Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#228898 - 08/01/11 05:38 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I liked the John Wayne bars,basically chocolate ultra-whipped till the cocoa butter was dry,with oatmeal added for strength/rigidity,& they were Very Rigid,lol!The concept was so we could have un-melted chocolate bars,They didn't melt & they also floated!The woobie & Poncho combo was the Best invention since the Jeep,IMHO!The steel cleaning rods for the A-1's were a big hit on Bivouac or B-tours!Cosmoline is Still used today, though,I've Never met anyone short of 1st Sgt.,who liked it!The Internet was derived from our Military,that has to be #1!

#228900 - 08/01/11 05:48 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Aussie]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Aussie
I have a few bits which I like, but something not metioned is a FRED. Australian Army Issue. Its like a p31,but much better smirk

It fits very nicely in a wallet too!

Here's a picture incase you don't know:

How well does the FRED work in reality? I thought it stood for F****** Ridiculous Eating Device.

Da Bing

#228904 - 08/01/11 06:02 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Bingley]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Bingley
How well does the FRED work in reality? I thought it stood for F****** Ridiculous Eating Device.

Da Bing

I like using it. Its longer than a p31 so you get more leverage to open cans. Its got a bottle opener, which can also be used for undoing knots, or as a screwdriver etc etc.

The spoon is small, and not very deep, so it isn't good for soup etc, but it can shovel lumps out of a can or shovel stuff into your mouth.

I guess its a better than a wooden stick, but not as good as a real spoon.

There are a few non-Army issue ones about which from my limited experiance are not as tough as the real ones.

#228916 - 08/01/11 12:26 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
US Issue is P38, not P31.

They used to come with C rations. Most of the grunts kept them on a small dummy cord on their LBE, not on dogtag chain. Land on an open P38 one time and you will not keep it on your dogtags.

#228918 - 08/01/11 01:08 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: JBMat]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JBMat
US Issue is P38, not P31.

P38's bigger cousin, P51, seems easier to use. They both fold flat, and are easy to store. If you are not pressed for space, there are more ergonomic options.

Da Bing

#229225 - 08/05/11 12:53 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Recently bought a large ALICE ruck from Allegheny on E-bay. Very pleased. Also have smaller MOLLE pouches from Cheaper Than Dirt. Most happy with surplus French Ranger boots from CTD that were $30. Also saving to buy a replica M1889 campaign hat- http://www.eureka-arsenal.com/PROD_FRAME.htm
As a veteran, my preference is solidly for MilSurplus gear. Have a fair bit, but always looking to improve.

#229294 - 08/06/11 01:07 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I just ordered two mil surplus used poncho liners from Allegheny for $9.90 each on ebay. Thats pretty cheap. I'll let you all know what the quality looks like when they arrive.

Attachments
pl.jpg

#229295 - 08/06/11 01:17 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Frisket Offline
Addict

US Canteen, 5$ Straight from the Military no third party purchase =D. The new ones have the pop top for the gas mask tube which is annoying but at the same time a Cool factor.

#229303 - 08/06/11 03:08 AM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Aussie]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Canteen Kit - canteen, stainless cup, stove, insulated pouch(with enough extra room for a few teabags and a pack of instant miso soup), water purification tablets, and you can fit a book of matches in the same pocket.

As for a single piece of gear, i have to go with the MK-VII gasmask bag.

Originally Posted By: Aussie
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Da Bing

I like using it. Its longer than a p31 so you get more leverage to open cans. Its got a bottle opener, which can also be used for undoing knots, or as a screwdriver etc etc.

The spoon is small, and not very deep, so it isn't good for soup etc, but it can shovel lumps out of a can or shovel stuff into your mouth.

I guess its a better than a wooden stick, but not as good as a real spoon.

There are a few non-Army issue ones about which from my limited experiance are not as tough as the real ones.

i've been trying to find genuine, issue FREDs for a while, but all i can find are the cheap knock-offs. any way a Yank can get ahold of the real thing?

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#229331 - 08/06/11 04:04 PM Re: Your favourite Military kit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Any recommendations on the various E-tools (entrenching, not electronic, LOL) available? I'm not crazy about US Mil-issue and looking for a better option.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.