/10 11:21 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Nicodemus]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
- When you make decisions stick to them. Short term, and long-term... everyone hates a boss who always changes the rules or similar weekly/monthly or just too often for the situation.

- Don't try to make everyone happy or everyone will be upset. You need to have rules, they must be followed. Don't leave it up to your old co-workers to make decisions that a manager should be making for them.

- Compliment your workers, and let them know you appreciate their work.

#197950 - 03/13/10 11:27 PM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Nicodemus]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
If this truly is temporary, I would not change a whole lot of what you are doing, as at some point you need to go back to the way it was and fit back in.

If you want it to be permanent, you will need to change some things, but it seems like the company does not trust you enough to make it permanent, putting you in a tough spot.

I don't think random people on the Internet are going to be able to give you anything approaching good advice simply because we do not know anything about your situation and it is almost certain you know a lot less than you think you do about the situation, making it hard for you to make good decisions.

The best advice I can give you is to be honest and above board with everyone. If someone asks you something you don't know the answer to - just say so. If they ask you something you are not in a position to tell them, say so.

Don't quibble and don't engage in manager speak. People who do that think they are being clever but the reality is it that it makes people trust them even less than if you flat out lied about things.

Bob

#197952 - 03/14/10 12:22 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: ILBob]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
some ideas:

1. Be yourself. Your co-workers already know you, so don't try to be something different. You can still go to lunch etc. Just be careful not to talk about the 'confidential' info you may know that is not public knowledge yet.

2. Lead, don't manage.

3. Give frequent feedback. If you see someone doing something right, say so and thank them. If you see someone doing something wrong, privately talk to them about how they should have done it. Read "The One Minute Manager" for more about this.

4. Resist at all costs the urge to micro-manage. It is amazing what giving a person a job to do and then leaving them alone to do it will accomplish.

Good luck.

#197956 - 03/14/10 01:26 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: SARbound]
timo Offline

Trying to "make everyone happy" is not a manager's responsibility. Don't even try because you'll become a door mat in short order.

Each employee has to make their own decision if they are happy doing the job they do or not.

You cannot solve everyones' problems. At best, a good manager creates an atmosphere in which their employees feel as though they can express their concerns without fear of punishment or recrimination. Sometimes people just want to get something off their chests. It's when they can't express themselves that frustration begins to ferment into disloyalty.

If employees feel as though they can come to you with a problem, that's enough.
You may not be able to solve the problem. It may not even be yours to solve in the first place. But if they feel as though you listened and heard them out and maybe offered some advice or suggestions your battle is half won.

Be yourself. But remember, plumbers are well paid because of what we are not willing to deal with ourselves. Your unhappy employees are free to wallow in misery or leave and try to find another job.

#197957 - 03/14/10 02:10 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: SARbound]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I'll let everyone else make people management suggestions, for myself, I'll offer congratulations and suggest that in my experience "temporary" promotions often turn out permanent or a step to another upgraded position if you do a good job. Don't treat it as temporary, treat like an opportunity to earn the permanent promotion.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#197963 - 03/14/10 02:55 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: Doug_Ritter]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Military practice is to promote and then move the newly promoted guy to another unit. Experience shows that it's generally very difficult for guys to make the transition and for the troops to accept it. Fresh start is better.

Temporary boss is a difficult spot to be in because orgs may or may not mean it. I was a temp boss for awhile but that was only until the unit was greatly rearranged and the 2nd level guy stayed scarce to avoid combat with his peers.

#197966 - 03/14/10 03:26 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: SARbound]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I recommend the book: "Lincoln on Leadership".

It's easy reading and interesting. Not recommended for insomniacs.

#197974 - 03/14/10 06:04 AM Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving [Re: wildman800]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If the organization is working, even nominally, don't change anything for a time. There are dynamics as a boss you probably don't fully understand so listen closely and tread lightly as you maintain continuity. If the organization is functioning the people know what they are doing.

Leading an organization that knows you as 'one of the guys' can be difficult. Taking orders from a peer is inflammatory. Some of this can be soft petaled by allowing people to come up with their own best solution. In an organization where people generally know what to do simply asking 'what do you think needs to happen', or 'how did we handle it last time'.

You taking over an organization that is generally going in the right direction. With people who are going to resent an major changes. Imagine driving a car on ice. Make any changes gentle and gradual. If you steer or brake too aggressively it will slide and you lose control.

The organization is functioning and the level of control available is limited so it is ripe for simply working over and around any leader that attempts to work the controls too aggressively for the bonds of confidence and loyalty to bear.

Lean on the sergeants. Bring the individual group leaders, those directly under the boss by flow chart of acclaim, and explain that it was just a matter of luck that you got the nod. Smooth over any potential for jealousy by stating clearly that your not going to make big changes an time soon and that you are depending on their judgment and assistance. Further that if they see you screwing up to pull you aside and explain the situation and help you through the transition. That you will listen.

Stay calm, relax, breath, listen. Don't try to changes things. Your there to manage and limit the damage caused by problems. Not necessarily to eliminate the problem. Many angry people can be placated by just listening and making it clear that your listening and really hearing them. Don't fix what isn't broken. Strive for continuity and allow people to see that you can keep things running as smoothly as the old boss.

Once they see you can handle that you can use that base level of confidence and loyalty to leverage improvements down the road once you have earned your spurs.

Do Not start out with the 'there's a new sheriff in town', 'there are going to be some changes', 'we gonna do things a new way', 'shake things up' speech. Ideally an outside observer should see no changes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.